United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 65 of 164
03 July 2014 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
PeterMollenburg wrote:

Yes tablets are a bit tricky to multi-task, that last few nights I've been clicking like mad in and out of windows
and maps on my wife's iPad reading all about les plus beaux villages de France (there's a website if you've
never heard of it, can be read in French too, to save you 'wasting' good study time).... sorry off track a little,
but these pretty villages remind me of "Un village français" I"m really really enjoying this series and last
episode to counteract my exasperation which came about following a 'basic' clip I struggled to understand as
you know, the last episode of Un village français almost felt joyous as I really began to comprehend large
components of the dialogue. Fun fun!

If you like French villages, you should check out the programme, "Les villages de France". It consists of 15-20 minute
episodes focusing on a particular village, describing a bit about the history, people and characteristics of the village.
Unfortunately I haven't been able to find out any info from the internet about the show, probably because the title is so
generic. Even a search on TV5 Monde's website yields nothing.

PeterMollenburg wrote:

As for FSI hmmm you're scaring me with the need to replay things several times, it must start to step up a bit in unit 7.
I'm actually keen to get back to it, but in due time.

I thought you had finished up to unit 12? I've repeated some tracks many times, others I was happy after one run through.
Once I get to the end of 7 I'll give the whole unit a once through before moving on to 8. Lot's of people find the
exercises dull; I find them effective and so I'm happy to do them again and again until I get them right. I think, even
if I've mastered the grammar points in an FSI lesson, the practice it provides is still excellent.

PeterMollenburg wrote:

All in all excellent work Jeffers, I can't give you any advice as it seems you're doing what's right for you and
that seems to be what's right for a good deal of learning too. Can't knock your strategy at all. Just keep on
keeping on and don't fall into the wanderlust trap is prob the only advice I can give.
PM

Thanks! I am being hit by a bit of wanderlust, and to be perfectly honest you bear part of the blame. After discussing
German resources on your log, I've been thinking about getting back to German. But don't worry, I have a plan!

1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 66 of 164
03 July 2014 at 3:50pm | IP Logged 
German study plan

As I mentioned in my last post, I want to be doing German for the next Super Challenge, which would begin in
May, 2016. So I have plenty of time in one sense, but really, two years isn't much time when it comes to
language study! My plan is to start slowly working on some of the Deutsche Welle podcast lessons, starting with
Radio D. Then I'll slowly start to revisit some of the
courses I have (Teach Yourself, Michel Thomas, InTense) as this current Super Challenge is still going on.
During the four months between the Super Challenges I will devote the majority of my language study time to
getting my German up to speed. And then (and here's the fun part), I will include German as a fourth language
for the Super Challenge. Hopefully by that time my French will be good enough that a half challenge will be
enough to keep it progressing.

Here's an initial outline of the German courses I want to work on before the next SC:
* Radio D podcasts (Deutsche Welle)
* Audiotrainer (100 short vocab podcasts on DW)
* Warum Nicht? (104 lessons from A1 to B1)
* Michel Thomas (I have the full set, basic, advanced and vocab)
* Teach Yourself Beginner's German & Teach Yourself German. If the mood takes me to work on them!
* It might be good to borrow Pimsleur German from my library, but I don't expect to have that much time!
* Some episodes from Germanpod101. I remember liking these better than Frenchpod101.

Ha ha! That means I have a language study plan until the end of 2017! Ridiculous, of course, because life has
a habit of getting in the way. Besides that, I'll never have time to complete my current Super Challenge goals,
and still complete all of those German courses. Still, it's nice to dream!

Edited by Jeffers on 03 July 2014 at 3:50pm

PeterMollenburg
AustraliaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5257 days ago

821 posts - 1273 votes 
Studies: FrenchB1

Message 67 of 164
04 July 2014 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
The villages of france show (which when you mentioned it once before I tried to find online) is only available
on Amazon from what I can figure out. I'll get it one day, as it is exactly the kind of thing I love- a combination
of language, history, culture and geography, all in my favourite place- Europe and in my favourite country too!

FSI
No i have only completed units 1 through to 6 which correlates to book 1 of "Mastering French" (that's what I
completed).

As for German... I'd encourage you for sure, but be very careful! I think a good measure is basically if you
can progress in all your languages and have room for another then it's doable, if not, then expect to fall back
in one or more of your languages. I now only take on new languages provided my current languages won't fall
back as a result ie... they all have to be able to be worked on simultaneously otherwise it's back and forth
constantly

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 68 of 164
06 July 2014 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
I put a clip on the Team Deuxième log, with a few FSI exercises that have been melting my brain lately. If you're interested, slide on over there and try them out!

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 69 of 164
06 July 2014 at 7:50pm | IP Logged 
German! Woo! Now I have a second active blog to follow!

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 70 of 164
06 July 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Gemuse wrote:
German! Woo! Now I have a second active blog to follow!

I'd love to have you following, Gemuse. I'm still holding off on studying German for a few months, though!

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 71 of 164
08 July 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Jeff, what level German are you?

Regarding learning material, one book I highly recommend is "Hugo German in 3 Months". A few of us have used that book here on HTLAL, and we all have liked it (at least the first 9 chapters, it gets a bit crazy towards the end). As a bonus, it is fairly inexpensive, especially if you get it without the audio CD.

Edited by Gemuse on 08 July 2014 at 10:15pm

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4670 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 72 of 164
09 July 2014 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
The thought of doing FSI for a second round just sounds overwhelming ... but it's such a
comprehensive course that I think it would be incredibly useful. After listening to
these clips I'm going to add this to my "to do (some day)" list.

This discussion contains 164 messages over 21 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version