432 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 16 ... 53 54 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 121 of 432
12 February 2014 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Yeeees so much this about setting up for failure by forcing everyone to sign up for the official goal. And it did seem like there were few objections for stating the number of stars you're aiming for.
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5646 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 122 of 432
12 February 2014 at 9:59am | IP Logged 
I'm just curious what books people read that have 50 pages in them? I think the average book is at least 200 pages. I think it would make more sense to lower it from 100 to 25 books rather than count a book as 50 pages. Also, the same book often has different formats with different page amounts, but i guess it doesn't really matter to me. Whatever the "rules" end up being, the idea is just to read more and get more exposure to the language and that's what i plan on doing, whether i'm reading 50-page books, 100-page books, or 400-page books. I only care if i think i'm successful in the end, i could care less what a bot tells me :P

The counting hours read idea is nice, but much harder to keep track of, i think, and probably more complicated in the end. The stars idea i think is kinda neat and a nice way to avoid "failing". I think it's also a nice compromise for people studying multiple languages.

Anyway, i'll just go with the flow, sorry for cluttering the thread up even more. Time to go read ;)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 123 of 432
12 February 2014 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
I got the impression that the discussion phase had ended, except for questions of
clarification. I think Solfrid has done very well, considering the number of opinions
and the strength of feeling which has been expressed over the rules of this challenge. I
don't agree with every decision, but I will be happy to work on the challenge as she has
laid it out.

Bring on May!

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 124 of 432
12 February 2014 at 2:32pm | IP Logged 
Yes, it's Solfrid's challenge, so she gets to make the rules. :-)

This time she's deciding to go with a simpler, less customizable challenge. But she also wants to make it more accessible by cutting the reading in half. And then she needs to coordinate with Surrealix to make sure he can get a progress tracker running. And as she said, rather than making the Super Challenge everything for everybody, she'd prefer to see a few more challenges, each focused on doing one thing well.

Anyway, when I hear back from Solfrid, I'll start a new thread with instructions on how to get a Blue Ribbon under your name for the 2012/2013 challenge (like the TAC winners get). Solfrid and I have already talked about that quite a bit, and I'm just waiting on a few final details from her.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 125 of 432
12 February 2014 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Yay! I just heard back from Solfrid, and we're ready to do ribbons. Here's how it will work. First, we need to deal with a couple of twists:

1. I only have limited space under people's names, and that space is already used for things like TAC Winner 2012. So I can't give people multiple ribbons for, say, two separate Half Super Mega Challenges.

2. Adding ribbons is a really annoying process; much harder than it should be. And so you're going to have to help me out by organizing all the information. Yes, I'm lazy. Such is the price of cool Blue Text, I'm afraid.

3. The 2012/2013 challenge was 10,000 pages/150 hours, but the 2014/2015 challenge is 5,000 pages/150 hours. Plus we had the 2012/2013 Advanced Super Challenge with 20,000 pages/300 hours, and the old Half Challenge, and people who do multiple challenges, and, and, and… Well, basically I want to put things on roughly equal footing.

Super Challenge 2012/2013

You will receive credit for each 5,000 pages and 75 hours you completed in a given language. Here's how it works:

A 2012/2013 Half Challenge gives: Super Challenge ✧
A 2012/2013 Super Challenge gives: Super Challenge 2✧
An 2012/2013 Advanced Super Challenge gives: Super Challenge 4✧ (or 3✧ if you only finished 75%)

That is a pointy diamond, not a star. Stars are for 2014/2015, and they're between you and surrealix and Solfrid. But as I understand it, 2☆ for reading plus 2☆ for listening (all in the same language) adds up to one .

Writing and conversations do not affect things one way or another, except that the you get a warm glow of personal pride for being generally awesome. :-)

Super Challenge 2014/2015

You will receive credit for each 5,000 pages and 150 hours you completed in a given language. Yes, this means you will need twice as many listening hours as the 2012/2013 people, but the the 2012/2013 people mostly stopped counting listening once they hit the limit, and I don't want to penalize them for it. This means:

A 2014/2015 Super Challenge gives: Super Challenge ✧
A double 2014/2015 Super Challenge gives: Super Challenge 2✧

Or you can do two challenges in two languages and get one from each, or if you're an advanced student, you can try for more than two s.

Claiming your ribbons

Keep your eyes on this room. I'll post shortly.

EDIT: Claim your ribbons!

EDIT: Updated various details and rationales, but the numbers all still the same.

Edited by emk on 12 February 2014 at 8:04pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 126 of 432
12 February 2014 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
Thank you emk :-)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 127 of 432
12 February 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
No ribbons for audio-only or books-only half challenges?.. Sounds like that, and kinda unfair if so, given that during the first challenge the Half Super Challenge options were considered equal, whether you do 50/50 instead of 100/100 or do just one kind of 100. I don't mind if it's changed for the next challenge but it was a legitimate option.

For the record, I have completed the full audio part in two languages (Portuguese and Romanian), and also 50 "films" in German. In addition to the two half challenges in Italian and Polish, that is.

Also Cristina, you asked about loose ends and I mentioned a few on pages 13-14 :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 128 of 432
12 February 2014 at 6:37pm | IP Logged 
Tsopivo wrote:
I guess, for me, it boils down to this: by preventing people from registering to the half-challenge, you are taking something from them. You are forcing them to register for the full one and fail, which some people mention they mind doing. On the contrary, if you allow the half-challenge, what are you taking away from people who want to do the full one? You are not forcing them to do the half one, they can still do a full one. How is it detrimental to them?

I think the challenge is being too connected with the bot in our minds at times. YOu cannot sign up for half challenge in the bot but you can publicly announce anything and hold on to it, doing the challenge is not dependent on the bot. And you can sign up for more or less stars than there are. I will be aiming for twice the number of reading stars because I need the challenge no matter what will be the bot options, many people are likely to take on one or two stars per language etc..

The half challenges weren't taken from people, they were just simplified into "2 stars" or whatever instead of lenghthy "half challenge", "movies only challenge", "half challenge books only" etc.

Crush, it is not about how many pages does a book have. The discussion always boiled down that "book" is just a codeword for a unit of reading, it could be represented by any other word. The original rules stated 1 book = 250 pages. If we took 10000 pages as the goal (as it originally was), it would have been 40 books and now only 20. That doesn't sound too epic. That's why we have "books" :-)

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version