Jeffers wrote:
Stelle wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
[QUOTE=RedBeard] English children's
books try to tell
a story with as small a vocabulary as
possible, in order to encourage a child to read. But I have noticed that Hindi
children's books often use unusual
vocabulary for common words. The focus is on expanding the child's vocabulary in these
books.

I have to disagree with this! While there are simple graded readers aimed at teaching
children to read, true picture
books have only one goal: to tell a good story. The vocabulary and storyline of picture
books are very often much
more complex than novels for beginners.

English language children's books are generally compelling precisely because they aim
to tell a good story with as small a vocabulary as possible. From what I understand,
this trend was started by Dr Seuss (Theodore Geisel), who wrote the Cat in the Hat with
a total vocabulary of 236 words, although he had set himself the goal of doing it in
225 words.     

The storyline may be more complex than beginners' novels (which are generally boring),
but complex vocabulary is rare in my experience.

Dr Seuss famously did even better on a bet. His publisher bet him that he couldn't
produce an entertaining book using only 50 different words. The result was Green Eggs
and Ham. wikipedia link

A children's book can be very complex. A fairy tale, for example, might contain a lot
of old words and constructions, rhymes, diminutives and so on.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4704 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 10 of 11
06 February 2014 at 8:26am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
Stelle wrote:
Jeffers wrote:
[QUOTE=RedBeard] English children's
books try to tell
a story with as small a vocabulary as
possible, in order to encourage a child to read. But I have noticed that Hindi
children's books often use unusual
vocabulary for common words. The focus is on expanding the child's vocabulary in these
books.

I have to disagree with this! While there are simple graded readers aimed at teaching
children to read, true picture
books have only one goal: to tell a good story. The vocabulary and storyline of picture
books are very often much
more complex than novels for beginners.

English language children's books are generally compelling precisely because they aim
to tell a good story with as small a vocabulary as possible. From what I understand,
this trend was started by Dr Seuss (Theodore Geisel), who wrote the Cat in the Hat with
a total vocabulary of 236 words, although he had set himself the goal of doing it in
225 words.     

The storyline may be more complex than beginners' novels (which are generally boring),
but complex vocabulary is rare in my experience.

Dr Seuss famously did even better on a bet. His publisher bet him that he couldn't
produce an entertaining book using only 50 different words. The result was Green Eggs
and Ham. wikipedia link

A children's book can be very complex. A fairy tale, for example, might contain a lot
of old words and constructions, rhymes, diminutives and so on.

I wouldn't say that a fairy tale is the same thing as a children's book. It's a bit like cats and dogs, they're both mammals, but that doesn't make a cat a dog. But I think the point we can draw from this discussion is that the picture is complicated. If the OP wants to use children's books to study English, then he has quite a range to choose from. He could use simple readers which build vocabulary slowly from book to book, or he could find stories which are fun and interesing. I suspect the same range might not be available in Russian.
1 person has voted this message useful

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4597 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 11 of 11
10 February 2014 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
A fairy tale, aimed at pre-school to early school aged children can be surprisingly
difficult for even an adult learner and I'd warn people away from them towards
something describing more everyday situations.

Fairy tales have a very specific vocabulary that needs its own preparation if you're
otherwise learning a language in an adult survival context.
Cinderella: servant,chores/housework, to sweep, dwarves, poison, carriage, glass
slipper
Sleeping Beauty: spindle/spinning wheel, to spin, to prick, needle, thorns, rose bush,
prince
Hansel and Gretel: breadcrumbs,woodcutter,axe, Gingerbread House etc

I learned this when, moving out to China, I bought a couple of pre-school cardboard
books for myself (with Pin-Yin as well as Hanzi) as native language material. The first
book started off talking about a Phoenix (fènghuáng 凤凰) who was friends with all
types of mythical animals...How often does phoenix come up in daily conversation?!

[cough] On visiting the local museum with a Chinese teacher of English a month later,
we were looking at an old pot and she she explains that the creature on top was a
fènghuáng but she couldn't remember what it was called in English...

Go instead for kids' books on a theme you're learning about- like food, going to
school, transport etc and you'll find it more relevant and generally easier. It doesn't
matter if an animal is doing the activity, but consider the environment and purpose of
the characters to see if it fits with what you're learning.

Edited by yantai_scot on 10 February 2014 at 3:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 11 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version