Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 1 of 4
30 January 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
Goldlist features, which I'd like to somehow replicate in Anki if possible:

review vocubulary in batches of 25
read through entire list before choosing 1/3 as best known
rewrite distilled list, speaking the words, contemplate their meaning
2 week to 2 month (or greater) delay between repititions

So, for the last 6 weeks or so, I have been learning Dutch vocab with a downloaded deck of 6000+ words. I haven't done any reviews yet, as I haven't quite worked out what exactly I plan to do, but the two month deadline is approaching. There are a few difficulties with applying it to Anki.

There's no neat way of "sneak previewing" the 25 cards altogether and then making an overall decision about the 7 best know. It would be possible to look in the browser, but it's not really that user friendly, and i don't want to overcomplicate the procedure any more than necessary. So in practice, each card will have to be judged individually - known or unknown, hard or easy. One possibly half solution would be to fail all the cards, so that I have the chance to reveiew them all 2 or 3 times.

The "fail new interval" can be set to 100% (or minimum to 2 months) in the options so that subsequent reviews will still be set at 2 month intervals.

I could delete or suspend the cards I decide are known, but it seems more logical to take advantage of Anki's normal operation and simply give them a very large interval with the easy button. (One thing that always made me a bit sad with the goldlist, was having to eliminate known words)

Next problem. Limiting reviews to 25 itemsat a time. If the maths works out exactly like the goldlist, I should end up doing 50 reviews a day in addition to the 25 new words, but I vaguely suspect I will end up doing more, probably up to 100. I think the limitation to batches of 25 is important, so I could set the normal limit for reviews at 25, and then when I wanted to do a second list, increase it to 50, then 75 and so on. I could alternatively use the feuture to review ahead, but I find both options bit untidy.

One solution would be to divide up the main deck into 3 (or possibly 4 or 5) subdecks. That is, once I start reviewing, I will sweep up all the unseen cards into a new deck, so I shall be reviewing 25 in the first deck, while the 25 new cards are being learned in the 2nd deck. Then in another 2 months time, it will be time to start reviewing the 2nd deck, so the then unseen cards get transferred to a 3rd, and I will be reviewing batches of 25 in the first two decks, and learning 25 in the 3rd.

Now at this stage, I will just be Ankiing as normal. That means the various distillations will all get slightly muddled up, but starting a new deck ever two months or say should ensure that cards are of roughly the same maturity. It is also less demoralising dealing with smaller decks.

The alternative would be to try to sweep up all the reviewed cards into separate decks for each distallation. Basically, instead of sweeping the unseen cards into a new deck, the backlog of cards for review after 2 months will be swept into a new deck, and then treated as new cards in that deck. This would keep all the individual distillations together. It suspect will also be a bit more work, as I wiil have to sweep the review cards every two months. [so in the first scenarion, I could decide (or work out) how many decks I needed and divide them up, and Anki away virtually as normal. In the second, the review cards get swept up and cascade down the sub decks every two months. I think]

Sorry about the long rambling post. I am trying to think out exactly how to do it. Hopefully it will actually turn out to be easier than it sounds. Normally I am a kinisthetic/ trial-and-error person, but this will probably get messy if it's not properly worked out.

Thanks in advance for any practical insights

Edited by schoenewaelder on 30 January 2014 at 7:26pm

1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5355 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 2 of 4
30 January 2014 at 7:24pm | IP Logged 
Or, just to present a simpler scenario. Basically Anki away as normal, except with a 2 month recall intervall, and aim for a success rate of 30%. Accept that each review will effectively be "relearning" rather than "reviewing"

(Instead of the typical Anki strategy, of reviewing next day, and a success rate of 95%)

[edit So I think for this to work, the new cards and reviews (or distillations) have to be kept separate if possible. So 25 cards a day for two months would be 1500 cards, so that would be the max deck size possible. In my original scenario, I should divide my main deck of 6000 into four sub decks.]

Edited by schoenewaelder on 30 January 2014 at 7:42pm

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7033 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 3 of 4
31 January 2014 at 1:39am | IP Logged 
Yeah, I thought about this too, and it would be such a hassle that it's just easier to
use a physical notebook. Plus I find that writing out the words keeps me from glossing
over the spelling. But now you've got me wondering if I could write such a flashcard
program...

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5355 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French

Message 4 of 4
31 January 2014 at 6:27pm | IP Logged 
ElComadreja wrote:
Plus I find that writing out the words keeps me from glossing over the spelling. But now you've got me wondering if I could write such a flashcard program...

I think what I am going to miss is not the actual writing, but the calm focusedness (or possibly focussed calmness) I get when I do the lists by hand. But I suspect you might become a very popular person (in admittedly fairly small circles) if you did come up with something.

Actually, I've probably gone and overcomplicated the whole thing. I was thinking that it was all going to get messy, because I would have to build up a backlog while waiting the two months, and then the new cards and the reviews would get mixed up, but I've realised that as long as I set the initial interval to 2 months, and do the reviews roughly as they fall due, then I can just use the "hard" button to keep what I want in the 2 - 3 months range. I wont be limiting myself to batches of 25, I'll have to do all the reviews for that day. In fact... I am already doing this with one of my other decks, but it's too early to say if how well or otherwise it's working. (Sorry you had to read it, but writing all that rubbish down did help to clear my thoughts a bit).

Edited by schoenewaelder on 31 January 2014 at 6:29pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version