93 messages over 12 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9 ... 11 12 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 65 of 93
27 February 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
gregf wrote:
From the competition description (http://6wc.learnlangs.com/howto ):

"However, please consider whether you are focussing [sic] on the language. If you're doing something where the language is not your one and only focus (e. g. ironing while playing a podcast in the background, or watching a TV show where you mostly focus on the native-language subtitles and don't intently listen to the target-language audio), please only award yourself a fraction of the minutes, corresponding to the percentage of your attention that you gave to the target language. For 60 minutes of studying to count as 60 minutes in this scoring, you have to be 100% focussed [sic] on learning your target language."

She gives herself credit for 6 hours about once a day. She also claims that it only represents half the time she actually spends. Which means she spends 12 hours every 24 hours listening to music. I think that's BS, but I'm not going to get riled up about it. ;)
focussed/focussing is not a mistake, though I don't like this spelling either.
I think it's much better to count many hours of music than to count the time spent using textbooks that contain very little L2.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4689 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 66 of 93
28 February 2014 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
More like 3 hours (which amounts to 6 hours) per day.

How does 3 hours of listening amount to 6 hours?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4689 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 67 of 93
28 February 2014 at 12:18am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Everyone is different. I tend to hate unwritten rules, for example. Either make them official or make the peer pressure illegal.

That's quite interesting that you hate unwritten rules in life, because you prefer to study with unwritten rules (e.g. without grammar study) don't you? It's pretty cool how different people are, eh?

3 persons have voted this message useful

daegga
Tetraglot
Austria
lang-8.com/553301
Joined 4301 days ago

1076 posts - 1792 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Swedish, Norwegian
Studies: Danish, French, Finnish, Icelandic

Message 68 of 93
28 February 2014 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
daegga wrote:

3h daily average of tracked listening = 6h of real listening if you count only 50% (as
she claimed)
sorry if the wording was confusing

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4689 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 

Message 69 of 93
28 February 2014 at 12:48am | IP Logged 
daegga wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
daegga wrote:

3h daily average of tracked listening = 6h of real listening if you count only 50% (as
she claimed)
sorry if the wording was confusing

Ah, ok. But she's been tracking 6 hours a day (at least recently). So she has been listening for 12 hours a day. That's what makes me wonder how carefully she's listening. I am a firm believer that passive music is a great language tool (I've listened to about 4 hours of French music this evening while doing other things). But in a contest such as this, it's not really fair to count passive listening, is it?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 70 of 93
28 February 2014 at 1:33am | IP Logged 
I think we just have different definitions of passive listening. Also, not to reinforce the sexist stereotypes but many women spend a lot of time doing things that are very compatible with focused listening.

Also:

Quote:
I can almost sing all the song from Aqua times by now, I also study the lyrics during part of the music listening.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 71 of 93
01 March 2014 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Everyone is different. I tend to hate unwritten rules, for example. Either make them official or make the peer pressure illegal.

That's quite interesting that you hate unwritten rules in life, because you prefer to study with unwritten rules (e.g. without grammar study) don't you? It's pretty cool how different people are, eh?

Hm that's not the same thing. I do as little grammar study as I can exactly because I know that the rules actually exist. It's like a sensible adult doesn't need to ask about the rules in every public place - they know what to expect, and they can adjust well.

The equivalent of unwritten rules would be usage (mostly vocabulary), especially when your textbook gives you 3-4 shabby examples and then forces you to use what you've "learned". Nah thanks, I'll observe as long as I need to, and if I have to, I'll wait for an opportunity to observe (wait for it to show up in my input).

Edited by Serpent on 01 March 2014 at 3:01am

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4648 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 72 of 93
01 March 2014 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
csidler wrote:
Just take the top scores as inspiration to push yourself harder!! That's what I do.

That's exactly the part I don't like about overstatements in logging. I've read about quite a few 6wc burnouts and have had one myself a couple of years ago when I did 4-5 hours of very focused studying per day. After a month I had made a lot of progress, but couldn't bear to continue studying, so I forgot most of what I gained during the challenge. If some people log 6 hours per day doing passive listening (and it's not like you gain that much from listening to music when you don't do anything else with it, like studying the lyrics) then others might push themselves to do more intensive study than is humanly sustainable during 1 1/2 months. Also, I think the motivational factor of the challenge is diminished if more people adopt such a logging attitude and everyone knows that you can only get to the upper ranks by 'cheating'.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 93 messages over 12 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810 11 12  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version