432 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 15 ... 53 54 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 113 of 432
11 February 2014 at 6:30pm | IP Logged 
What exactly is 4 stars worth of challenges though? 4 x 4 stars ie 16?
1 person has voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4648 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 114 of 432
11 February 2014 at 7:08pm | IP Logged 
I thought the stars would have been really good if for a 100-book 100-page challenge, as
it would give people boosts along the way.

Now that the reading part is cut in half, I'm not sure if it's as important to have them.
It might be simpler to keep the current system!

Or, since this year the stars were silver and gold, maybe just have silver be for the
50% or 75% mark? It would be less clutter that way.

Edited by kanewai on 11 February 2014 at 9:06pm

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4925 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 115 of 432
11 February 2014 at 8:30pm | IP Logged 
When will subscriptions start? I need advice on how to decide my subscription languages.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4668 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 116 of 432
11 February 2014 at 9:17pm | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

Or, since this year the stars were silver and gold, maybe just have silver be for the
50% or 75% mark? It would be less clutter that way.

The reason this would be complicated is that a person might get a single star in 4 different languages.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4768 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 117 of 432
11 February 2014 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
I leave for a day or two and hell breaks out... I'll try not to make a wall of text:

1. Thanks, Cristina, I think you formulated the best result that could come out of the discussion.

2. Serpent, you know I respect you and I admire your results and path. Really, there is no way how I could find your goals not worthy of recognition. I am sorry if I could have been understood that way, it wasn't my intention at any point.

3. There are two sides of the coin with every challenge we have invented and participated in on the htlal. The most awesome thing is the support and motivation. The second is that it can resonate badly with some of our more competitive natures (such as my own. If we ever meet in person, and with a beer, I might tell a few funny stories of how this fault of mine made me suffer :-D ). Really, we need to keep on mind that the challenge is just a tool and a way to have fun and push ourselves, not to beat our own feelings and life.

4. I think the participation and partial results are something to be even proud of when a challenge is hard. I've read a lot of logs where people aimed high and were totally happy even for landing in the middle, considering what it had taken and how it had made them progress. But even though I see easy challenges as things making even full success less valuable (even though the "recognition" always flatters my broken ego, true :-D), I understand we have various views on what is realistic and people need to aim high but still to the top of the hill and not on the moon.

5. One size never fits all. I think may have been more of us too pushing for our prefered variant, hopefully the "compromise" will be as close to satisfying our variable needs as possible.

6. Sure, some languages are tougher than others. And it is harder to dive into reading and listening when you are still a beginner. But we are all grown ups and we are capable of judging our own goals. Especially now that we have got the experience from the first round. I am glad there is no level barrier, no matter whether from up or down.

7. I still think the stars should rather be for 25 items (so either 25 films or 25 x 50 pages) but that comes only from a different purpose they could have. I thought they would be more like "miniprizes" for "manageable" chunks of the challenge. But now they are rather a much simpler version of all the half challenges, movies only challenges and so on.

Edited by Cavesa on 11 February 2014 at 10:03pm

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4978 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 118 of 432
11 February 2014 at 10:30pm | IP Logged 
for me the negotiations have dragged on a bit too long now. I go for Solfrid Christina's interpretation of the rules/laws/by-laws and other such whims.
Her challenge, her rules.

After all we mere Celts did learn a lot from t'Vikings ;-P joke before anyone get upset!

Whatever you say/or do it is all progress if you are working at it. We didn't get me to C1 Spanish but hey ho. Progress is progress.

However, I don't want to be told that I have to limit the languages I register but after my last multi-fail I know my bandwidth changes with mood and workload in the day jobs and stuff: who knows where I'll be at the end of 2015?

If I get stars that's great; I have no idea what a ribbon is?

Edited by maydayayday on 11 February 2014 at 10:34pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 119 of 432
12 February 2014 at 3:33am | IP Logged 
The ribbon is the blue text below your username, like what Cristina and other TAC winners have.

Expugnator, the bot page currently says it should be up sometime in March, although with the changes that we're asking for, maybe April is more like it (at least I'm sure nobody will mind). We can totally advise you on picking the language(s)/materials. Maybe say a little about your experience with other challenges, especially Tadoku?

Edited by Serpent on 12 February 2014 at 3:39am

Tsopivo
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

258 posts - 411 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: Esperanto

Message 120 of 432
12 February 2014 at 6:13am | IP Logged 
I am a bit late to the party and I know Cristina has already given her decision, which I respect but I'll still give my opinion.

I am quite sad to see the half-challenges go away. To me, setting a goal to myself, striving to achieve it and then actually doing it is quite different from setting a goal that I don't actually intend to achieve, just do as much as I can and then get an award for whatever I've done. As for simplicity, honestly, I am not sure how "people can do a half-challenge" is so much more complicated than "everyone is competing for the same, except people can publicly announce that they are going for the half-challenge and then we will still give them a star and acknowledge they did what they set out to do". Especially when making changes mean more work on the bot.

I guess, for me, it boils down to this: by preventing people from registering to the half-challenge, you are taking something from them. You are forcing them to register for the full one and fail, which some people mention they mind doing. On the contrary, if you allow the half-challenge, what are you taking away from people who want to do the full one? You are not forcing them to do the half one, they can still do a full one. How is it detrimental to them?

As for the numbers, I agree that the 100 books / 100 movie was very unbalanced and I think reducing the book unit to 50 pages is a good way to solve the issue though it makes it a lot less challenging. Another possible solution would have been to count by hour (100 hours of reading / 100 hours of watching or 200/200 or 300/300 or whatever number would seem appropriate in 600 days). It would allow beginners to not be discouraged by the difficulty of reading (if they put one hour of hard work but only manage to read 20 pages, they would still be 1 hours in) while making it more challenging for more advanced learners who might have it a bit easy. It would also mean that the difficulty and achievements of the challenge would adapt as months pass and reading skills improve.

Edited by Tsopivo on 12 February 2014 at 6:14am

6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version