Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4446 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 322 of 432
21 April 2014 at 11:45pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to clarify/ask about some aspects of the challenge.

The rules state that podcasts/audiobooks etc. count towards the film total. So if I
listen to 90m of pure TL audio, then I can count that as 90m and so one film. Is that a
correct interpretation? I'm thinking specifically of TL-only dialogues or TL-only
practice audio CDs and not mixed TL/native language stuff (like Pimsleur etc.).

Can I count online reading? I'd like an incentive to get me to read online news on a
more regular basis and this challenge may well be it. Obviously I cannot count pages
but I could trivially count words (or, as my TL is Japanese, characters). If this is
allowed, is there a suggested chars-to-pages conversion factor?

1 person has voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3828 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 323 of 432
22 April 2014 at 12:37pm | IP Logged 
Hi, is it the quarter challenge option doable? I don't have time to read the whole 41
pages thread :S

mountains
Norway
Joined 4374 days ago

12 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian

Message 324 of 432
22 April 2014 at 12:52pm | IP Logged 
I've just signed up for Norwegian. I'm currrently skirting the B2 zone, and would like to push that up to a solid C1 by
the end of the challenge, possibly even low C2.

Life got in the way of the last Super Challange which I bombed out in quite early, so I'm hoping to give this one a
good shot.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 325 of 432
22 April 2014 at 12:53pm | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:
Hi, is it the quarter challenge option doable? I don't have time to read the whole 41 pages thread :S

I would say, not officially. But I'm planning to sign up for a half challenge of ancient Greek, and I don't plan to do any of the watching/listening, and probably only about half (if that) of the reading half challenge.

I would suggest that on the registration thread you sign up as a half challenge, but in the comments mention that you actually only plan on completing 25 books/films. As far as the bot is concerned, you just register by language, and it tracks you.

Stars might be of interest to you. I can't remember if it was decided if you get a star at 25 books or films, or at 50 books or films. I hope we settle on 25, because then people could earn a star for a quarter of a challenge. It would be a sign that they've done something pretty significant, even if they haven't managed a full or half challenge.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 326 of 432
22 April 2014 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
Yes, that is correct interpretation, dampingwire. The important thing about movies and tv series is their audio, not the image, so audio only input counts just as much.

Online reading can count as well, it is still reading. However, how do people measure and count is something I'm not familiar with. I don't count my websites reading because I am lazy to measure it anyhow. If I did, I would have been done with the reading part after a few months.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tristano
Tetraglot
Netherlands
Joined 3828 days ago

905 posts - 1262 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, Spanish, French, English
Studies: Dutch

Message 327 of 432
22 April 2014 at 2:08pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:
tristano wrote:
Hi, is it the quarter challenge option doable? I
don't have time to read the whole 41 pages thread :S

I would say, not officially. But I'm planning to sign up for a half challenge of
ancient Greek, and I don't plan to do any of the watching/listening, and probably only
about half (if that) of the reading half challenge.

I would suggest that on the registration thread you sign up as a half challenge, but in
the comments mention that you actually only plan on completing 25 books/films. As far
as the bot is concerned, you just register by language, and it tracks you.

Stars might be of interest to you. I can't remember if it was decided if you get a
star at 25 books or films, or at 50 books or films. I hope we settle on 25, because
then people could earn a star for a quarter of a challenge. It would be a sign that
they've done something pretty significant, even if they haven't managed a full or half
challenge.

Ok thank you very much... only another naive questions :( Where is such registration
thread?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4690 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 328 of 432
22 April 2014 at 2:46pm | IP Logged 
tristano wrote:

Ok thank you very much... only another naive questions :( Where is such registration
thread?

The registration thread is:
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?T ID=38581&PN=0&TPN=1

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version