Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 6358 days ago

88 posts - 109 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French
Studies: Turkish

Message 57 of 85
15 June 2014 at 1:55pm | IP Logged 
Hey Iguanamon, firstly thanks very much for opening this thread and listing resources for
this obscure language...I have also been interested in learning some Ladino, though perhaps
further down the line once my Turkish is better as that's my main priority for now. As a
French, Spanish and Turkish speaker, Ladino looks like Turkified Spanish to me, really
bizarre, but it draws my curiosity further :)

So how is your progress??

It'll be very simple for you now, but I've started a basic Ladino course on Memrise. For
those looking for an introduction to the language, this isn't a bad taster :)

1 person has voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 58 of 85
15 June 2014 at 3:07pm | IP Logged 
You're welcome, dizzycloud. Though I haven't updated in a while, I'm still maintaining Ladino at a slow pace. I read the "ladinokomunita" forum a couple of times a week and listen to the Kol Israel broadcast most days.

I plan to get more back into formal study in a few weeks. Life sometimes gets in the way of our plans. The good thing about Ladino is that it's a variation on a theme I know well. There's no pressure and, sadly, no one with whom to speak on the island where I live. I've been going through the stories of Djoha. They're short, about three letter size pages on average, but have loads of vocabulary and they're a great window into a bygone era of Ottoman Jewish life.

It's nice to have a language where there's no pressure and it's just for fun. What a shame that there are few translations of modern literature available and even fewer modern works of literature available. I still find it amazing that I can read a Hebrew script (Rashi) and come out with 15th century Spanish (and Turkish, Arabic, French, Greek, etc.)!

Edited by iguanamon on 16 October 2014 at 2:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5168 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 59 of 85
10 July 2014 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
Hello Iguanamon,

One of the last issues of the Yidisher tamtam mentioned Kaminando i avlando. Mostly in French but still lots of articles in Ladino from what I saw. The link points only to the "new series" issues but older ones can be found elsewhere online.

I also read about a monthly published by Şalom, something like Almanaser, but can't find anything, though I admit, I only did a quick search.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 60 of 85
10 July 2014 at 6:22pm | IP Logged 
Mersi muncho, akkadboy. I didn't know about "Kaminando i avlando. This is great! I can't wait to start going through and reading the back issues! :)))

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5168 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 

Message 61 of 85
11 July 2014 at 10:00am | IP Logged 
:-)

I just found that issues 1 to 84 (March 2005-Februar 2012) of the monthly El Amaneser are available online here.

The Ladino community seems to be very active. This monthly supplement has around 4,000 subscribers. Last year the Forverts, the only newspaper in Yiddish outside of the ultra-orthodox world, shifted from a weekly publication to being published twice a month because they only sold around 2,000 copies (and this figure is shrinking).

Hard to compare things and, sure, one newspaper is not the whole story of how Yiddish is faring but still, I can't help wondering why some people emphasize that a Yiddish "revival" is taking place...

Edited by akkadboy on 11 July 2014 at 10:04am

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5168 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 

Message 62 of 85
16 October 2014 at 11:12am | IP Logged 
Hi iguanamon,

The National Library of Israel has put online two Ladino newspapers, El Progresso/La Boz del Pueblo/La Époka de Nu York (1915-1920) and La Amérika (1910-1925).

%D7%95Ladino newspapers at the NLI

I hope you'll enjoy this material as much as I enjoy reading through Yiddish newspapers!

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 63 of 85
16 October 2014 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
Mersi muncho, akkadboy! I will be looking at these later today. What a great window on the past to have. I'm quite looking forward to reading these- something everyday secular in Rashi :).

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 64 of 85
16 October 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
I just found out, via @SarahAroeste on twitter about a new translation of Alice in Wonderland Las Aventuras de Alisia en el Paiz de las Maraviyas by Avner Perez. Wow! With early 20th century newspapers in Rashi script to read and now this, it looks like I will be having a lot of fun with Ladino.

To all, I just can't keep up with writing a log. Maybe I might consolidate everything in one place like other members do. Still, I want this log to be a reference for anyone who may wish to start to learn Ladino in the future, you never know, someone might.

Just bought the book at Amazon.

Edited by iguanamon on 16 October 2014 at 2:39pm

This discussion contains 85 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 79 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version