Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Tri lingual parties a regular occurrence?

Tags: Multilingual
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4394 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 33 of 43
20 January 2014 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
schoenewaelder wrote:
Einarr wrote:
As an example, quite a lot of the kids in my
school and particularly my class were "privileged" and they would make the life of the
poor few a rather miserable experience. In the same time teachers managed to close
their eyes very well indeed.

I've always found those American high-school movies where the rich kids bully the poor
kids really weird. In your average British comprehensive, all those rich kids would
probably get themselves knifed (although these days, most even modestly well off people
probably send their kids to private schools anyway.)

Well, the thing is, that back in Bulgaria if you'd want to get quality education, that
would get you into good university at home or abroad, you go to a public school.
Private schools there are usually made for those who'd go only to get a whatever high-
school diploma, because mom and dad can do the rest with money. There are only two
private schools that are as good as the top - tier high schools, and these are The
American college and The Italian lyceum, but both of these are for the God chosen ones,
and they usually cost a small fortune to study into.
About knifing, nobody got knifed, though I thing I've seen people with knifes, yet
everything else in the bullying deparment was very miserable indeed.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4420 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 34 of 43
20 January 2014 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
I enjoy the turn this thread has taken, from what language to speak in multilingual parties (and not in the political sense) to a discussion around language and religion/social class etc. And to tarvos, thanks for your contribution, I see that I was rather ignorant about the link between relgion and historical developments in the Netherlands. I learnt something.

To return to the original topic of the thread, almost every party I attend are with people speaking different native languages, so normally the common language will be French or English. It has happened from time to time that another lanuage has been dominant, e.g. a majority of German-speakers, but even then they will mainly keep to English and French in order not to exclude anyone. Only once, when there was a world cup football match on, Germany vs. Portugal I believe, the Germans outnumbered the rest of us 7 to 1, and obviously the match was eagerly commented in German.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
What I could tell is education level, geographical origin and to a certain extent political sympathies.

I don't know how it is now, but when I grew up in Oslo in the 1970s, you could very easily tell who was politically leftwing or rightwing by the way they talked. Anyone who used a lot of female forms of nouns, verb endings in -a and a few other "radical forms" would normally be leftwing. People speaking some sort of "riksmål" would most certainly vote conservative. Of course there were exceptions, but in those days your choice of language was often a political statement as well.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 35 of 43
20 January 2014 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
Religion is a slightly strange subject in the Netherlands. Historically we were called
"tolerant" of religion (because Catholics and Jews were secretly allowed to practice
their religion in protestant areas), but historically the divide between the separate
religious classes (and even the liberals and socials) was always a part. This broke
down during the hippie age in the 60s and 70s, when people from each pillar started
intermixing. Until the 1960s or so, you belonged to either a Protestant pillar, a
Catholic pillar, a Labour pillar, or a Liberal pillar (or in some cases a Jewish
pillar). All newspapers, radio stations, later also television programmes, were
affiliated with one of these pillars - people only watched their own pillar's
programmes.

So in the Netherlands, knowing whether someone was a part of the "reformed" or the
"secular" or the "catholic" community was important. In many towns and cities, you will
see that each area has a school for each of "Catholic", "Protestant" and "Public". This
even went down to the names - the protestant schools were often named for the royal
family, the Catholics after saints, and the public schools could be anything like "The
Butterfly" or "The Two-Masted Boat" or the name of the neighbourhood or whatever.

There is even a famous saying "Twee geloven op een kussen, daar slaapt de duivel
tussen" (two beliefs on a cushion, the devil sleeps between them), which meant that
different types of religion do not mix in a relationship. It may partly be historical
but also refers to the distrust of the other pillars. However, since the 70s and the
liberalization of thought in the Netherlands, those historical pillarizations may be
relevant for older generations, but the current youth really doesn't bother with that
affiliation anymore, unless they are very strictly religious (and that's a grand
minority).

By the way, I am a good example of a youth where the affiliation was lost - my family
are all Catholics (oh woe betide the one who married a Protestant, but no one did), but
the religion broke down in my parents' youth and was never transmitted past my own
generation. This is a common occurence nowadays - parents who don't baptise their
children even though they are baptised, or only out of tradition, not out of a
particular religious belief.

Edited by tarvos on 20 January 2014 at 4:25pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 36 of 43
20 January 2014 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
Ogrim wrote:
I enjoy the turn this thread has taken, from what language to speak in multilingual parties
(and not in the political sense) to a discussion around language and religion/social class etc. And to tarvos,
thanks for your contribution, I see that I was rather ignorant about the link between relgion and historical
developments in the Netherlands. I learnt something.

