Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 97 of 98
23 November 2014 at 5:46am | IP Logged 
Yesterday and today i've been working on making matching subtitles to 爱情公寓. Viki.com has English subtitles and mostly complete Chinese ones, unfortunately you can't directly download the Chinese subtitles with http://vikisubtitle.com/, but the English ones download just fine. I copied the text of the subtitles from the batch subtitle editor page, deleted the English and other parts, and copied and aligned the subtitles in Subtitle Edit. The first episode was missing the last quarter, so i found bits and pieces of it online (mostly fan transcriptions) and filled in the remaining 25%. Now i've got matching subtitles for the first two episodes that are nicely aligned with the copy of the videos i've got. There are only English translations (so far they've all been really good) for the first 7 episodes or so, and the last two aren't complete (episode 6 = 65%, episode 7 = 93%, so close enough).

I'll also need to find some transcriptions online. I've had varying results searching for 台词, sometimes it's a fully transcribed scene and other times it seems like an overview of the scene, i'm not sure if maybe it doesn't mean what i think it does. A Chinese friend helped me find partial transcripts for the second season.

So that's what i've been up to, in Pleco i've got around 3600 cards, i just finished the Subs2SRS deck i made from Lust, Caution (i got around 600 cards from it), and i've picked up Skritter again. I've almost finished the HSK3 list but right now the bulk of my efforts is going into the HSK6 list as there is some overlap with the HSK6 list i've got in Pleco. I'm around 500 characters into it now. My main goal now is to finally get through the HSK6 list. Once i do that i want to review some grammar and start shifting most of my attention to reading and native materials. Mandarin 2015 or never!
1 person has voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5652 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 98 of 98
13 January 2015 at 8:58am | IP Logged 
I guess this is a closing post for last year's TAC log. I did a ton of work with Chinese this year, though again there was a few months where i lost my motivation and let me characters slip. Pleco currently shows that i've got 4,016 learned cards, with a little over 1,500 cards left to learn in the HSK6 deck. I've recently upped my daily cards from 7 to 8 to 9 and now up to 10, where i'm going to try to stay until i get through the rest of the deck. It'll take me a few more months, but i'll be really excited once i get there. I can already feel that native material isn't too far away, with an extra 1,500 words in my pocket i think i'll be doing pretty well.

I also kept up with Skritter pretty regularly until recently (currently have a 228 card backlog [EDIT: finally caught back up! let's hope i can keep up]). I finished the HSK3 list and have 1950 words left in the HSK6 list. It's kinda nice because the Skritter list sometimes teaches me words i haven't learned yet in Pleco, so it's easier to learn those when i come across them in Pleco.

This past year was a major failure for Basque, but that's ok because i really want to focus on getting my Chinese fluent and to the point where i can just get by using native material.

On a side note, Korean seems really popular here in China and i've let myself be convinced to study it with a friend here. I've spent some time learning the alphabet and how to type as well as listening to some Talk to me in Korean episodes, though i must say i'm a bit anxious about putting another "Mandarin" on my list, by which i mean another five year commitment before the language really starts to open itself up to me. Especially if my friend ends up dropping the language.

All in all, i'm not dissatisfied with what i did this year, apart from a couple months i was pretty consistent and even learned a lot in some other languages (namely Italian). It's just that a year with Chinese feels like a month with my other languages. I think this saying is pretty appropriate: 不怕慢,只怕站! I think the literal translation gives a pretty good idea: "Not afraid to be slow, just afraid of standing still"

2015年我还要继续努力学习汉语, 希望今年终于能达到我好几年追求的目标: 能流利说汉语而听懂电影,电视剧,和我朋友 说的话! 祝大家成功! 不要放弃,你一定会成功的!咱们一起学习, 互相帮助。

EDIT: Yesterday i learned a new chengyu: 任重道远 - a heavy load and a long road!

Edited by Crush on 14 January 2015 at 9:59am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 98 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version