AbuCS
Denmark
Joined 3760 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes

Message 1 of 10
30 January 2014 at 7:31pm | IP Logged 
I want to start learning MSA.
I want to ask if anyone has some material, movies, tv shows etc. in MSA
with good English subtitles. There is some on youtube, but i would like a variety and
just some more.

Anyone of you got some suggestions?
1 person has voted this message useful

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4524 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 2 of 10
30 January 2014 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
When I was looking for books for Arabic I found one for MSA called "Standard Arabic: An Elementary-Intermediate Course" that is amazing. The book is very comprehensive and well-structured, and I'm sure it's one of the best out there (or maybe the best) to learn MSA. It's a little expensive though, but I'm sure it's worth its price.
2 persons have voted this message useful

aspie.sharaf
Tetraglot
Denmark
Joined 4177 days ago

21 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Danish*, English, Serbo-Croatian, Dutch
Studies: Persian, German, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Thai, Polish, Bulgarian, Pashto, Urdu, French

Message 3 of 10
30 January 2014 at 8:31pm | IP Logged 
I use Assimil l'arabe. It is the best book that I have used out of many, since I started with MSA in 2008.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5129 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 4 of 10
30 January 2014 at 8:35pm | IP Logged 
fabriciocarraro wrote:
When I was looking for books for Arabic I found one for MSA called "Standard Arabic: An Elementary-Intermediate Course" that is amazing. The book is very comprehensive and well-structured, and I'm sure it's one of the best out there (or maybe the best) to learn MSA.

This book is great as a reference grammar, but, IMHO, it's not suitable for absolute beginners, because it was originally designed as a university textbook for classroom use.
For self-study I'd strongly recommend "Easy Arabic Grammar" by Jane Wightwick and Mahmoud Gaafar. It's cheap and contains just enough grammar to get started.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4524 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 5 of 10
31 January 2014 at 3:13am | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:

This book is great as a reference grammar, but, IMHO, it's not suitable for absolute beginners, because it was originally designed as a university textbook for classroom use.

Really? I didn't use it for long, because I was focusing on Egyptian Arabic, but I didn't think it was hard to follow at all, at least in the beginning.

I forgot about Assimil! It's indeed very very good, but I recommend learning the alphabet before starting with Assimil, that way you'll be able to get more of it.

Also, if you're in the beginning, you might wanna use Michel Thomas to get a grasp of the language. I went through the whole course and loved it! BUT it teaches you Egyptian Arabic, not MSA, so it might get you confused when you go to a MSA book, since some conjugations and word order change, as well as the lack of declensions in the dialect.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5028 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 6 of 10
31 January 2014 at 2:30pm | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
[QUOTE=fabriciocarraro]....

For self-study I'd strongly recommend "Easy Arabic Grammar" by Jane Wightwick and Mahmoud Gaafar. It's cheap and contains just enough grammar to get started.

and for the script try "Mastering Arabic Script" also known as "Easy Arabic Script" by the same pair. (They also made the Michel Thomas method for Egyptian Arabic).

Heriotza
Groupie
Dominican Republic
Joined 4489 days ago

48 posts - 71 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*

Message 7 of 10
31 January 2014 at 3:54pm | IP Logged 
I'd suggest you to use 'Alif Baa' to get started with the alphabet. It's the best book out there to learn not only the alphabet but to get a good grasp of the pronunciation of Arabic, since it includes a lot of audio-drill in that regard. For a begginer stage, apparently the best book is 'Arabic for Life'. I haven't used it myself, but it's the one I'm planning to start with when I decide to learn this language. Linguaphone Arabic and Assimil L'arabe are probably the most comprehensive MSA textbooks in the market, so should have a look at them too. As for reference grammar, 'Arabic grammar made easy' is said to be one of the best and easiest to follow.

aspie.sharaf
Tetraglot
Denmark
Joined 4177 days ago

21 posts - 39 votes
Speaks: Danish*, English, Serbo-Croatian, Dutch
Studies: Persian, German, Russian, Arabic (Written), Turkish, Thai, Polish, Bulgarian, Pashto, Urdu, French

Message 8 of 10
31 January 2014 at 5:00pm | IP Logged 
Don´t use 'Arabic for life' for selfstudy. I have tried that, it's not a good idea.
Start with 'Mastering arabic' and also 'Easy arabic grammar'
After completing 'Mastering arabic' you can start with 'Ultimate arabic' together with 'Mastering arabic 2'.
By that time you are more than ready for Assimil l'arabe.

If money is not a problem, then you could buy 'Rosetta stone MSA'. It´s good for Pronunciation Exercises, and it also gives a somewhat decent vocabulary. But Rosetta stone is only a supplement and should only be used for pronunciation and maybe vocabulary training it is unsuitable for anything else.

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version