United States
Joined 5042 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 1 of 11
27 January 2014 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
Hello all,

I am preparing to restructure my life. In a few short months I'm going to graduate college, and I want to make some lifestyle changes. Specifically, I want to spend way less time sitting around studying, and way more time out and about, which leads me to my question. Currently, I have 4 or 5 Skype calls per week, and it's been great for my overall progress, but I am curious what minimum level I can cut it down to and maintain (and hopefully increase) my level of speech ability. My plan for when I graduate is to spend 1 hour a day on input (30 minutes reading/30 minutes listening) and do 1, 1 hour Skype call per week. Do you think 1 conversation per week will be enough to continue to increase my productive abilities? Thank you in advance for any ideas or advice. Take care, all.

Cody

P.S. This plan is for Spanish only, and is separate from my Mandarin studies.
1 person has voted this message useful

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4230 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 2 of 11
28 January 2014 at 6:34am | IP Logged 

Edited by shk00design on 28 January 2014 at 11:01pm

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5042 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 

Message 3 of 11
28 January 2014 at 6:57am | IP Logged 
Maybe I'm missing something, but I don't really see how that answers my question, and I don't really understand what you're getting at.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6489 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 11
28 January 2014 at 9:40am | IP Logged 
I can't see why you want to cut down on your skype activity, which apparently is both entertaining, manageable AND beneficial for you. Personally I don't use skype (maybe I should), but based on my experiences with other extensive activities I would say that you can survive on very little activity if you had a high and stable level beforehand, but if you aren't absolutely comfortable with a language then 4 or 5 sessions of a given type isn't too much at all.

Edited by Iversen on 28 January 2014 at 9:41am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3930 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 5 of 11
28 January 2014 at 11:25am | IP Logged 
MixedUpCody wrote:
Hello all,

I am preparing to restructure my life. In a few short months I'm going to graduate college, and I want to make
some lifestyle changes. Specifically, I want to spend way less time sitting around studying, and way more time
out and about, which leads me to my question. Currently, I have 4 or 5 Skype calls per week, and it's been great
for my overall progress, but I am curious what minimum level I can cut it down to and maintain (and hopefully
increase) my level of speech ability. My plan for when I graduate is to spend 1 hour a day on input (30 minutes
reading/30 minutes listening) and do 1, 1 hour Skype call per week. Do you think 1 conversation per week will be
enough to continue to increase my productive abilities? Thank you in advance for any ideas or advice. Take care,
all.

Cody

P.S. This plan is for Spanish only, and is separate from my Mandarin studies.

Obviously everyone's different, but I noticed a dramatic difference in my progress and overall comfort level when
I had to switch from 5+ Skype calls a week down to one. For me, after a bit of experimentation, twice a week is
the absolute minimum if I want to keep progressing and speak confidently. It doesn't have to take any longer in
terms of overall time - 2 half-hour sessions are better than one full-hour session. The ideal number for me - in
terms of both progress and time management - is three times a week, although it can be hard to make that work
every single week.

When time is limited, I think that paid tutors work better than language partners. It's much more time efficient,
since you only speak your target language (no switching back and forth). It's also easier to fit into your schedule,
since you can pick a tutor whose schedule matches yours as opposed to emailing back and forth with language
partners. I don't take any formal lessons - just pay for 30-60 minutes of informal conversation. Informal
tutoring through italki can be surprisingly inexpensive. I pay as little as 5 dollars per hour.

(Please note: I still think that language partners are an amazing resource. It's just that in a time crunch, tutors
might be easier to fit into your schedule.)
3 persons have voted this message useful

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5042 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 

Message 6 of 11
28 January 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
Thank you very much for the responses, I really appreciate your time. Well then, I guess I'll rephrase my question: for those of you have studied language in a minimal way, what techniques did you use to keep making progress without having it become an all consuming hobby? I love my language studies, but like I said, I would like to to other things when I graduate, and the ten+ hours per week I put into each language right now is a bit much.

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4144 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 7 of 11
28 January 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
I don't know about skype, but assimil is about 30 min a day or so. And as many native material you can use (movies, tv, books, magazines etc) on your spare time. Using your ipod while being on the train, jogging and all that. Maybe a cd course for listening to while driving.

You get the point. It depends on how many languages you want to learn. If it's one at a time, you can definitely do it in a minimal way, as long as you do it every day (or so).

Edited by renaissancemedi on 28 January 2014 at 4:32pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Fuenf_Katzen
Diglot
United States
notjustajd.wordpress
Joined 4155 days ago

337 posts - 476 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Polish, Ukrainian, Afrikaans

Message 8 of 11
28 January 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
My German has never been extremely "active." It wasn't until recently that there were people with whom I only spoke German, and even then, it's not that typical of an occurrence. For me I found that a lot of listening and reading helps keep my speaking abilities where they are, even if it's only once per month that I end up speaking. I suppose it depends on how comfortable you are with Spanish right now: if you're fairly confident in being able to understand what you hear and read, you should be able to maintain your current level with once per week. If you're still unsure though, maybe it's not time to reduce that just yet.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version