Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 185 of 432
16 February 2014 at 11:38pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for your observation, Kanewai. I'll try the 10 000 pages again.

How about having the bot as simple as possible? Perhaps it should show just the amount of book units/movies done and the % of the challenge completed (always 100%=the amount each person signed up for).

I'm sure there is a lot of good material for Italian. I found accidentally a lot of nice music in Italian so there must be movies as well. And there is quite a lot of Italian writers, even though some genres may be less represented. Garyb has a lot of ideas in his log.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 186 of 432
17 February 2014 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
With that, what were the experiences of people who tried Italian? I looked through the results, but it seemed that most people read works in translation. Is there enough good native material out there for this to be a good language for the challenge?
Well, here are some of the books I purchased for the challenge but haven't read yet. I especially recommend the books by Beppe Severgnini - about the Italian language, about Italy and Italians, about travelling, about the British and the Americans. It's a very easy read (at least everything I've read so far), with a lot of humour and even charisma, as much as you can have it in writing.

As I said, I definitely kinda regret reading HP and LOTR in Italian when there are other Italian materials and when there are languages in which there's no such luxury. Some reasons for this are that HP is easy, that I did a lot of LR for the challenge, and that I didn't know about bookdepository until summer 2013. (and some things that I ordered for my birthday on June 19, I got only in autumn. the Russian post is embarrassing)
Apart from the things I could get in Russia, I got my Italian stuff from ibs.it.

Edited by Serpent on 17 February 2014 at 3:51am

2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4676 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 187 of 432
18 February 2014 at 6:09am | IP Logged 
I've been parceling out my Harry Potter! Four in French, and half of the fifth in
Spanish. I'll finish the series in Spanish or Italian, but it gets harder the longer the
books get! It's never hard, per se, but 1000 pages of a foreign language takes a long
time to get through, and I get restless to move on to other things.

I like the idea of using Percy Jackson too (Percy Jackson e gli dei dell'Olimpo. 1.Il
ladro di fulmini), though it's only available in hardcover in the US as far as I can
tell.

1 person has voted this message useful

Magdalene
Diglot
United States
Joined 4823 days ago

119 posts - 220 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Mandarin, German, Modern Hebrew, French

Message 188 of 432
21 February 2014 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
I'm looking forward to this challenge as I have a lot of intermediate languages right
now and participating seems the best way to give a couple of them the boost to
advanced.

I got a little lost in this thread and the linked discussions about the previous Super
Challenge, but most of my questions will probably get cleared up when registration
starts. I just want to clarify a couple of things.
1) Is the challenge now 100 "books" (one book being 50 pages) and 100 "films" (one film
being 90 minutes)?
2) Can you add another language, or delete one, after you've registered and the
challenge has started?

kanewai wrote:
With that, what were the experiences of people who tried Italian? I
looked through the results, but it seemed that most people read works in translation.
Is there enough good native material out there for this to be a good language for the
challenge?

I check out the OF Blog when I need book recommendations in European languages. The guy
who runs it reads Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, French, German, Latin, Serbian,
Romanian, and others I'm forgetting, and he posts frequent reviews. Searching his site
for "Italian" or "Premio Strega" is a good starting point, though whether you can find
the books easily and cheaply in the U.S. is another matter...
http://ofblog.blogspot.com/
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 189 of 432
21 February 2014 at 5:10pm | IP Logged 
Yes, you got it right with both parts. Cristina says "you can always add one more language" but I disagree. First of all, if you add a language late, collecting the stats postfactum is harder. I wrote more about this a few pages ago, but basically being realistic should also include knowing from the beginning that you won't resist adding one more language anyway. And note how out of those who completed half-challenges*, many (most?) were learning several languages. I'd say that anyone adding a language after the spring and summer 6WC's can only complete it at the expense of the language they originally signed up with.

*the reading now equals the full reading part

Edited by Serpent on 21 February 2014 at 5:12pm

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 190 of 432
03 March 2014 at 2:27pm | IP Logged 
I have a proposal for what people can do in preparation for the Super Challenge.

In A learning based challenge?,
DaraghM proposed the idea of a challenge based on learning something concrete, like 200 words, 100 kanji, 150 sentences, 20
conjugations, etc. DaraghM won't have time to run the challenge, so I offered to administer it, and he said he was fine
with that. I have made some proposals (post 11) for how it could run. In a nutshell, it would be a one month challenge
(April), with no winners. People would register on a thread and set their own challenge. At the end of the month they
state what they achieved. It should be simplicity itself (fingers crossed, LOL). For those of us doing the Super
Challenge, this would be a month to "skill up" in preparation for reading and watching.

Please have a look and leave your comments on that thread. If there is enough interest, I'll start a signup thread in a
week or so. Thanks!
2 persons have voted this message useful

hjordis
United States
snapshotsoftheworld.
Joined 4973 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 191 of 432
15 March 2014 at 4:29am | IP Logged 
While I didn't finish the last challenge, I did become much more comfortable reading
French before I dropped off the face of the Earth, and I watched lots of wonderful
movies I wouldn't have otherwise.

So this time around, I'm going to do just as I did last time and use the challenge to
motivate myself to do more than I otherwise would, without worrying about what other
people are accomplishing except to encourage each other and maybe get recommendations
for material.

I'll be doing a French challenge again, as French is currently a priority of mine. I'll
probably also add a Japanese challenge later when I'm ready to pick up Japanese again,
as I have far too many unread books in Japanese and I only have 3 years to read all of
my unread books.

Beyond that I might shoot for a star in movies in Italian later this year, since I'm
planning on going to Italy next April.

Finally, I just want to thank Cristin for organizing everything once again, and putting
up with everyone's (somewhat understandable) bickering. I think you did a good job
pleasing the most people possible under the circumstances, and I'm looking forward to
it!

Edited by hjordis on 15 March 2014 at 4:30am

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5182 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 192 of 432
09 April 2014 at 1:17am | IP Logged 
Any news on when the bot will re-open for the next round?

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version