Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
85 messages over 11 pages: 1 24 5 6 7 ... 3 ... 10 11 Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 17 of 85
31 January 2014 at 2:38am | IP Logged 
I am currently reading "El princhipiko" (The Little Prince) in Ladino, both in Latin and Rashi script. Having the parallel text is a big help. I could learn this language without Rashi or Solitreo )Ladino cursive handwriting), definitely quicker, but I would be cheating myself out of 500 years of Ladino writing. Also, that would make this project just another variation on a common theme- like learning Catalan or Galician- which I may do someday (What am I thinking!).

Ladino was never standardized throughout its long history. The language started to be written in the Latin alphabet about the middle of the 19th century with several different orthographies. The rise of Kemal Ataturk in postwar Turkey pretty much ended Rashi and Solitreo use. Ladino is still written in two different orthographies but the Aki Yerushalayim grafiya is the standard in Israel and the Ladinokomuinta forum.

Rashi script is fun to read. I feel like a little kindergartner again learning to read! When I get confused and have to check the parallel text, it is so easy to lose my place. I expect that will get better with time as I finish the book.

Speaking of which, I have just ordered A Jewish Voice from Ottoman Salonica: The Ladino Memoir of Sa'adi Besalel a-Levi which will be a really cool addition to my multi-track materials and should help me to better understand the culture of the people. The book is bilingual English/Ladino and the companion website has the original scanned Solitreo handwriting available.

Stanford University wrote:
...This book presents for the first time the complete text of the earliest known Ladino-language memoir, transliterated from the original script, translated into English, and introduced and explicated by the editors. The memoirist, Sa'adi Besalel a-Levi (1820–1903), wrote about Ottoman Jews' daily life at a time when the finely wrought fabric of Ottoman society was just beginning to unravel. His vivid portrayal of life in Salonica, a major port in the Ottoman Levant with a majority Jewish population, thus provides a unique window into a way of life before it disappeared as a result of profound political and social changes and the World Wars....

...(This) memoir was written in soletreo, the Ladino handwritten, cursive form. Especially for English speakers who may not have access to French or Hebrew dictionaries, there is a woeful shortage of professional Ladino-language learning tools, and the acquisition of reading fluency in soletreo is particularly difficult to pursue. It is our hope that this website, in tandem with numerical cross-references to the Romanized Ladino transliteration and the English-language translation that appear in A Jewish Voice from Ottoman Salonica, will help fill this lacuna. ...

You've got to love academics- "lacuna"! Ha! I wouldn't have known this word without having learned it in Portuguese- "a blank" in more everyday English.

So, with the help of a great website LadinoType and this bilingual memoir, I hope to also be able to read, if not write, Solitreo. Vamos ver!

Edited by iguanamon on 31 January 2014 at 3:10am

1 person has voted this message useful

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5843 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 18 of 85
31 January 2014 at 3:04am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
A veces, creo que estoy demasiado atascado en los idiomas de la península :). Tal vez, el aprendizaje del ladino y su alfabeto hebreo, con algunas palabras turcos, hebreos y árabes, pueda estimularme a aprender un idioma verdaderamente diferente. Pero me gusta tanto las culturas ibéricas y latina-americanas.

Hay peores sitios para atascarse.

As far as languages are concerned, apart from the half dozen obvious ones (which include Basque, one of the most fascinating languages in the world), this peninsula has also other untapped treasures, like the Andalusi dialect of Arabic or the still-surviving dialects from vanished Iberian kingdoms (Asturo-Leonese languages, anyone?). "Your" Ladino is just one pearl in the necklace.
2 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4470 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 19 of 85
31 January 2014 at 3:47am | IP Logged 
I think a lot of us at HTLAL get sucked into one particular area or another in our language pursuits. One could
accuse me of having a focus that could be defined as narrowly as, e.g., languages of Jews in the Benelux (Dutch,
French, German, Hebrew, Yiddish). Now I'm breaking out of that shell and leaping into Russian. Maybe it's not
THAT big a leap...perhaps someday you'll also take a giant leap away from Iberia and take up Occitan?

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm now informed that Occitan technically qualifies as a language of Iberia. Pretend I said
(Franco-?)Provençal.

Edited by geoffw on 31 January 2014 at 3:58am

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5348 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 20 of 85
31 January 2014 at 9:03am | IP Logged 
Pues, después de haber leído eso creo que no voy a intentar aprender el portugués.. solamente por el temor de
ponerme tan confundido que deshaga todo lo que he aprendido y acabe hablando una especie de lengua mezclada
la que nadie puede entender.

¿A quién no le guste? Son unas zonas tan ricas de historia, culturas y lenguas que uno podría pasar toda su vida
sumergiéndose en todo lo que tienen para ofrecer. Así que te lo entiendo por completo. ¿Has pensado nunca en
aprender el quechua o el aymara entonces? Esos sí me interesan.

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5190 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 21 of 85
31 January 2014 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
Radio Sefarad has a weekly program in Ladino, the last 200 being available (by the way, they also have one in Yiddish I knew nothing about) :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5044 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 22 of 85
31 January 2014 at 1:26pm | IP Logged 
Mersi muncho, akkadboy! This is great! I can download the programs in mp3, too. I listen to the weekly Emisión en sefardí de Radio Nacional de España and Kol Israel Ladino has a 15 minute newscast. The RNE program is downloadable but for the life of me I can't figure out how to download the Kol Israel broadcast. My flash grabber won't work. Going to page source is no help in finding the swf file.

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5190 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 23 of 85
31 January 2014 at 2:06pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
[...] but for the life of me I can't figure out how to download the Kol Israel broadcast. My flash grabber won't work. Going to page source is no help in finding the swf file.

I have exactly the same problem with the Yiddish broadcast (and was secretly hoping that you would find a way :-))

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 24 of 85
31 January 2014 at 10:21pm | IP Logged 
I've just taken the time to browse through this log, iguanamon ! Good luck at your newest
project. You do seem to have an empathy with everything Iberian. You brought some
interesting information, thanks.

This discussion contains 85 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version