United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 8
29 January 2014 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
There was a special convention for writing foreign words in hieroglyphs. This was slightly different from regular hieroglyphic spelling, because it used a couple of rare signs to represent foreign sounds.

If you have Flash, you might enjoy this tutorial on writing foreign words in hieroglyphs. You can find hieroglyphic versions of Cleopatra's several official names on Wikipedia. And yes, this particular rendering of her name looks fairly close to what I've seen before.

Interestingly, according to Plutarch, Cleopatra was supposedly a pretty capable polyglot:

Quote:
It was a pleasure merely to hear the sound of her voice, with which, like an instrument of many strings, she could pass from one language to another; so that there were few of the barbarian nations that she answered by an interpreter; to most of them she spoke herself, as to the Ethiopians, Troglodytes, Hebrews, Arabians, Syrians, Medes, Parthians, and many others, whose language she had learnt; which was all the more surprising because most of the kings, her predecessors, scarcely gave themselves the trouble to acquire the Egyptian tongue, and several of them quite abandoned the Macedonian.

Personally, I know better than to trust second-hand stories about polyglots—and I know enough to distrust Plutarch on any subject—but it's still a pretty cool story.

Edited by emk on 29 January 2014 at 3:37am

1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5408 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 3 of 8
29 January 2014 at 8:04am | IP Logged 
Oh great, she learnt the language of the "Cave dwellers (litterally "divers" (οἱ τρωγλοδύται)! Herodot writes that the language ressembles no other one and τετρίγασι κατά περ αἱ νυκτερίδες, they squeak like bats in it.
I wonder if he describes a tonal language here?!

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4342 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 4 of 8
29 January 2014 at 10:08am | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Oh great, she learnt the language of the "Cave dwellers (litterally "divers" (οἱ τρωγλοδύται)! Herodot writes that the language ressembles no other one and τετρίγασι κατά περ αἱ νυκτερίδες, they squeak like bats in it.
I wonder if he describes a tonal language here?!

I have no idea, but couldn't it be one of the African click languages?

Edited by patrickwilken on 29 January 2014 at 10:30am

akkadboy
Triglot
France
Joined 5217 days ago

264 posts - 497 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Yiddish
Studies: Latin, Ancient Egyptian, Welsh

Message 5 of 8
29 January 2014 at 10:19am | IP Logged 
mitsos wrote:
Is this rendering of the name correct? Other variants?

You can have a look here, at Lepsius' Denkmäler, volume IX. Check plate 62e, 64a or 65a for instance.

Stolan
United States
Joined 3841 days ago

274 posts - 368 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Thai, Lowland Scots
Studies: Arabic (classical), Cantonese

Message 6 of 8
29 January 2014 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:
Interestingly, according to Plutarch,
Cleopatra was supposedly a pretty capable polyglot:

Personally, I know better than to trust second-hand stories about polyglots—and I know enough to distrust
Plutarch on any subject—but it's still a pretty cool story.

Is there a more accurate account of Cleopatras linguistic skills?

Edited by Stolan on 29 January 2014 at 3:23pm

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 8 of 8
30 January 2014 at 12:41pm | IP Logged 
mitsos wrote:
akkadboy wrote:
You can have a look here, at Lepsius' Denkmäler, volume IX. Check plate 62e, 64a or 65a for instance.

Where can one find more extensive lesson on Egyptian Hieroglyphics?

If you're comfortable reading English, I strongly recommend Allen's Middle Egyptian: An Introduction to the Language and Culture of Hieroglyphs. This is a traditional-style language course, not an Assimil-style course, but it's exceptionally well-organized, at it will actually teach you the language. If you just want to translate a couple of formulaic tomb inscriptions, How to Read Egyptian Hieroglyphs: A Step-by-Step Guide to Teach Yourself, Revised Edition is OK, but it lacks both the extensive example texts and detailed explanations of Allen's book.

For lots more resources, see the first post in the Egyptian team thread.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version