United States
Joined 3721 days ago

2 posts - 2 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 1 of 5
22 January 2014 at 4:00am | IP Logged 
Hey everyone!

I'm Phillip, I have been a reader of discussions on here for a while now. So, I am just signing up now finally. I am currently learning Russian. I decided to start learning it because I taught myself the Cyrillic alphabet a few years ago and wanted to continue from that. I also am interested in learning other Slavic languages and Russian would help with those. I am using Assimil, New Penguin Russian Course, and I did some Pimsleur (but I dropped it because it kept throwing numbers at me too early on and overwhelmed me). And I watch movies, youtube videos, some watch some news in Russian to help out.

I am also learning Spanish for a while now. I started it mostly because my mother's side of the family speaks it and she never taught me. At the moment I would describe myself as at a basic conversational level now. I did all units of Pimsleur, my mother helped me out, and I had some immersion spending a month in a half in Panama. I still struggle with a gringo accent and knowing exactly what to say, since I think Pimsleur just had me responding to prompts given in English. I try to use this language as much as I can to get better.

There are plenty of other languages I want to learn in the future. Some day I will start those.

I apologize if that was bit too long.

And hopefully I will get to know some of you!

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6463 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 5
22 January 2014 at 11:10am | IP Logged 
It was not too long. Welcome to the forum.

Fiona S.
Bilingual Diglot
United States
Joined 3721 days ago

26 posts - 31 votes
Speaks: English*, Dutch*
Studies: Spanish, Russian

Message 3 of 5
26 January 2014 at 6:58am | IP Logged 
Welcome!

BaronBill
Triglot
United States
HowToLanguages.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4449 days ago

335 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, German
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin, Persian

Message 4 of 5
26 January 2014 at 7:29am | IP Logged 
Welcome to the Forums Phillip!

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 6998 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 5 of 5
26 January 2014 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Welcome! I'm still trying to sort out that "bI" sound :)

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version