432 messages over 54 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 29 ... 53 54 Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 225 of 432
10 April 2014 at 7:24am | IP Logged 
100% is possible with pausing the audio to catch up with the reading every now and then, and/or rewinding the audio. 90% is possible even without that. 10% is less than the difference between movies and audiobooks.

If it makes anyone feel better, let me say it again: I didn't complete my Danish challenge anyway. And I did more Polish listening than required anyway, closer to the standards of the new challenge.

And I'm still doing some self-censoring here. I'll be privately counting Swedish and Danish as parts of the same Scandinavian challenge. I have a feeling a couple of people might not like this :D

Joking aside, arghhhh so now I'll have to keep track of all my multilingual LR and what I chose, to be able to change it later. Epic.
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 226 of 432
10 April 2014 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
rlnv wrote:
I've skimmed this entire thread. My understanding is:

Start date: 5/1/2014
End date: 12/31/2015
Pages: 5,000
Movies: 150
Tracking will be by Twitter bot.

Do I have it summarized correctly? If so, awesome challenge, although the crazy in me would prefer 10,000
pages!

Edit: correct I wanted to say movies.

Almost :-)

100 books each of 50 pages equals 5000 pages.Correct.
100 movies each of approx. 90 minutes ( you can count two 40 minutes episodes as one movie, and if you
watch a movie that is an hour and 10-20 minutes you can still count it as a film)

And once you have completed a full Super Challenge, feel free to let your crazy side loose and go for a
double Super Challenge :-)
5 persons have voted this message useful

YnEoS
United States
Joined 4035 days ago

472 posts - 893 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Russian, Cantonese, Japanese, French, Hungarian, Czech, Swedish, Mandarin, Italian, Spanish

Message 227 of 432
10 April 2014 at 2:43pm | IP Logged 
If I participate I'll probably only be logging my Russian because that's what I'm most focused on and because I don't want to have to track every little activity I do. But just to throw my 2 cents in as regards to the L2->L3 discussion, in my experience it is absolutely possible to focus on audio and text at the same time, and in fact any L-R requires it.

If someone said they wanted to count watching movies they had on while they were reading a completely unrelated book, I would agree 100% that their attention would've had to shift and they probably couldn't do both fully.

However If I'm listening to Russian audio and reading along in French, and I understand Russian words that I've never heard before, it's because I pulled the translation out from the French I was reading. And just being able to keep the line you're reading synced up with the audio you're listening to means being able to follow along with both.

In my experience any inefficiencies in L2->L3 are the same that would happen with L-R or R-L with L1->L2 and it's not really a matter of being able to multi-task. If we were in a book club and I did L-R with my books with Russian audio while reading along with English text, would you say I couldn't have possibly read and understood the book because I was too focused on learning the Russian and didn't have the multi-tasking capabilities to do both?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 228 of 432
10 April 2014 at 3:27pm | IP Logged 
Exactly. Not to mention that movies without L2 audio still count if you have the subtitles. Is it really fair to value this more than multilingual LR sessions?

I can see the argument that French was YnEoS' stronger language in this case. But how about getting the meaning from the Polish words I hear for the first time? Besides, as I said, I wouldn't have chosen my weaker language. Most of the time I would've chosen my reading language regardless of my level. Even if I really did that to improve my knowledge of the language the audio was in.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 229 of 432
10 April 2014 at 4:17pm | IP Logged 
I hear what you say, but if you want to make it count twice, you have to do it twice. End of story.
7 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 230 of 432
10 April 2014 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
No, you have to listen twice to the same audio to make it count once. This makes if the text is the same as the audio, but not with two different yet corresponding texts. L2 audio, L2 text = comfort zone. L3 audio, L2 text = getting out of it.

What's wrong with counting only a fraction of the time? LR can be seen as a speed-reading technique that allows/forces you to read the text in 30 mins while the audio lasts 90 min. I urge/beg you to ask for the opinion of someone like Volte or to try it yourself.

Edited by Serpent on 10 April 2014 at 4:41pm

rlnv
United States
Joined 3732 days ago

126 posts - 233 votes 
Studies: French

Message 231 of 432
10 April 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

Almost :-)

100 books each of 50 pages equals 5000 pages.Correct.
100 movies each of approx. 90 minutes ( you can count two 40 minutes episodes as one movie, and if you
watch a movie that is an hour and 10-20 minutes you can still count it as a film)

And once you have completed a full Super Challenge, feel free to let your crazy side loose and go for a
double Super Challenge :-)

Excellent. I'd like to add thanks for organizing this challenge, and the May start timing could not be more perfect. I'm A1/A2ish right now, but plan to come out a solid B2.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5176 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 232 of 432
10 April 2014 at 8:42pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
I urge/beg you to ask for the opinion of someone like Volte or to try it yourself.

Cristina's challenge. Her rules. Don't act like a child. :-)

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version