Matt G
United States
Joined 4038 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Persian, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 16
17 January 2014 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
Hello. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on an inexpensive tablet computer for language learning? Reliability is key, and I'd prefer something that easily supports pop-up foreign languages dictionaries, as well as video chat, etc. Are there any brands/models/or operating systems that I should definitely avoid? It doesn't have to be a 2014 model.

Thanks!

Edited by Matt G on 17 January 2014 at 5:12pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4035 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 2 of 16
17 January 2014 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Acer Iconia Acer Iconia A1-810 7.9" has proven to be adequate for everything I have needed it. Apparently it's currently $120 in Amazon which is very very little for this device. It does support video chats due to two cameras of which the smaller is facing the user, and because it runs Android it's highly customizable.

Let's see if I can link it without the software thinking I'm a spambot (if such a thing exists in this forum's code)

Here.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5001 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 3 of 16
18 January 2014 at 8:04pm | IP Logged 
I use a Samsung 10.1 but it was left over from a project so it cost me nothing

hrhenry
Octoglot
United States
languagehopper.blogs
Joined 4912 days ago

1871 posts - 3642 votes 
Speaks: English*, SpanishC2, ItalianC2, Norwegian, Catalan, Galician, Turkish, Portuguese
Studies: Polish, Indonesian, Ojibwe

Message 4 of 16
18 January 2014 at 9:27pm | IP Logged 
Matt G wrote:
Hello. I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations on an
inexpensive tablet computer for language learning? Reliability is key, and I'd prefer
something that easily supports pop-up foreign languages dictionaries, as well as video
chat, etc. Are there any brands/models/or operating systems that I should definitely
avoid? It doesn't have to be a 2014 model.

Thanks!

There are so many tablets out there now that you pretty much have your pick as to what
you want and in any price range.

I can't speak for iPads, but all relatively new Android tablets can handle what you
want to do, as long as you stay with Ice Cream Sandwich and above, preferably Jelly
Bean. Kit Kat is the latest, but you won't find any super inexpensive tablet with it
installed, assuming by inexpensive, you're looking at ~100 dollars or so.

Lots of pop-up dictionaries are available for Android. My favorite is Goldendict. It
can accept a few different dictionary formats out there including Babylon, which I've
found to be fairly complete (and many are free).

If you are familiar enough with Android, this may not be so important, but make sure
your tablet isn't so cheap as to not have the ability to load Google Play. That's where
you'll find all your apps. If you feel comfortable with loading apps outside the Google
Play ecosystem, there are plenty of other app stores, such as Amazon Appstore, 1Mobile,
etc. You can find most apps in these stores/markets, although they may not be as up to
date as what you'd find in Google Play.

R.
==
4 persons have voted this message useful

Matt G
United States
Joined 4038 days ago

4 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Persian, Modern Hebrew

Message 5 of 16
19 January 2014 at 1:34am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the suggestions - I appreciate it!

Matt G.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4671 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 6 of 16
19 January 2014 at 1:50am | IP Logged 
The Kindle Paperwhite is awesome for reading. I use it more than a tablet, as it's
closer to "book size" and much easier to throw in my pack for use on the bus, plane, or
at work. I strongly prefer kindles over any tablet for books.

For documents, streaming, chat, or anything else, you need a tablet ... but if it fits
your budget I'd get both.

I have a first gen iPad, which works ok for streaming, but I think there are a lot
better options these days.

reem2014
United Arab Emirates
Joined 3744 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes

Message 7 of 16
20 January 2014 at 3:13pm | IP Logged 
I wish you reach to a conclusion and find useful tables, to share it with us, as i am looking for the same.

Jheavner724
Decaglot
United States
Joined 3828 days ago

5 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, French, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Old English
Studies: Vietnamese, Sign Language, Hindi, Sanskrit, Mandarin, Japanese, Korean, Romanian, Russian, Arabic (Written)
Studies: Macedonian, Mongolian, Tagalog

Message 8 of 16
21 January 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
I don't think it particularly matters which tablet you use, though the app stores
available may be an issue. Any iPad, Nexus, Note or similar device should be
sufficient. As long as it utilizes either the Android, Kindle, or Apple app store, you
should be fine.

You'll likely just read PDFs using the Acrobat application, listen to audio, watch
video, read things using iBooks/Kindle/GooglePlayBooks, and use applications such as
LingQ, Duolingo, or Memrise, which most mainstream tablets can do (some extremely
inexpensive tablets may not be able to do such things).

I have a Nexus 7 and it works very well. I've also used Kindles, iPads, Galaxies and a
few lesser-known tablets (which often times are not a good choice, especially for
language learning, in my experience at least).

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version