Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Tri lingual parties a regular occurrence?

Tags: Multilingual
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4395 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 25 of 43
20 January 2014 at 4:39am | IP Logged 
Wow, the religion. This one must be a clairvoyant or something. I'd be very interested
indeed to see such a person in action. It will sure be a peculiar affair.Wonder what
would he say about my alien English.:D

Apart from that I'm sure anyone can make themselves sound like Maggie Thatcher or
something even more "posh". I remember once they were showing the Graham Norton show on
telly and there was this lad on a red chair telling some story, and he barely said a
sentence and Norton was like: "Let me just tell you: you sound SO posh". Didn't really
sound all that posh to me.

Conversely, in Bulgaria you can't really say the class of a person by the way they
speak, but interestingly, you can definitely see how educated they are after they say
just a couple of sentences. And, of course, you can also guess their dialect and that's
pretty much it.

And chess is popular in Bulgaria, yes. Actually a friend of mine teaches chess at some
schools, now that I think about it. :) It's good to know we're known at least with
something nice like it. :D

Edited by Einarr on 20 January 2014 at 4:43am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5116 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 26 of 43
20 January 2014 at 7:47am | IP Logged 
I could never tell a person's religion by their accent, but we just assume that everyone is a Protestant, I do not
even need all my fingers to count the Norwegian Catholics I have met In my life. It would make total sense
that someone from Northern Ireland could though.

What I could tell is education level, geographical origin and to a certain extent political sympathies.
1 person has voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4882 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 27 of 43
20 January 2014 at 10:46am | IP Logged 
I wish that I had that kind of problem. Every single person I associate with speaks English and the few who speak anything else still speak only English around me.

garyb
Triglot
ScotlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4989 days ago

1468 posts - 2413 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, French
Studies: Spanish

Message 28 of 43
20 January 2014 at 11:13am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I've been to a few parties that sound like a beginning of a joke: "So there was a Scot, a Pole, a Spaniard, a German and an Italian...". Unfortunately not as often as I'd like, but they do happen every so often. Most often it's Spanish people (I say it's not a real party if there aren't Spanish people there), and I see many more Spanish parties on the horizon now that I've started learning the language, but I've been to a couple of mostly-Italian parties too and I've even met the odd French person. A few weeks ago I was at an Italian/Polish dinner party, and a week later, a mainly Italian birthday party.

Generally at the start of the night, people make concessions for speakers of other languages, but towards the end the most dominant language wins. At that birthday party, the conversation ended up being entirely Italian for an hour or two, which was great for me but not so much for the other Scot there who didn't know any other languages!

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4404 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 29 of 43
20 January 2014 at 1:00pm | IP Logged 
I've been in many bilingual situations where I spoke English to some people and German to others (and where not every English speaker understood German and vice versa) but I've yet to experience a tri-lingual gathering.

However, I have an online friend in Germany who grew up in Lithuania. I speak only German with her as her English is very basic. She has a Lithuanian friend in England who is fluent in English but knows no German. I've always thought that it would be fascinating if we all met up. It would mean that whenever one of us spoke, whether in English, German or Lithuanian, only one of the other two would be able to follow the conversation.

Edited by beano on 20 January 2014 at 1:01pm

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5342 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 30 of 43
20 January 2014 at 2:01pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
The Netherlands is not a protestant country. The royal family is - but that has no
statutory on the influence of the rest of the country, because we don't have a state
church.

We are split half-half; north is protestant, south is Catholic, originally, with Catholic
enclaves in some places.

Good grief, I'm flabbergasted. I always assumed the religious divide ran along the border with Belgium. But trotzdem, without wishing to minimise the catholic contribution, isn't the whole history and identity and independence of the Netherlands tied up with protestantism?

Edited by schoenewaelder on 20 January 2014 at 2:04pm

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5342 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 31 of 43
20 January 2014 at 2:13pm | IP Logged 
Einarr wrote:
As an example, quite a lot of the kids in my school and particularly my class were "privileged" and they would make the life of the poor few a rather miserable experience. In the same time teachers managed to close their eyes very well indeed.

I've always found those American high-school movies where the rich kids bully the poor kids really weird. In your average British comprehensive, all those rich kids would probably get themselves knifed (although these days, most even modestly well off people probably send their kids to private schools anyway.)

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 32 of 43
20 January 2014 at 2:28pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
tarvos wrote:
The Netherlands is not a protestant country.
The royal family is - but that has no
statutory on the influence of the rest of the country, because we don't have a state
church.

We are split half-half; north is protestant, south is Catholic, originally, with
Catholic
enclaves in some places.

Good grief, I'm flabbergasted. I always assumed the religious divide ran along the
border with Belgium. But trotzdem, without wishing to minimise the catholic
contribution, isn't the whole history and identity and independence of the Netherlands
tied up with protestantism?

It is, partly. The reason is that the Batavian Republic - which was the northern
provinces (above the Meuse and Rhine) had converted to calvinism at the end of the 16th
century, and fought the 80 years war of independence against the Spanish empire (which
was Catholic). During this war, Catholic Spain occupied Flanders and the southern Dutch
territories (what is now modern Limburg and North Brabant). When the Dutch finally won
the revolt and got their independence (and provinces back) in 1648 (at the treaty of
Münster), it was the protestants who won (and thus the royal house is also protestant).
However, the conquered provinces that belonged to the Batavian Republic (before we
became a kingdom again) were the Catholic ones south of the river. (Keep in mind that
Belgium did not gain independence until the 19th century. In those days, Flanders WAS
the Netherlands - it was one country!).

However the protestants, even though they hated the Catholics, could not afford to
annoy a whole host of their provinces, and eventually a tolerance of Catholic religion
was established - officially, Catholicism was forbidden, but in practice Catholic
services continued (the country did the same for Jews who were in the area). This
freedom of religion eventually became known and eventually, the whole situation changed
again - and the state religion was lost at some point (ask a historian how - I think it
may have something to do with Thorbecke's famous liberal constitution of 1848).

What this means in practice is that the three southernmost provinces of the Netherlands
(with some exceptions for little villages in Zealand) are definitely Catholic
provinces, and during the war many Catholics fled north. There were many Catholic
enclaves in North Holland, Frisia, and so on. Catholicism is almost as widespread as
protestantism, in fact I think Catholics even outnumber protestants (although that may
be a paper falsehood as many modern Catholics which are officially registered in the
church books are non-practising - I know hosts and hosts of examples of nominal
"lapsed" Catholics who are in fact anything from pagan to atheist to agnostic to
religious, but refuse to attend organised religion).

So yes, culturally the Dutch are definitely Calvinist - the rich parts of the
Netherlands were influenced by that - but Catholicism is equally big, has always been a
pillar in Dutch history and Catholic parties always formed a significant part of the
political electorate.

I should here add that the southern part of the Netherlands is culturally and
linguistically much closer to Belgium than it is to the northern provinces. Their
dialects resemble Flemish Brabantic / Limburgian dialects much more, they use more
French words, their traditions more resemble the Belgians, and so on - and most people
from the North see them as almost another people.

But to state that the Netherlands is a protestant country is definitely false and it
has never been true historically either. Only that for a long while, the formative
ruling governments were calvinist, but even that has changed (and in modern times the
biggest Christian party is actually a fusion of Catholic and Protestant parties in an
attempt to keep that part of the electorate together).

Edited by tarvos on 20 January 2014 at 2:31pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version