Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Tri lingual parties a regular occurrence?

Tags: Multilingual
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
43 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4400 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 41 of 43
20 January 2014 at 9:57pm | IP Logged 
vonPeterhof wrote:

Einarr wrote:

Well, the thing is, that back in Bulgaria if you'd want to get quality education, that
would get you into good university at home or abroad, you go to a public school.
Private schools there are usually made for those who'd go only to get a whatever high-
school diploma, because mom and dad can do the rest with money.
The situation
in Kazakhstan, where I grew up, might be somewhat similar to what you describe,
although I, as a private school student, sometimes felt that the education bureaucracy
was doing its best to promote this stereotype. I remember taking part in a district-
level English
olympiad in seventh
or eighth grade. We were told that those who got the first three places would qualify
for the city-wide olympiad. I got third place, while two of my classmates tied for
first. Only the public school student who got second place advanced to the next level.
When our teacher went to complain she was told in no uncertain terms that private
school students weren't allowed to advance since that would make the district's public
school system look bad, and that we should just be grateful that we were even allowed
to keep our prizes. These days they probably would have told us something like "check
your privilege" ;)

We've got olympiads as well, though sadly I couldn't find any statistics whatsoever in
order to see whether the private schools have improved. All I found was the statistics
from the
Maturas and basically not much has
changed since I've graduated. The top ones in the capital (and pretty much the country)
are The American College (which is private and quite beyond limits for pretty much
everyone) and then there're the German/Spanish/French and English Lycees which are
public. Apart from that I've never heard whether the government may suppress the
freedoms of the private schools. I've known people from such and they've never shared
any information on the matter, though anything is possible really.

Edited by Einarr on 20 January 2014 at 9:58pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 42 of 43
20 January 2014 at 9:59pm | IP Logged 
Probably a Moscow thing :-) It's kinda like asking how well you've settled here, whether you are satisfied etc - part of the "how are you?" question :) Plus if you indicate being unsatisfied with how much rent you have to pay, anyone can think of a decent person in a similar situation who's looking for a flatmate/roommate and/or a decent person who's looking for someone to rent their flat to.

Edited by Serpent on 20 January 2014 at 10:11pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 43 of 43
22 January 2014 at 5:13am | IP Logged 
Randomly came across this link, heh.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version