Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 9 of 12
29 January 2014 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
So, is there going to start a new super challenge in May?

The way I work with French, I read 20 pages a day Mon-Fr.I can't take more than that
due to other learning activities, and it's ok, actually it's a bit tiresome sometimes
because it is one of my longest daily activities. Considering a month of 22 workdays
(well, holidays also count, I only really exclude saturday and sunday), I'd read 440
pages a month and thus 8800 pages in 20 months. Considering that 100 pages account for
a book at Super Challenge rules, I'd read 88 books in the Super Challenge time. I don't
really think I can take more than that for one language without jepardizing my other
activities. Ah, I also do 10 pages a day with German. All in all, reading is important
but, right now, I wouldn't take, for example, 10 minutes of listening to Norwegian so
that I'd read in a third language. I don't know what will happen the day I start
reading in all of my languages. Suppose I'll have 10 pages x 8 languages a day. That
can be really mind-boggling. I'd like to hear on experienced super-challengers on this.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 10 of 12
29 January 2014 at 7:43pm | IP Logged 
There's a discussion here about the new challenge. Also, you can do LR. If it's in the same language, you have to choose which part you count. But if it's in two different L2's, both count.

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4684 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 11 of 12
29 January 2014 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
Expugnator wrote:
The way I work with French, I read 20 pages a day Mon-Fr.I can't
take more than that due to other learning activities, and it's ok ... Considering that
100 pages account for a book at Super Challenge rules, I'd read 88 books in the Super
Challenge time. I don't really think I can take more than that for one language without
jeopardizing my other

That's an impressive pace.

I'd think you could do the SC by working in easier books (although I'm not sure what
you're currently reading); you'd get a higher page count in the same amount of time.
For French, I found that I could read hundreds of pages of a Boris Vian novel, or a
Fred Vargas mystery, in a fraction of the time than for other books.

I still don't know how to balance multiple languages, though. It's one thing I'll need
to learn myself: I want to maintain my French and keep reading regularly, but bring my
Spanish up via a full challenge.

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 12 of 12
29 January 2014 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
I have given it some thought and I agree that switching between more difficult and easier books could help. Or choosing books with less dense text to balance out those with really dense text. Some people solve the difference with counting words, which I find too complicated. Really, some books have pages worth twice the count and it's no good to choose only those and therefore be too hard on yourself.

How to balance multiple languages... Quite same way as you usually balance them, I guess. Only you know your way. I am taking this path: Only two languages for SC at once and no 2x 200/200 madness anymore. And I can keep reading in other languages as well even though much much less and I prefer other activities during the time. Bad luck I hadn't found the way earlier, I could have gotten over 100 book units for each language, I believe. The SC is not a way to maintain a language for me (while casual reading is). It is a way to progress under pressure.

And you might find the link Serpent gave you interesting. Handling "partial challenges" is currently being discussed. It is likely we could get stars, one for a certain amount of book units or movies, and aim for number of stars.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version