To return to the original topic of the thread, almost every party I attend are with people speaking different
native languages, so normally the common language will be French or English. It has happened from time to
time that another lanuage has been dominant, e.g. a majority of German-speakers, but even then they will
mainly keep to English and French in order not to exclude anyone. Only once, when there was a world cup
football match on, Germany vs. Portugal I believe, the Germans outnumbered the rest of us 7 to 1, and
obviously the match was eagerly commented in German.

Solfrid Cristin wrote:
What I could tell is education level, geographical origin and to a certain extent
political sympathies.

I don't know how it is now, but when I grew up in Oslo in the 1970s, you could very easily tell who was
politically leftwing or rightwing by the way they talked. Anyone who used a lot of female forms of nouns, verb
endings in -a and a few other "radical forms" would normally be leftwing. People speaking some sort of
"riksmål" would most certainly vote conservative. Of course there were exceptions, but in those days your
choice of language was often a political statement as well.

It has not changed much :-)
1 person has voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4034 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 37 of 43
20 January 2014 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
In Finland there are virtually no private schools because for basic education it is forbidden by law to ask for tuition fees, or so I believe. Everyone goes to the same schools and I haven't really seen or heard of any class-clashing though I'm sure it exists somewhere.

Also I was raised godless in a godless household in a religious void and we don't speak of income as if it were taboo.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4553 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 38 of 43
20 January 2014 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
Wow, quite a thread indeed. I haven't been following since I thought that I didn't have much to share in terms of experiences in trilingual parties, but now that I suddenly recalled the English-Norwegian-Japanese party I attended in Oslo the thread seems to have moved on! Oh well, if anyone's still interested in that topic, I've written about my experiences at that party here and here. Now on to the real topics :)

About discussing incomes, there does seem to be quite a bit of variation in cultural attitudes. Here in Russia, while talking about incomes in terms of exact numbers is considered somewhat rude, the rules are more lax when it comes to expenditures. I myself still run into a but of a "culture shock" about this. It's been a little more than a year since I moved to Moscow and got my first job, and I still can't get used to people whom I only just met asking me how much I pay in rent. Lately I've been wondering if it's a Moscow thing I don't get because I'm not from here, a Russian thing I never acquired due to having spent most of my formative years outside the country, an adult thing that I've yet to get used to as a recent entrant into the workforce, or a universal human thing that I fail to comprehend with my barely existent social skills. Seeing some of the other responses on this thread I guess I can rule out the latter two possibilities :)

Einarr wrote:

Well, the thing is, that back in Bulgaria if you'd want to get quality education, that
would get you into good university at home or abroad, you go to a public school.
Private schools there are usually made for those who'd go only to get a whatever high-
school diploma, because mom and dad can do the rest with money.
The situation in Kazakhstan, where I grew up, might be somewhat similar to what you describe, although I, as a private school student, sometimes felt that the education bureaucracy was doing its best to promote this stereotype. I remember taking part in a district-level English olympiad in seventh or eighth grade. We were told that those who got the first three places would qualify for the city-wide olympiad. I got third place, while two of my classmates tied for first. Only the public school student who got second place advanced to the next level. When our teacher went to complain she was told in no uncertain terms that private school students weren't allowed to advance since that would make the district's public school system look bad, and that we should just be grateful that we were even allowed to keep our prizes. These days they probably would have told us something like "check your privilege" ;)

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4150 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 39 of 43
20 January 2014 at 9:07pm | IP Logged 
Thinking to all of my experiences with people of various nationalities, the only questions/assumptions about my income or religion have come from people who grew up in Poland or eastward. Very interesting how different subjects come up in different cultural circles.

The best multilingual event I ever went to was the wedding of two friends who are Bulgarian and Peruvian. It was a fun mix of Spanish Bulgarian Russian and English.

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 40 of 43
20 January 2014 at 9:20pm | IP Logged 
At Christmas my wife and I visited my wife's aunt and uncle, with my sister-in-law and partner, my brother-in-law, and my wife's parents.

The parent's and aunt and uncle spoke to each other in Platt Deutsch. They spoke to the rest of us in Hochdeutsch. I spoke mostly Hochdeutsch with everyone, but English with my sister-in-law's brother who is more comfortable in English than German - he's French. My sister-in-law and he spoke French and made loving eyes at each at the other end of the table all night, at the other end of the table my father-in-law got into a heated political discussion over the democratic future of China in Platt, I spoke in German to by brother-in-law and he in English about his masters thesis on the underdeveloped nature of comedy writing in Germany. Lots of alcohol was drunk.

Edited by patrickwilken on 20 January 2014 at 9:27pm

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version