United States
Joined 4409 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 393 of 432
27 April 2014 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
Jeffers wrote:

Would you like to start a new Super Challenge Resources discussion thread, and put your links at the top?

Done! I added some instructions as well. I hope those who are more tech-savvy can improve upon them. Thanks.
Content Recommendations Super Challenge

Edited by BAnna on 27 April 2014 at 4:51pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

surrealix
Diglot
Groupie
New Zealand
languagechallenge.su
Joined 4391 days ago

66 posts - 152 votes 
Speaks: English*, Swedish
Studies: French

Message 394 of 432
28 April 2014 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
I'm back within range of some reliable internet, so here's a quick update on the
twitter bot:

- The sign-ups are going well, and on the 30th I'll be resetting any recorded
minutes/pages to zero for the beginning of the challenge.

- There didn't seem to be an overwhelming push for challenge types, so I'll leave the
but as it currently is and instead put some time into getting the star system up and
running. I also agree about the motivational factor in this - and I'm looking forward
to starting the challenge myself!

Serpent wrote:
Can we tweet the bot to declare our challenges as completed?

This shouldn't be hard, I'll put it on my list. If I read this right, it's primarily a
way to turn off the "X books per week remaining" reminder?

Serpent wrote:
Also, it would be great if graph view and list view were not toggled as
"choose one" but as "display/hide". and the lists are going to be huge now if we tweet
every 50 pages...

I'm not sure I understand why you'd want this? - the only thing on the page is the
graph (or the list), so wouldn't turning it off would give you a blank page? (well,
perhaps the language heading, but that's always going to be at the top).

At any rate, I'll be monitoring things as we kick off on the 1st - if you have
suggestions, comments, notice any problems with the bot, or want any languages added,
just e-mail me or PM me here.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 395 of 432
28 April 2014 at 6:37am | IP Logged 
Yes, and to show everyone that you've achieved whatever goal you set for yourself :)

As for graphs/lists, well I mostly meant the opposite, ie showing them at the same time.

Also can you maybe add a link to the recommendations thread/wikia category main page?

Edited by Serpent on 28 April 2014 at 6:40am

1 person has voted this message useful

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3846 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 396 of 432
28 April 2014 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
Hello,
I'm new to the challenge and new to twitter and honestly I don't watn to go through the
50 pages in this thread.
But I have a few questions:
First to the twitter bot..
For the language: Is it equal to tweet for example #Spanish and #Es or do you have to do
one of that? I just want to register, thats why I ask..

And for the book section: What about reading through websites? Is this possible and how
do you count that?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 397 of 432
28 April 2014 at 6:00pm | IP Logged 
either of these will do. if you do something wrong the bot will tell you that there's a missing tag or whatever.

Tadoku has these guidelines for net:
A newspaper article or webpage counts as 1 page if it has roughly the 2 paragraphs worth of text, give or take a sentence. If the page is unusually long, you may count it as more than a page.

Basically, if in doubt, think of it this way:
    1 page = 2-3 paragraphs
    1 paragraph = 5-8 short sentences OR 2-4 long sentences

Note that Tadoku is a separate reading challenge. But these guidelines sure seem good.

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4953 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 398 of 432
28 April 2014 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
I read Cristina's post at the Registration thread and I was wondering: Was there a place where people evaluated their progress and achievements altogether at the previous SC? I'm really curious as to what the SC can do to my stagnated French.

Komma
Diglot
Germany
Joined 3846 days ago

107 posts - 134 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish

Message 399 of 432
28 April 2014 at 7:23pm | IP Logged 
Thanks, Serpent :-) I think this rule is quite plausible to me..

Just another question to book counts:
for example I read two books with 120 pages and 130 pages. And I would write to the bot
#read [120 page/s] and #read [130 page/s] it would count as 5 books in total right?
Or should one write something different, so that every book actually only counts twice?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4696 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 400 of 432
28 April 2014 at 7:53pm | IP Logged 
If you tweet the number of pages, the bot will add up everything you do. A book of 120 pages + a book of 130 pages would count as 5 books. So you don't need to tweet every 50 pages you read, you can tweet the whole book once you finish it.

This way shorter books also count. A book of 10 pages would count as 1/5 of a book. Every little bit adds up!

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 432 messages over 54 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version