MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5038 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 9 of 11
29 January 2014 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Thank you all for the insightful and informative answers. I guess the big takeaway is that I just need to toughen up and stay with 3ish Skype calls per week so that I can continue to improve. As always, everyone was extremely helpful. Thanks again.
1 person has voted this message useful

RedBeard
United States
atariage.com
Joined 5884 days ago

126 posts - 182 votes 
Speaks: Ancient Greek*
Studies: French, German

Message 10 of 11
02 February 2014 at 7:27pm | IP Logged 
When I read the title of the post, I thought that it meant:

What level of speaking ability should I have before considering 'skyping' with others as part of my language studies?

If you don't mind, can I broaden the topic to include this question? For those of us who haven't 'skyped' for language purposes (I've used it for general communication with relatives), what shoud we do/know/expect? Is it better/easier if we find someone from this website, perhaps?

:wq!
3 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3955 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 11 of 11
03 February 2014 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
I think you can start having conversations from a very low level. In fact, Benny Lewis has a video of him Skyping in Polish after an hour of study. You might need a bit of preparation in advance and a dictionary on standby, but it's surprising how long a relatively low-level person can speak for if it's set up in the right way.

Here's Benny's video

Obviously, the lower the level, the more difficult it's going to be for your partner. Personally, I'd be more comfortable talking to someone I was paying if it's a very low level, because I know how much effort it is to listen to someone when they first start a language. But we're talking about A1 level here.

Edited by I'm With Stupid on 03 February 2014 at 12:13pm

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version