Diglot
United States
Joined 6995 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 8
21 January 2014 at 11:33am | IP Logged 
FSI French Phonology is a programmed introduction to French phonology designed as a predecessor to FSI Basic French (Revised).

French pronunciation is challenging to do well. Mapping the written language to the spoken is difficult because French, although somewhat phonetic has a lot of rules and exceptions (somewhat like English in that regard).

I've been doing the French Phonology course over the last few weeks. It's well suited to 30 minute sessions. There are 10 units. Each unit is divided in 3 parts. Each part is approximately a half hour of work.

Part one of each unit is a brief dialogue and buildup of the some phonological points taken bit by bit. The "bit by bit" is the nature of "programmed instruction".

Part two is a formalization and expansion of the phonology introduced it part 1. It includes a series of written and spoken challenges. Being able to do part two means you've grasped the grammar, spelling, and vocabulary of the unit.

Part three is a series of "tests". Some of these are recorded. Many are written. These give you an idea an idea how well you've "mastered" the material.

I'm also doing FSI Basic French and see how the Phonology course complements the Basic course. A lot of the material in Phonology is covered in more depth in the first 4 units of (of 24) in Basic French. In addition to phonology, there is treatment of the 3 most popular verbs, etre, avoir, and aller; as well as regular "er" verbs. The phonology course also introduces the passé composé which Basic covers in unit 9, although it is introduced earlier.

For review or mastery of the dialogues, I pulled the dialogues themselves out of the recording with Audacity so they can be listened to or shadowed independent of the 30 minute lesson. The biggest revelation here was that one can "play the parts" while shadowing the dialogues. This is a technique (other than the shadowing) that FSI courses routinely use. The shadowing part though is good because it helps one identify pronunciation variation or hesitation and to really plug into what the dialogues are communicating. Best of all, the 5 hours of instruction is consolidated into a 5 minute review. (That is, playing both parts for all 10 dialogues).

Pros:
Reveals phonology and spelling conventions used in French in a systematic way.
Hits the very core of the language. Although I've never heard him mention it, it seems like it would go along with s_allard's 500 words, good pronunciation and the common verbs approach. (it's not everything s_allard would have in a course, but it does remind me of him now).
Great preparation for FSI Basic French.
Listening, speaking, reading, and writing are all covered.
Created by the U.S. Foreign Service Institute by experts in language learning from the 1960s/70s during what Professor Arguelles calls the "heyday" (height - zenith) of language learning courses.

Cons:
It's not a communicative approach per se.
It moves slowly.
The recordings are old and not very crisp.

Bottom line:
I've found it helpful. I'm glad I did it. 30-50 hours of the 600 hours of the time to learn French.

Edited by luke on 21 January 2014 at 11:58am

12 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 2 of 8
21 January 2014 at 11:45am | IP Logged 
Thanks, I use it as well and I am happy to read this great review.
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7028 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 3 of 8
21 January 2014 at 12:20pm | IP Logged 
Wow, I worked through FSI French a while back. I didn't even know this existed. Cool!

Mohave
United States
justpaste.it/Mohave1
Joined 3797 days ago

291 posts - 444 votes 
Studies: French

Message 4 of 8
21 January 2014 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
Thank you so very much for your review! I have been strongly considering adding in FSI Phonology once I
complete the passive wave of FWT (in the next 30 days). Your review could not have been better timing for
me!

Thank you!

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5165 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 5 of 8
21 January 2014 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your review, Luke.

Could you comment on how appropriate it would be as an initial starting point for the beginning self-study French student?

Also, you say you spent 30-50 hours on it. I believe you have significant French experience. How many hours would/should the beginner spend on it?

I note that the preface to the program says the FSI students would spend 3-6 weeks on it full-time. That seems excessive to me, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5355 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 6 of 8
21 January 2014 at 3:53pm | IP Logged 
I would really recommend it to and as early as possible - it makes explicit aspects of
French pronunciation (particularly nasal sounds) that other courses seem to take for
granted.

2 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6995 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 7 of 8
22 January 2014 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Thank you for your review, Luke.

Could you comment on how appropriate it would be as an initial starting point for the beginning self-study French student?

Also, you say you spent 30-50 hours on it. I believe you have significant French experience. How many hours would/should the beginner spend on it?

I note that the preface to the program says the FSI students would spend 3-6 weeks on it full-time. That seems excessive to me, but I'd appreciate your thoughts.

I do think the course would be useful for a beginning French student. It does require time with the books. The Instructor's manual has answers to the tests and exercises. I start with the Student book, then use the Instructor's manual to review the dialogue and do the exercises a second time.

30 hours would be for someone who has most of the material down. 50 for someone who wants to review more or to repeat certain parts. Once one has dialogs mostly down, one can perfect them away from the book. I'm considering doing the Part 2 sections again, since they are the most focused on covering how to pronounce what you read. There are several useful tests where you read new words before the "instructor" so you can check if you understand the rules of written French.

From reading the Instructor's manual, they do create some conversations and do the dialogs in class. That would add some time in a classroom scenario. Myself, I imagined they would cover the whole course in about 1 week, then move in FSI Basic. You know they have a demanding pace at the FSI. I then imagined they would do units 1 and 2 in Basic during week 2, then perhaps one unit per week for the rest of a 24 week course.
4 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6995 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 

Message 8 of 8
22 January 2014 at 11:30am | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
I note that the preface to the program says the FSI students would spend 3-6 weeks on it full-time.

You're right though. That's what the preface says.

When I was thinking about it later, I thought of the DLI Basic French Course (U.S. Defense Language Institute). That course devotes the first 15 lessons (15 days) to phonology.

4 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version