Language Learning Forum : Language Learning Log Post Reply
85 messages over 11 pages: << Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 11
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 81 of 85
29 December 2014 at 2:26am | IP Logged 
Thanks to Alisia en el paiz de las maraviyas, I came across the word "pishin" today. It is a variant spelling of "pichin" from the quote two posts back. It can also be spelled "peshin" and it means "immediately, at once, rapidly". I have no idea about its etymology. As has been said before, if it's important enough, a word will come up again somewhere else.

Alisia en el paiz de las maraviyas wrote:
Kapitulo 3: Muy pishin vos are sekos a todos!

Lewis Carroll wrote:
I'll soon make you dry enough!

I also came up on the word "brusali" by looking at the Turkish root "burs" meaning "scholarship" - "brusali"= I'm guessing is the adjective "scholarly"

Edmond Cohen wrote:
...Un alhad una balabaya kodja boy, bivda de un haham brusali, henoza en su fostan mavi, asentada sovre un minder a la köche de su salon, resive su musafir, un kasap un poko kazikchi, ama de buen kiyafet, ke entrando belledea pichin kuti de teneke, al lado del mangal, para la sedaka, i ke mete dos groshes.

Mi traduksion al inglez:

"One Sunday a very tall housewife, widow of a scholarly rabbi, graceful in her blue dress, seated on a cushion on the living room sofa, receives her guest, a butcher who was a little skinny, but well dressed, who on entering (noticed) immediately the collection box, on the side of the (grill?), for charity, and put in two coins."

So that leaves two words "belledea" and "mangal". "Belledea" most likely means "notice, glimpse, become aware of". That leaves "mangal". The Turkishdictionary.net says: "mangal brazier (used as a heater); mangal kömürü = charcoal". Bab.la says "barbecue; brazier". So I'm assuming a grill of some kind. I am less sure about these two words, but I think I am close.

Reading "Alisia" I am reminded what a great writer Lewis Carroll was and what a good translator Avner Perez is.

Avner Perez Alisia wrote:
"Avla en ladino!", disho la Agilika. "No entiendo ni la mitad de estas palavras tan largas, i mas de esto, no kreo ke tu tampoko las entiendes!" I la Agilika aboko su kavesa eskondiendo una sonrisa. Algunos de los otros pasharos sonrieron en una boz sentida.
"Lo ke yo iva dezir," disho el Dodo en tono ofendido, es ke el mejor modo para sekarmos seria una Korrida Loka.
"Ke es una Korrida Loka?" pregunto Alisia, no tanto porke dezeava saverlo, sino porke el Dodo izo una pauza komo si esperava ke alguno va dezir algo i ninguno no paresia dispuesto a azerlo.
"Bueno," disho el Dodo, la mejor manera de esplikarlo es azerlo." (I komo puede ser ke alguno de vozotros le plaze azer tambien una Korrida Loka algun dia de invierno vo a kontarvos komo la organizo el Dodo.)

Lewis Carroll wrote:
'Speak English!' said the Eaglet. 'I don't know the meaning of half those long words, and, what's more, I don't believe you do either!' And the Eaglet bent down its head to hide a smile; some of the other birds tittered audibly.
'What I was going to say,' said the Dodo in an offended tone, 'was, that the best thing to get us dry would be a Caucus-race.'
'What IS a Caucus-race?' said Alice; not that she wanted much to know, but the Dodo had paused as if it thought that SOMEBODY ought to speak, and no one else seemed inclined to say anything.
'Why,' said the Dodo, 'the best way to explain it is to do it.' (And, as you might like to try the thing yourself, some winter day, I will tell you how the Dodo managed it.)

So far, Alisia is very easy. I should get through this quite quickly and then I'll move on to finish the 19th century narrative of Salonika "A Jewish Voice from Ottoman Salonika". This text has a lot more Turkish and Hebrew words and will certainly be more challenging.

Un abraso muy fuerte a todos i augurios sinseros para el anyo muevo! Anyada buena 2015!

Edited by iguanamon on 31 December 2014 at 1:49am

1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 82 of 85
29 December 2014 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
Other tendencies in djudeo-espanyol are to change "rd" for "dr" in words like "tadre" for "tarde" and "vedra" for "verdad"

IDK if you already know, but that's something that Spanish had done a lot to Latin, like in preguntar, originally from percontari (interestingly, at least according to wiktionary it was also preguntar in Old Portuguese :)). I used to hate this feature fiercely but I've grown to appreciate it.

Mangal also exists in Russian as a loan from some Turkic language. It means a grill/barbecue too :)
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 83 of 85
29 December 2014 at 12:10pm | IP Logged 
Mersi muncho por la ayuda, Serpent. It's nice to confirm mangal.

I'd like to share a video of Caroline Kessel reading the Djoha tale Misterio de Pesah at International Ladino Day 2013 in Seattle (4th post on previous page). The story is the same but like most folk tales changed up a little.

Immediately following the Djoha story are some funny refranes read by a lady named Leila Bravanel, with English translation.

Edited by iguanamon on 20 January 2015 at 9:48pm

Luso
Hexaglot
Portugal
Joined 5821 days ago

819 posts - 1812 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, French, EnglishC2, GermanB1, Italian, Spanish
Studies: Sanskrit, Arabic (classical)

Message 84 of 85
27 January 2015 at 3:35am | IP Logged 
Dear iguanamon, I was at the Faculdade de Letras today and saw this:

Project

Conference

Exhibit

There's more beauty in the site. Enjoy.

By the way, the exhibit only ends May 15th. Tempting, no? ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5022 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 85 of 85
27 January 2015 at 12:07pm | IP Logged 
Valeu, Luso. You are so lucky to live in such a beautiful, cosmopolitan city full of culture. Books were not just a means to convey information in those time but were works of art and the Hebrew alphabet lends itself well to illumination. To the Sephardim of that time, Rashi was utilitarian and Hebrew was reserved for the sacred. The art strikes me as almost Islamic, which isn't surprising given Iberian history.

Looks like a fascinating exposition. Tantas saudades de Lisboa!

This discussion contains 85 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version