languagechallenge.su
Joined 4384 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 193 of 432
09 April 2014 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Kerrie wrote:
Any news on when the bot will re-open for the next round?

Sometime in the next 2 weeks!

I know I've been saying that for a while ;), but things have been very hectic for the
last few months. Luckily it's all starting to calm down, so I'll be able to find a day or
two to make the changes and get it all tested. It'll be ready before the challenge kicks
off in May, I promise :).
4 persons have voted this message useful

rlnv
United States
Joined 3731 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 194 of 432
09 April 2014 at 2:10am | IP Logged 
Forgive me for not having read this entire thread. Is there a list of finalized rules, start and end date, and how to sign up? Seeing as how I'm crazy enough to do a huge April Challenge, why not push hard for an entire year!
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6377 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 195 of 432
09 April 2014 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
Yay about the bot!
Have you been following the discussion? How are you going to handle the "3 books per week" thing?

csidler
Diglot
Pro Member
Australia
chadsidler.com
Joined 4603 days ago

51 posts - 59 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Italian, French
Personal Language Map

Message 196 of 432
09 April 2014 at 2:46am | IP Logged 
Where do we currently stand on the rules etc for the up-coming Super Challenge?

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4384 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish

Message 197 of 432
09 April 2014 at 2:48am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Yay about the bot!
Have you been following the discussion? How are you going to handle the "3 books per
week" thing?

I've been following the major points, but haven't really been taking notes. I'll do a
proper read-through soon and sort out exactly how the bot is going to work this time
around.

It took me a while to figure out what you meant by the "3 books per week thing"! But I
do like your suggestion - that the required rate is calculated based on the next star,
and not the total goal.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4669 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 198 of 432
09 April 2014 at 4:27am | IP Logged 
csidler - I think the final decision was a single challenge of 100 books & 100 movies
where:

90 minutes = 1 movie
50 pages = 1 book

(correct me if I'm wrong!)

Edited by kanewai on 09 April 2014 at 10:35am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5114 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 199 of 432
09 April 2014 at 6:44am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:
csidler - I think the final decision was a single challenge of 100 books & 100 movies
where:

90 minutes = 1 book
50 pages = 1 book

(correct me if I'm wrong!)

You are absolutely right :-) I am abroad right now, but when I come home I will write a revised version of the
Super Challenge rules, so that also the newbies are up to speed. The one you mentioned above is the main
change though.

I have however been thinking and rethinking about my recommendation to do only one language or two at the
most, and have decided to just let everyone see what is best for them. Given that the chances of success are
a lot greater if you focus, I would still recommend that you have one focus language, at least, because as
experience has shown, it is tough enough to complete just that, but since we all work in different ways,
everyone can register the amount of languages they want without any frowning from me :-) I was in any event
not going to refuse having several languages, as I know that this would make Serpent and Kerrie profoundly
unhappy :-). People could register all their reading and watching in all their languages if they like, and if they
manage to complete one challenge, they have the basis for finishing a second one in the reading they have
already done.

And I have decided that we can continue having half challenges. I wanted to make the challenge more in line
with the simplicity of my first idea, but since there appear to be people who will be genuinely unhappy if there
are no half challenges, and Surrealix is ok with it, let's go for that.

But please: Do pick one focus language. My biggest fear is that particularly the newbies will look at some of
the Super Learners :-) we have around, and think "Oh yeah, I can do five Super Challenges" and then 20
months later will think " Oh great, I have five Super Failures".

Focus. Please. But feel free to register with more than one if you are up for it, just remember that one Super
Challenge is already a huge achievement, so whatever you do, do not feel like a failure if you complete one
but not several.   And if you find that you are inspired to read and watch more than what is needed for a
Super Challenge you can always aim for a double Super Challenge - just wait to complete the normal one
before signing up for a double one :-)

Also do take advantage of the " Learning based challenge" now in April. I am working furiously on grammar,
and I am looking up words in one of the books I will read for the Super Challenge. Remember you can start
reading now if you like, to prepare, but you have to read it again in May in order to make it count. It is
however easier to read a book again, that you have already read and looked up some of the vocabulary.
Think of it as warming up before a marathon :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 09 April 2014 at 6:49am

3 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4034 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 200 of 432
09 April 2014 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Sorry to have a billion newbie questions about this challenge but...

Is Reading-Listening (reverse L-R) a valid method to use in this challenge, and would pages be counted the same as with regular reading?

And is there any sort of standard for how we should go about counting pages when reading off a kindle or from websites?

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version