Triglot
France
Joined 4304 days ago

36 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: French*, EnglishC1, Italian

Message 1 of 2
30 January 2014 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
Hi !

I'm just curious. I've been watching a lot of American TV shows and movies in Russian language, and listened to some audiobooks and I wonder why subtitles are almost parallel but never.

Sometimes I find subtitles that of course are totally different. But I also find subtitles that are 99% exact and I wonder why they are not 100 % right. I'll have each exact word of what's being said, but once in a while, in a different order, or sometimes a different word. But I insist, 99% of the subtitles are exact.

I found the exact same thing with audiobooks. And I don't understand why...people just have to read the text. It would be a big surprise for me to find out there are different versions of the book, in which only a few words are different. Though sometimes I find audio versions that are really different from the book I have. I mean, same meaning but totally different sentences.

I'm asking because I wanted to practice listening and reading but I never find a 100% parallel text. Of course there are other resources, but what I like the most are TV shows and movies.

Thanks in advance.
1 person has voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4173 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 2 of 2
05 February 2014 at 12:58pm | IP Logged 
In movies i guess it is because it would be too long to read along if they wrote exactly what is being said
,especially in very rapid speech , keep in mind also that most of the times subtitles have been designed for
deaf people . As for audiobooks ,i have never experienced such a thing . I have come across versions of
audiobooks that were not unabridged though , they read the text , but some passages were skipped . I
think that it is not available for every audiobook the unabridged version , especially for the really long
ones . As for russian you should be able to find 100 percent parallel texts on both lingq.com and
echomoskvi , on the latter i am not entirely sure though .
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version