Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 49 of 98
17 February 2014 at 8:34am | IP Logged 
Today was another lazy day.

汉语:
Today i read through the rest of the lesson and did the exercises for lesson 8. I also did a bit of reading on lingocracy.com, going through the story 撒哈拉的故事 that PointsDotsLines recommended. Without a dictionary it'd still be way too hard, but with a dictionary i can get through it relatively quickly. I spread my flashcard reviews into three sets of 100, and for some reason i felt much better about them today. Maybe i was just grumpy or tired when i did them the previous couple days?

Euskara:
Today i listened to the audio portion of Colloquial Basque twice, then finished up lesson 17 from the Ikasten course. It was about telling time and the synthetic form of eraman (to take). I'm not quite sure i've got the difference between eraman (to take) and ekarri (to bring) completely ironed out, it seems like there are a few situations where maybe in English the choice isn't so strict? I'm not sure. Anyway, just one lesson left in the A1 section of the course :)
1 person has voted this message useful

shapd
United Kingdom
Joined 5935 days ago

126 posts - 208 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Italian, Spanish, Latin, Modern Hebrew, French, Russian

Message 50 of 98
17 February 2014 at 2:21pm | IP Logged 
Have you tried the online El Correo Digital Basque course? It has three levels. I had difficulty getting the audio to work, but it looks quite fun.
http://servicios.elcorreo.com/euskera/

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 51 of 98
17 February 2014 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
I've seen the course but it doesn't seem that organized. It does look interesting and it would probably work as a nice first reader to pick up some vocabulary. I'm curious how far it goes? I just looked at the last few lessons of the Iniciación course and had no trouble understanding them. Maybe i'll work with that course after i finish Colloquial Basque. Thanks for mentioning it :)

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 52 of 98
19 February 2014 at 7:40am | IP Logged 
Today i finished the last A1 lesson in the Ikasten course! Tomorrow i'll start the A2 section. It looks like the next few lessons will be about the present continuous, past, and future tenses. It should be a nice review, i can't wait until i get to some more new stuff though.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 53 of 98
19 February 2014 at 9:37pm | IP Logged 
For the past few days the Ikasten course has been a bit unstable, i'm not really sure what's going on, i just hope that it doesn't mean the course is on the way out.

While waiting for it to come back i've just been reading 撒哈拉的故事 at Lingocracy. I've read the first three chapters so far, but they're pretty short. Now i'm working my way through chapter 4, which is much longer than the others so far.

I might head over to parla.cat in the meantime and try to refresh my Catalan a bit.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 54 of 98
23 February 2014 at 9:27am | IP Logged 
Euskara
The past couple days Ikasten has been down, it finally came back up last night which was a relief as i was afraid it was down for good. It's been going on and offline quite a bit this past week or so. Today i finished lesson 19, which was about the present continuous. In Basque, the present continuous uses the present participle of the verb (-t(z)en) followed by ari + izan. I think this means that all verbs use the NOR case in the present continuous. For example, normally you would have:
Nik ez dut haragia jaten : I don't eat meat
Ni ez naiz haragia jaten ari : I am not eating (the) meat
The first sentence has the verb in NORK, meaning it uses ukan as an auxiliary and the subject goes in ergative, hence the -k ending on ni (I). The second sentence is in NOR, which uses "izan", meaning "ni" doesn't have the ergative ending. I'm not quite sure if it will work the same for more complicated sentences, like "Nik dena esaten dizut" (I tell you everything). Saying "Ni dena esaten ari naiz" literally just means "I am telling everything", i wonder if you need to toss in a "zuri" (to you) or if there's another way to say it.

Chinese
I've stopped going through the text book as it was getting a little overwhelming, so i've decided to take a little break. Lately i've just been reading on Lingocracy, doing my character reviews, and watching iPartment. When i get things a bit more under control, i'll restart my textbook.

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 55 of 98
25 February 2014 at 3:29am | IP Logged 
Ahhh Ikasten is down again. I guess that means no Basque study (again) today. Most of the days where i haven't studied weren't from a lack of desire, just that the site's been down.

In the meantime, i've been using it as an excuse to brush up on my Catalan at parla.cat. I'd also like to work on my Galician a bit, too, but i'm trying really hard not to spread myself too thin.

I finished another chapter of 撒哈拉的故事 at Lingocracy today, it's been taking me a day or two to finish a chapter. They're not too long, but especially staring at Chinese characters on the computer screen for such a long time makes my eyes sore so i've got to go do something else. I've also been doing better at my character reviews. Maybe it's because i've been taking them more slowly and breaking sessions up, doing 50-100 reviews at a time. The percent i remember has gone up about 10-15% (to 75-80%) back to where it was a few weeks ago. Once i finish the HSK5 list i'm probably going to slow down with the character reviews and work more on reading/getting more exposure to the characters and words.

EDIT: Ok, it came back online later. I just finished lesson 21, about the future tense and the NOREKIN case (with someone). It was a review so wasn't too difficult, though i have to say i need to get used to the future feeling like the future. Hearing "joango da" should make me feel that it's in the future, currently i have to think about it as it still feels like the past tense (joan da) to me. I'm still making lots of silly mistakes with tenses, so i know i haven't internalized them yet. I do know them, though. The next milestone will be lesson 35, where the "B1" (and supposedly more interesting) lessons begin!

Edited by Crush on 25 February 2014 at 8:22am

Crush
Tetraglot
Joined 5651 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 

Message 56 of 98
03 March 2014 at 1:32am | IP Logged 
Euskara
Gaur 24-garren ikasgaia amaitu dut. Orain errepasoa egin nahi dut.

汉语
今天我把«撒哈拉的故事»的第7章看完了。 这个月我要在«lingocracy»看一百页, 已经看了十五页。 我真希望能看完 «撒哈拉的故事», 还差120页。

This discussion contains 98 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version