Bulgaria
Joined 3750 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes
Speaks: Bulgarian*
Studies: Japanese

Message 1 of 7
18 January 2014 at 8:48pm | IP Logged 

Hello everyone!
I'm new to HTLAL and writing journals about my language learning progress but this sure looks like fun :)

My history with Japanese is long-winded but suffice to say I have been a chronic beginner for a while. Being stuck in the same place for years started to annoy me so I've decided to stick with it and move on to the next level. I want to reach the point where I'll be able to read Japanese books without looking up every word and grammar construction.

Since September 2013 I have been using Wanikani and I'm currently level 10. From now on I'll start reading more in Japanese.

2014-01-18:
Reading: 結婚したばかりの男性を雪に投げる行事「む こ投げ」 (NHK Easy News) about the groom throwing custom in Tookamachi city, Niigata prefecture

Edited by Naerro on 18 January 2014 at 11:10pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Naerro
Bulgaria
Joined 3750 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 2 of 7
31 March 2014 at 10:15am | IP Logged 
I have been thinking how the reason to learn a language determines your success in that language. You should really do what you enjoy in that language or you walk away from it. Thanks Khatzumoto (who knew I would ever agree with him).

So...

For Japanese: manga
For Portuguese: capoeira
For Chinese: Chinese movies/customers?
For Spanish: guitar?
For Russian: books.
For Sanskrit: yoga.
For Korean: manhwa.
For German: books.
For English: books, roleplaying, writing.

PS. Little Portuguese primer.

Edited by Naerro on 31 March 2014 at 10:19am

Lakeseayesno
Tetraglot
Mexico
thepolyglotist.com
Joined 4116 days ago

280 posts - 488 votes 
Speaks: English, Spanish*, Japanese, Italian
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 3 of 7
31 March 2014 at 6:15pm | IP Logged 
Believe me, being a chronic beginner is a common problem among Japanese learners; it's almost like you're pushing a boulder up a hill and just before you get somewhere interesting, the damn thing gets stuck. Until you find out how to move it away from the block, you're either stuck there holding the boulder, or you let go and go back to the bottom to pick it up later.

However, there's good news--there's a point where you stop pushing it uphill. The terrain is quite manageable after that. :)

Good luck with your Japanese!

Naerro
Bulgaria
Joined 3750 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 4 of 7
13 April 2014 at 3:22pm | IP Logged 
Lakeseayesno wrote:
Believe me, being a chronic beginner is a common problem among Japanese learners; it's almost like you're pushing a boulder up a hill and just before you get somewhere interesting, the damn thing gets stuck. Until you find out how to move it away from the block, you're either stuck there holding the boulder, or you let go and go back to the bottom to pick it up later.

However, there's good news--there's a point where you stop pushing it uphill. The terrain is quite manageable after that. :)

Good luck with your Japanese!

I couldn't agree more! I think I'm slowly getting somewhere though and I like it. It feels like I'm quite close to that manageable level you mentioned. We shall see.

Thank you very much for the encouragement!

Naerro
Bulgaria
Joined 3750 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 5 of 7
13 April 2014 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
After almost 3 months break from WaniKani, I went back and I'm now lvl 11, looking forward to lvl 12 soon.

It might not look like much but I hadn't forgotten a lot so I could pick up again from where I stopped. I've also applied for a translator position in a scanlation group. Even if they don't take me, I might do the typesetting and practice translating at the same time.

Naerro
Bulgaria
Joined 3750 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 6 of 7
29 May 2014 at 9:05am | IP Logged 
I have been studying on Wanikani consistently for 2 months, missing only 2 days. I'm level 14 now, soon to reach level 15.

I got accept into the scanlation group and I'm now translating one manga for the group and one as a personal project. Not much time for anything else at the moment.

Edited by Naerro on 29 May 2014 at 9:07am

Naerro
Bulgaria
Joined 3750 days ago

6 posts - 6 votes

Message 7 of 7
07 December 2014 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
Got to level 18 on Wanikani and think I had enough of it. Back to basics.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version