ericblair
United States
Joined 4505 days ago

480 posts - 700 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French

Message 9 of 15
20 January 2014 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Iversen, what are the methods used in India and Luxembourg?
1 person has voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4152 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 10 of 15
20 January 2014 at 9:43pm | IP Logged 
What an interesting thread. Italian is fascinating!

Thanks for all the information everyone!

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5855 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 11 of 15
20 January 2014 at 11:36pm | IP Logged 
ericblair wrote:
Iversen, what are the methods used in India and Luxembourg?

Me! Me! Me! :P

I know this was addressed to Iversen, but I think I have a good answer, at least as far as India is concerned.

According to my Sanskrit teacher (an Indian in his thirties currently working on his PhD thesis in linguistics), many Indians are polyglots. In fact, if you travel a bit in India (or just go to a major city) you're bound to meet people speaking different languages.

In my corner supermarket in Lisbon there were, at a certain point in time, one Pakistani who spoke Urdu, an Indian who spoke Punjabi, a Nepali who spoke - you guessed it - Nepali, and a Bangladeshi (this word actually exists) who spoke Bengali. As you may have inferred, they all managed to speak among themselves seamlessly. Sometimes, I would go in and they would be sitting looking at some Bollywood film on a laptop, regardless of their origin (I'm talking about 4 nationalities / languages and 3 religions here, folks).

So, like Mr. Leonardo some 5 centuries ago, these guys also had to overcome whatever difficulties they had and work together, and that includes a smattering of languages.

My teacher has also told me he thinks that, for us in Portugal, languages like Spanish, French and Italian are not really foreign. He also told me that I was his first student who had already experience in learning a foreign language (Arabic does count). I mean, for this guy, even English and German are not all that foreign to a romance language speaker!

One more interesting detail: according to him, the very low prevalence of Alzheimer's disease in India is due (among others) to the fact that Indians, as polyglots, use more zones of their brain than other peoples. I don't know whether this is scientifically accurate, but he tells me that MDs are prescribing learning new languages to people over 50.

Edited by Luso on 21 January 2014 at 1:47am

7 persons have voted this message useful

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3884 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 12 of 15
23 January 2014 at 11:00am | IP Logged 
I think the Shakespeare comparison is reasonable...Most educated people here surely can
read some old literature, grasping at least the general meaning BUT by any means we
would be able to do a 100% correct translation. Some words are there but the structure
and other features really differ from the modern Italian used these days.
I'm not strictly talking about medieval writers and poets (Dante, Boccaccio) or
renaissance ones (Ariosto,Tasso,Macchiavelli) but even writings from late '700/800 can
be quite tricky to comprehend.
I'd also like to dispel myth about people from tuscany having kind of a "purer" Italian
to the point their dialect would eventually let them understand old writings better.
We've got many many dialects but what make you recognizable has much more to do with
accent than sentence structure or other grammatical stuff.
Four or five words are really all we need to understand where people come from

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6497 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 13 of 15
23 January 2014 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
I think Luso gave the same answer as I would have done, and I couldn't have formulated it better.

komorebi
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3781 days ago

10 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Japanese, Latin

Message 14 of 15
02 February 2014 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Wow, thank you all for your information and input! It's been very helpful.

Luso wrote:
In conclusion, Leonardo wouldn't have much trouble communicating with an Italian of today, not only
because he was a somewhat smart guy (:P), but also because all of his life he would have dealt with all sorts of
Italian dialects.

Iversen wrote:
So how come that a man like Leonardo could move around in Italy and even to France without ever
taking a language course? OK, smart guy and all that, but probably those who travelled in 1500 had to be more adept
at understand different ways of speaking, and they knew that they would starve unless they really did something to
learn the languages of the places they settled.

These two thoughts have been extremely helpful and quite obvious when I think about it :) Thanks for pointing them
out!
After all, Leonardo has lived in Florence, Milan, Rome and even France, and he travelled a lot, too. So of course,
he would have been in contact with people from all sorts of places. And somehow they must have been able to talk to
each other ^^

While this is by no means a guarantee that he would understand modern Italian or be understood, it makes it easier
to believe that he could adapt to someone speaking a rather strange Italian (from his point of view).

chiagnology
Italy
Joined 3734 days ago

11 posts - 13 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, German

Message 15 of 15
11 February 2014 at 2:20am | IP Logged 
Iversen made a good point! People like Leonardo were well versed in many languages back then.
Have you read the book "The Abyss" (French: L'Oeuvre au noir/Ita: L'opera al nero) by the belgian writer Marguerite Yourcenar? Here's depicted the life of a young intellectual,Zeno, who travels across Europe during the renaissance and get acquainted with many european kings who ask him to do things no one could do. He is a fictional character but not so far removed from the real life examples. Besides being artists and scientists,they were renowed for their language skills which allowed them to be the real ambassadors in 15th-16th century.

Edited by chiagnology on 11 February 2014 at 2:22am

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version