Diglot
Canada
Joined 4187 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 81 of 432
10 February 2014 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
I vote we leave it the same (100/100) but that people have the option of aiming for more or less stars spread out in
whatever languages they want. Its simple and easy to explain. Plus I think that more people will complete it this time
because now they (sort of) know what they're doing and what it will take to complete it. I know i'll be more
motivated to get stuff done instead of putting it off! And like Jeffers said, not everyone has to win, it's just taking
part that counts.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 82 of 432
10 February 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
Do you basically mean earning 4 stars per "area", and it's up to you how you distribute them per language? Sounds great.

It's funny how those saying "you don't have to win!" are mostly the ones who want to be considered winners if they meet their goals.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 83 of 432
10 February 2014 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Do you basically mean earning 4 stars per "area", and it's up to you how you distribute them per language? Sounds great.

This idea has been suggested, and a few of us have supported it. However, it's not my challenge, and I'm not going to be the one doing the work of administering it.

Serpent wrote:

It's funny how those saying "you don't have to win!" are mostly the ones who want to be considered winners if they meet their goals.

I'm really not quite sure what you are trying to say here. The reason I suggested the star for completing a part of the challenge idea was precisely because I thought it would be nice for people to gain some recognition for their work, even if they didn't meet their challenge. "Some recognition" isn't the same as winning, but it still feels nice.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 84 of 432
10 February 2014 at 11:24pm | IP Logged 
But "some recognition" isn't enough for me. I don't want my goals to be considered less honourable than the default ones. The previous challenge owned my life, and while I loved it, I don't want to be encouraged to do that again. It's like all challenges go from midnight day 1 to midnight day X, to keep it simple but also to avoid making people stay up late in order to improve their scores. (at least on the last day of the challenge, heh)

Right now it's as if I need the approval of Cavesa and Kerrie for my goals to be considered challenging enough...

Edited by Serpent on 10 February 2014 at 11:27pm

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4292 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 85 of 432
10 February 2014 at 11:51pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

Right now it's as if I need the approval of Cavesa and Kerrie for my goals to be considered challenging enough...

I think these comments are getting a bit personal and off-topic.

Just because some people have different desires/opinions about how THEY would like the SC to proceed doesn't mean they are directed at you.

Emily96
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4187 days ago

270 posts - 342 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Spanish, Finnish, Latin

Message 86 of 432
11 February 2014 at 12:11am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
I don't want my goals to be considered less honourable than the default ones.

Serpent, I don't think anyone considers your goals less honourable.

Edit: i'm not actually sure what we're disagreeing on here. What do you want the challenge to look like?

Edited by Emily96 on 11 February 2014 at 12:13am

meramarina
Diglot
United States
Joined 5726 days ago

1341 posts - 2303 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: German, Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 87 of 432
11 February 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
Let's keep the discussion focused on planning the Super Challenge for everyone participating and not on any individual forum members. It's much more productive for everyone that way.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 88 of 432
11 February 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Don't get me wrong, I have a huge respect for them both... but in the context of this challenge, no, it's not just about random people in vacuum, or at least it shouldn't be. Where do you see a bunch of members reading 500 pages of easy text and calling that an achievement? We're speaking of thousands of pages here. That's not a light commitment and it shouldn't be treated as such.

I just think we should learn from the previous challenge. Their lesson was that they should focus on fewer languages, my lesson was that I should allow myself to focus on "real life" sometimes. The overall lesson is that it's doable only in one big language, but many people will want to sign up with more than one. It's also doable only for those not starting from scratch and having some overall experience. This all just can't be counteracted with "but it's a challenge!" and "it's not challenging enough for me". If it's not enough of a challenge, you can always aim for more stars despite claiming an early win.

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version