Joined 4972 days ago

209 posts - 264 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 409 of 432
29 April 2014 at 11:15pm | IP Logged 
YnEoS wrote:
Ahh sorry, I should've mentioned I don't really use twitter and I created
a separate account for the super challenge. So mostly asking about bothering all you
other super challenge participants.
Ah right, got it. Nobody will see unless they
follow you or go to your page or the bot's page. The bot replies to you with
@yourusername, and tweets that begin with an @yourusername are only seen by people who
follow both you and the tweeter, so nobody will see the bot's replies either unless they
follow you. So feel free to update as often as you like.

Actually you know what? I just realized this means people won't see my tweets (or yours!)
to the bot either unless they also follow the bot or specifically go to my page. I'll
probably still only update once a month. I've already decided to do my main updating in a
log.
1 person has voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4040 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 410 of 432
29 April 2014 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
YnEoS wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
I am wondering what's the best practice when it comes to counting
"watching" with anki. When you mentioned it before, I was under the impression that when you finished
studying a film you would count that film (I didn't read it very carefully).

When I brought it up before, I asked if I could count minutes spent studying in Anki rather than minutes of the
actual film. And on Anki's stats page it conveniently lists how many minutes I spent studying a certain deck
for the day.

My reasoning basically is that people are allowed to count books that they re-read each time they read them,
and with Anki I'm essentially re-listening to a movie over and over again until I understand everything. I don't
have any "production" cards so everything is listening comprehension, I just listen to the line several times as
just audio and contextualizing image, then reveal the target language subtitle and English translation and
listen to it a few more times. If I understand a line just from hearing it I mark it as pass and move right along.

If there are any pauses where I'm not listening to audio in my studying, they're much shorter than dialog-less
portions of films I would sit through watching them normally.

I am afraid this is a little too far out compared to the intention of this particular challenge. You can count it for
the 6wc, but Anki studying instead of watching films for the Super Challenge? Nope.

I thought any amount of minutes of active listening to audio was countable? The content is still exactly the same, I'm still listening to movie Audio, all Anki does is organize that content for me in a different way.

If someone could theoretically repeatedly watch a movie with English subtitles, then target language subtitles, then no subtitles at all, and count each time as another viewing. What's the difference between me using Anki to cut out the gaps of silence and focus more time on the difficult lines and new vocabulary?

If it's still X minutes listening to audio regardless, why does it matter how I pick the audio I listen to?

Edited by YnEoS on 29 April 2014 at 11:46pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4451 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 411 of 432
30 April 2014 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
YnEoS wrote:
If it's still X minutes listening to audio regardless, why does it matter
how I pick the audio I listen to?

The thing is that with Anki you can hear 3s of audio and then think about it for 57s and
Anki will count it as 1m of work rather than the 3s of audio you have really done.

Obviously there are gaps too when you watch a film or a drama, but those are a natural
part of the experience.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 412 of 432
30 April 2014 at 1:05pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
   You can count it for the 6wc, but Anki studying instead of watching films for the Super Challenge? Nope.

You understand that these are basically cards made of films, right?

As for tweeting, unless you deliberately make it visible to everyone, only those who follow you AND the bot will see your tweets.

Also pro-tip, well not really haha. If your app allows, you can follow @langchallenge and mute it, so that you didn't see EVERYONE's updates. You'll still see tweets directed at the bot by people you follow, and you'll still see your own updates in the mentions/replies.

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4040 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 413 of 432
30 April 2014 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
YnEoS wrote:
If it's still X minutes listening to audio regardless, why does it matter
how I pick the audio I listen to?

The thing is that with Anki you can hear 3s of audio and then think about it for 57s and
Anki will count it as 1m of work rather than the 3s of audio you have really done.

Obviously there are gaps too when you watch a film or a drama, but those are a natural
part of the experience.

I could yes, but that's just a matter of reporting properly, and this challenge only works because we're assuming everyone is actually doing what they're reporting, no?

I use Subs2SRS Anki decks specifically for listening, if I'm not pressing the repeat button on the audio to try to understand the sentence better, I'm moving onto the next card. My anki stats say I spend an average of 10.8 seconds on a card, and since I typically will play an audio file upwards of 5 times before moving on, that doesn't really leave a lot of time for pausing and thinking.

Of course I'm not a machine, so I can't claim that I always hit the replay button precisely when the dialog finishes. But I can state pretty confidently that any gaps end up being much shorter than natural movie gaps. If they took up any significant amount of time I would change how I report my minutes.

If I report I listened to a certain number of minutes of audio, it's because I honestly think that's a good measure of the amount of time I spend actively listening to movie audio.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4695 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 414 of 432
30 April 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Using Anki is specifically not allowed on the rules for Tadoku.

I guess the problem is that it stretches the boundary of what the challenge is about.
The Super Challenge started as: watch 100 films, read 100 books. Nice and simple.
People asked, and Solfrid stretched the meaning of "film" to include listening to
audiobooks, podcasts and the like. No matter how much you stretch the boundaries of a
challenge, someone will want it stretched further. So if someone else has sentence
cards on Anki, they will no doubt want to count this as reading.

I agree with you completely that going through a film on SRS is more intensive than
watching a film. But the challenge isn't about finding the most intensive or best way
to learn. The challenge is to watch 100 films (as defined by the challenge rules) and
read 100 books (as defined by the challenge rules).

If it was my challenge, I personally would be happy to allow going through a whole film
on SRS to count as a film lasting the duration of the film. When I listen to
Harry Potter, I will no doubt be rewinding to re-listen to sections. Nevertheless,
when I finish the audiobook I will count the time of the audiobook, not the time it
took me to get through it. I may listen to it twice, but that seems to me to be
different to the piece by piece method of going through a film on SRS.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5120 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 415 of 432
30 April 2014 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
By the way, have you all remembered to register for the 6WC? You can register everything you do for the Super Challenge for the 6WC as well, and is if there is anything you would have liked to register for the Super Challenge, that you cannot, well then you can cover it all in the 6WC, which is the mother of the Super Challenge :-)
4 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4040 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 

Message 416 of 432
30 April 2014 at 3:20pm | IP Logged 
Apologies if it sounds like I'm trying to stretch the definition of the challenge, that was not my intention. I just am trying to clarify my method of study, since my impression is that Subs2SRS decks aren't very widely used on this forum.

I know the Super Challenge was originally conceived as 100 films and 100 books, but I had thought that it was mainly about doing a massive amount of reading and listening of native materials to see progress into and through the intermediate stage, and that's why it was more or less re-clarified to 9000 minutes of audio (90 min = 1 film) and 5000 pages (50 pages = 1 book). That way anyone could choose content suitable to their level and interest so long as they're basically doing massive listening and massive reading.

I like using Subs2SRS for listening because it allows me to use materials I'm interested in and still see progress at a lower level (If I watched them normally most of the words would go right over my head).

If that's too much of a stretch beyond the original intention of the Super Challenge I'm happy to just keep studying in my own way on my own.

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version