Triglot
United States
Joined 4404 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 369 of 432
26 April 2014 at 4:46am | IP Logged 
This is not related to the rules, so I'm not sure if it's the right spot for this, but...

I've noticed quite a few people on the signup thread mentioning they'd like to get recommendations from other SuperChallenge participants for materials in specific languages. I know (from personal experience) you can comb the logs and the long threads of posts for these, but that takes a lot of time and a lot of patience.

Would the Wiki be a good place to put all this together in one location? Maybe a page of "Resources for Challenges" for the individual language (with beginner, intermediate, advanced, and different categories such as films, series, audiobooks, novels, non-fiction, podcasts, maybe a comment?, etc.) I'm thinking the wiki would be good because multiple editors could add to the page, but it's all in one place. And it could be referenced not just for Super Challenge, but for other challenges, or just for people looking for tips.

Just an idea, if anyone has a better idea, please, please suggest it. I have never tried adding anything to the wiki, so also is what I'm suggesting above even feasible?
4 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 370 of 432
26 April 2014 at 7:49am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Expugnator wrote:
What if I watch audio in English with subtitles in TL? Does it
count
as video or should I just try to figure out some way to count it as reading?

From my earlier grepping of this thread, it won't count as audio (because the audio needs
to be in TL for that).

You can count it as reading, but you'll have to delve into the thread to find the
conversion factor suggested (sorry, I didn't internalise that part as I'm not planning to
count TL subtitles as anything).

This is not correct. Any film you watch counts as film, as long as it has either the audio or the subtitles in your
target language. It does however not count as reading. I am old fashioned enough to think that if you read
something, you should have time enough to process what you read, which you may or may not have when
they fly by on a film screen. And I am sure there will be people who assure me that they have no problems
following the subtitles, and that I am the Wicked Witch of the North for not letting it count as reading, but
that's the way it is. In some languages it is almost impossible to find films with TL audio, so any film you find
with either audio or subtitles counts as film. Not reading. Texts are usually considerably easier to come by :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

g-bod
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5764 days ago

1485 posts - 2002 votes 
Speaks: English*, Japanese
Studies: French, German

Message 371 of 432
26 April 2014 at 1:43pm | IP Logged 
Is there any standard way for counting pages in a newspaper, by which I mean the old
fashioned ones that are made of real paper?
1 person has voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 372 of 432
26 April 2014 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
This is not correct. Any film you watch counts as film, as long
as it has either the audio or the subtitles in your
target language.

Sorry for the misinformation.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
In some languages it is almost impossible to find films with TL
audio, so any film you find
with either audio or subtitles counts as film.

OK, that makes sense.

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 373 of 432
26 April 2014 at 2:22pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:
Is there any standard way for counting pages in a newspaper, by which I mean the old

An average book is 250-300 words per page, so I use that as a rough guide. I don't know what you should do with a newspaper page, but maybe count the words x inches of a column, and then you just have to measure your columns from then on.

It's not exactly simple, but as Cavesa will come along and say (rightly), exact precision isn't the important thing. Reading things you like is what is important.

Edited by Jeffers on 26 April 2014 at 2:55pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Kerrie
United States
justpaste.it/Kerrie2
Joined 5177 days ago

1232 posts - 1740 votes 
Studies: Spanish

Message 374 of 432
26 April 2014 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
This is not correct. Any film you watch counts as film, as long as it has either the audio or the subtitles in your target language. It does however not count as reading.

This kind of makes me sad, since it disqualifies me as a finisher last time around.

I watched two Korean dramas with Spanish subs last time, and counted them as reading. To be fair, I *had* to understand the subs since I don't understand Korean, or I would have been completely lost.

Oh well, finisher or not, I still learned a ton, and I will do it again. :D

rdearman
United Kingdom
rdearman.orgRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5018 days ago

881 posts - 1812 votes 
Studies: Italian, French, Mandarin

Message 375 of 432
26 April 2014 at 2:34pm | IP Logged 
g-bod wrote:

You can do what most publishers did before the advent of electronic word counts. Take the longest sentence in the column and count the words, count the number of rows in the article and multiple words x rows this will get you the number of words in the article.

For the purposes of this challenge 250 words = 1 page of a book. You can do the math from there.

:)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 376 of 432
26 April 2014 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Kerrie, for the previous challenge it was decided officially that subtitles count for reading too. Now it's changing apparently.

As for newspapers, I think the A4=two pages applies to most? Just use your best judgement, really.

Edited by Serpent on 26 April 2014 at 4:08pm

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version