Super Challenge discussion thread 2014

Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
432 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 14 ... 53 54 Next >>
YnEoS
United States
Joined 4035 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 105 of 432
11 February 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
I'm planning on doing some of my movie watching with Subs2SRS anki decks, which is more intensive and takes more time to get through a film than just playing it casually. Since anki also records how many minutes you spent studying every day, does anyone see any issues with me counting my minutes studying a film in anki rather than 1ankiSubs2SRS deck = 1 movie?

Edited by YnEoS on 11 February 2014 at 4:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 106 of 432
11 February 2014 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
Do your cards contain small bits of audio/video? If they're text-only I think it's best to count them for reading.
if you want a more sensible answer, tell us more about your watching process :-)

Cristina, I thought of one more loose end: what about the recommended pace? ie in the 12/13 challenge, you'd be shown stats like "2 books per month" [to complete the challenge]. I'd really rather not see that calculated based on the official goal - how about showing the recommended pace for reaching the next star within 6 months? (obviously when there's less than 6 months left until the end of the challenge, display it for the remaining time)

Edited by Serpent on 11 February 2014 at 4:17pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 107 of 432
11 February 2014 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
YnEoS wrote:
I'm planning on doing some of my movie watching with Subs2SRS anki decks, which is more intensive and takes more time to get through a film than just playing it casually. Since anki also records how many minutes you spent studying every day, does anyone see any issues with me counting my minutes studying a film in anki rather than 1ankiSubs2SRS deck = 1 movie?

For whatever it might be worth, this is just like watching a film normally, except you cut out everything but the dialog. Then you throw out the boring bits and watch the good parts again, but out of order. It's a terrific listening exercise, and you can actually "watch" a movie fairly enjoyably this way. And Anki will say exactly how much time you spent on it in a given week.

There's actually less dead time doing cards like this than there is in an actual movie. These reviews go very fast.

EDIT:

Serpent wrote:
Do your cards contain small bits of audio/video? If they're text-only I think it's best to count them for reading.
if you want a more sensible answer, tell us more about your watching process :-)

Typically, you have all the movie dialog as short audio clips on the front of the card, along with small pictures, and you have L2/L1 subs on the back. In my experience, virtually all the time is spent on the audio, although you often read along as well if you've just failed a card.

Edited by emk on 11 February 2014 at 4:12pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 108 of 432
11 February 2014 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

OK, let me summarize, to make sure I'm up to speed for the ribbons. :-)

2012/2013 Challenge: 10,000 pages, 150 hours of films.
2014/2015 Challenge: 5,000 pages, 150 hours of films.

Do I have that right?

Quote:
2. It seems that the one thing everyone agrees on is the star system. So let's
do that. This would mean that we get one star for every 50 films we watch, and for
every 50 books (of 50 pages) that we read.

Another question. Do you mean:

1. "One star for every 2,500 pages and 75 hours, combined" or
2. "One star for every 2,500 pages another one star for every 75 hours"?

As the person who does ribbons, I actually kinda prefer choice (1), because it will
mean less work for me. But I'm not sure which choice you meant.

Once you answer these questions, I'll explain how we're going to handle ribbons for
2012/2013.

I don't think every star will equal a ribbon, emk. The stars are what show up on
Surrealix's bot program. I think this part of the post answers your question:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
You can assemble as many stars as you want or can, but in order
to get on the list of winners of the Super Challenge you must have both a reading and a
movie part in the same language. I will however also have a special list for those who
finished for only the movie part, and a special mentioning of the person who assembled
most stars regardless of combination.

In other words, your option (2). But the "winners" are those who complete both movie
and reading for the same language. So you don't need to give out a ribbon for every
star. Unless you really want to. :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 109 of 432
11 February 2014 at 4:27pm | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Well it's not downright impossible but it puts the learners of these languages at a huge disadvantage compared to French, Spanish etc. And I'm speaking about the reading part here.
When the only person who's completed a challenge in a Slavic language is Russian, you know there's a problem.

I'm afraid I disagree with you on this, not completely, but still ... because looking at the data of the participants ranking 1-30 I simply think it's a matter of language choice and focusing on a "main language" in this challenge.

Looking at the achievements of the participants most of them did focus on either a Romance or a Germanic language as "main language" and let the other languages run along (though some read a lot in several of their languages). This certainly did manipulate the "success" of the Romance/Germanic languages over the other ones.

Here's why I don't completely disagree with you: I think you're right on the fact that the accessibility of material in one of the major Romance/Germanic languages is certainly much higher than for other languages (unless you live in an area where your TL is spoken) and when you start out as a native speaker of a Romance/Germanic language the vocabulary of another Romance/Germanic language is certainly less opaque than the vocabulary of another language from the Indo-European family not to speak of a language outside the IE family.
There's also the fact that afaiu everyone who completed the 100 books challenge in French/German/Spanish and of course English was starting around B1 (and higher for English).

Edited by Serpent on 11 February 2014 at 4:28pm

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4035 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 110 of 432
11 February 2014 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Do your cards contain small bits of audio/video? If they're text-only I think it's best to
count them for reading.

My personal routine, is I have audio and a screenshot on the front, I play the sound a few times to see if I can understand it on its own, then I reveal the back which has the target language subtitle and an English translation. Then I'll spend time alternating between listening and shadowing the line analyzing the text with the audio to see what sounds are written but barely touched in rapid speech, and if there's new vocabulary trying to understand how it functions in the sentence, then when I feel comfortable enough with it I mark it as completed and instead of marking how 'right or wrong' I got it I just select whichever time interval I like based on how soon I would want to review the line.

If it's a very easy line I will usually listen once, shadow once and move on.

Edited by YnEoS on 11 February 2014 at 5:14pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 111 of 432
11 February 2014 at 5:04pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
I don't think every star will equal a ribbon, emk. The stars are what show up on Surrealix's bot program.

The problem is that we don't have enough space to give people multiple ribbons. So that plan was that I was going to do something like Super Challenge 4☆ for somebody who had completed four stars worth of challenges.

If there are separate stars for reading and watching, then I'll have to switch to another system: Probably Super Challenge ×2, for somebody who has completed two challenges. But that's not as pretty and self-explanatory as the star. :-)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 112 of 432
11 February 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
I don't think every star will equal a ribbon, emk. The stars are what show up on Surrealix's bot program.

The problem is that we don't have enough space to give people multiple ribbons. So that plan was that I was going to do something like Super Challenge 4☆ for somebody who had completed four stars worth of challenges.

If there are separate stars for reading and watching, then I'll have to switch to another system: Probably Super Challenge ×2, for somebody who has completed two challenges. But that's not as pretty and self-explanatory as the star. :-)

I guess what I was suggesting was ignoring the stars altogether for the forums. There will be a specific set of winners separate from the stars:
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
You can assemble as many stars as you want or can, but in order
to get on the list of winners of the Super Challenge you must have both a reading and a movie part in the same language.

But I actually like your idea of doing:
emk wrote:
Super Challenge 4☆ for somebody who had completed four stars worth of challenges.

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version