432 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 49 ... 53 54 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 385 of 432
26 April 2014 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
The remaining links have some generic discussion, like the best or even most common first book to read in a language, and so on.
Thanks for starting the page! I'll see what I can come up with.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 386 of 432
27 April 2014 at 2:36am | IP Logged 
As for video, TED talks are a fantastic resource.

sfuqua
Triglot
United States
Joined 4525 days ago

581 posts - 977 votes 
Speaks: English*, Hawaiian, Tagalog
Studies: Spanish

Message 387 of 432
27 April 2014 at 4:08am | IP Logged 
I'm sorry, but I can't seem to come up with the right query for the google search to answer this, but where does L-R fit into this year's Super Challenge? In the last challenge it looks like it would likely be treated as watching a (subtitled) movie or something. I quite enjoy L-R and would love to have an excuse to do a bunch of it.

"Honey, I can't take out the trash now. I'm not listening to music; I've got to do Listening Reading for the Super Challenge."

Edited by sfuqua on 27 April 2014 at 4:09am

3 persons have voted this message useful

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4996 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 388 of 432
27 April 2014 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
sfuqua wrote:
I'm sorry, but I can't seem to come up with the right query for the google search to answer this, but where does L-R fit into this year's Super Challenge? In the last challenge it looks like it would likely be treated as watching a (subtitled) movie or something. I quite enjoy L-R and would love to have an excuse to do a bunch of it.

Here is the relevant section:
Quote:

- If you do L-R it is up to you whether you want to count it as reading (in which case 100-499 pages would count as one book) or if you want to count it as film, in which case 1 hour and a half would count as one film.

The search you want in google is: site:how-to-learn-any-language.com super challenge L-R rules

Quote:

"Honey, I can't take out the trash now. I'm not listening to music; I've got to do Listening Reading for the Super Challenge."

I would advise you to just take out the trash... It will make your life easier in the long run. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 389 of 432
27 April 2014 at 1:13pm | IP Logged 
And of course the 100-499 pages rule is now obsolete. One book is 50 pages.

Also, this only applies to doing LR without involving L1. Obviously if you are reading L1, you can't count that for the reading part.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 390 of 432
27 April 2014 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
BAnna wrote:
Ok, well, putting my money where my mouth is, I just pulled recommendations off the recommendation thread from Jeffers. The hardest part was actually waiting for the thread pages to load and getting an error, but it was pretty easy to build some simple tables in the wikia itself.
And made a generic "these are good in any language" one for things like Harry Potter, Agatha Christie, etc. (but maybe these don't need mention). I did find on the wikia a lists of TV series and a list of books with unabridged audiobooks.

Let me know what you think... I am willing to take on building a page for the various languages (once they are all listed), but the content would have to come from all of you, so it needs to be super easy to use. It's all here somewhere on the forum, but digging for it can be difficult.

Multilanguage

Wikia: SC recommendations in Spanish
French
Polish
German
Dutch
Chinese
Latin
Japanese
English
Russian
Norwegian
Korean
Esperanto
Romanian
Italian

I had a quick look, BAnna, and they are great! Would you like to start a new Super Challenge Resources discussion thread, and put your links at the top? It would make more sense discuss our planned items for the upcoming challenge on a new thread rather than on this thread or the old resources thread.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 391 of 432
27 April 2014 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
OMG, that's just amazing! When I saw the post there was only a link to Spanish. I will definitely contribute to these pages!

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4926 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 392 of 432
27 April 2014 at 3:40pm | IP Logged 
I need to do so too, for Norwegian, for instance.

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version