United States
Joined 5326 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 9 of 17
03 February 2014 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
The Andrew Carnie article linked by akkadboy is excellent. It dates from 1995, so it's probably out of date, but here are a few quotes:

Quote:
This is given some support by my own personal experience as a visitor
to the gaeltachtaí. Despite the gaeltachtaí’s official status as Irish-speaking, one
is as likely to hear English spoken there as Irish (in public places at least). As
a theoretical linguist who uses native-speaker consultants, I am constantly
surprised at how few native speakers there are who can serve this role. The
language of commerce is without a doubt English, even between native speakers.
While in Dingle in County Kerry, which is on the border with the Corca
Dhuibhne gaeltacht, I was having a late-night snack in a fish-and-chip shop. An
elderly man entered and conversed with the woman behind the counter in Irish,
mainly passing the time of day. When his order was complete, the language of
the conversation switched to English for the purposes of the monetary exchange.
Once he had been given change, they resumed their conversation in Irish until
the gentleman left. I can honestly say that I was constantly surprised at how
little Irish was spoken between locals in the various gaeltacht areas, even when
they did not know I was listening.

Without a doubt, emigration from Irish-speaking regions has been and
continues to be a major problem for the revival movement and the survival of
the language. In the last century, as mentioned above in section 1, there was
widespread emigration from the rural Irish-speaking areas. This has continued to
this day. A visitor to the gaeltacht today will be surprised at how few young
(Baby Boomers or Generation X) people there are. There is a definite greying of
the gaeltacht. Most young people flee to the larger English-speaking cities of
Ireland or to North America and Australia. This is, without a doubt, due in turn
to the economic weakness of the gaeltachtaí.

Despite obvious good intentions, some remarkably bad policy
decisions have been made. Probably the biggest problem for the revival
movement has been in putting the burden on the educational system, rather than
in promoting the usefulness of the language in everyday life. Children were
expected to learn Irish in school, and this was supposed to revive the language.
Not only did this create widespread resentment towards the language, it is a
remarkably naïve view of language learning, as first noted by Slomanson
(1994).

Further, I
heard it spoken more frequently and regularly in the gaeltachtaí than I had the
year before. To give a concrete example, while sitting in a bar in the town of An
Spideal in the Conamara, I heard five youths aged between 18 and 25 talking in
Irish. This is especially surprising for two reasons. First was the age of the
participants: if there is any age group which is likely to conduct itself in
English, this is it. Second, An Spideal is a highly touristed town with a high
percentage of English speakers. The social pressure to speak English in a public
place like this bar is enormous. The fact that this conversation was happening
by this age group in this environment struck me as nothing less than
remarkable. Why did I notice this significant change in language usage in one
year’s time? I believe the solution lies in a national change in attitude.

Two factors come up repeatedly in this paper: popular attitudes towards the language, and whether the language is actually necessary for success in day-to-day life.

Now, here's what a successful language revival looks like, taken from an online forum discussion titled Work for non French speaking in Montreal:

Quote:
Most anglos I know in this city (myself included) are now bilingual, a radical transformation from the English-speaking community of 30 (even 15) years ago in Montreal. I'd hypothesize that anglophones really wised up, desirous to keep open as many doors for themselves and their kids as possible, especially after two consecutive Parti Quebecois govts and the 1995 referendum. In discussions with friends, it seems that numerous anglophones feel that French (and Quebecois slang) even has become a part of OUR identity, as we switch back & forth and think regularly in both languages. (Maybe we should be called franglophones?)

Of course, this is just one anglophone's view, being explained to anglophone immigrants. But you can see how economic and social forces are reversing the historic language shift towards English: Being a monolingual English-speaker means fierce competition for a limited number of jobs, and besides, all your friends regularly joke around in two languages. All of a sudden, being a monolingual English speaker starts to feel, well, backwards and unambitious.

Chung wrote:
In reference to my experience with Saamic languages (especially Northern Saami) one difference that I can see off the top of my head is that Northern Saami being an official language in some municipalities/counties in Fennoscandinavia means that citizens have the right to government services there only in Northern Saami (or in Finland's case even in Inari Saami or Skolt Saami). It sets up a limited but measurable need for people to be fluent in a Saamic language if the goal is to work in administration in the far north.

Yes, this is a very real thing in Canada, too. Because there are situations where French speakers have a right to French services, and where English speakers have a right to English services, it creates lots of jobs where speaking both languages is a major advantage. So anglophone parents quickly snatch up all the spaces available in French immersion schools, even outside of Quebec.

Language revival seems to work best when people see bilingualism as a practical economic and social asset. That might be something as simple as, "Hey, at least you can always get a government job speaking Saami and Finnish." As everybody at HTLAL knows, getting good at a language is a lot of work. The average person isn't going to maintain fluency in two languages without some kind of practical payoff, even if it's merely getting access to cool comic books.

Edited by emk on 03 February 2014 at 7:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 10 of 17
03 February 2014 at 7:06pm | IP Logged 
The only wrinkle with trying to strengthen a minority language's position in education by providing government services in that language is the minority language's status itself. Swedish is co-official in Finland and anyone who plans to work in the Finnish government must clear an exam at the end of high school in what is called "the second national language" (in practice it's a Finnish exam for Finns who're native speakers of Swedish, but a Swedish one for Finns who're native speakers of Finnish - the exam however in a Finn's native language can be in Finnish, Swedish or Northern Saami). The difference though is that Swedish is a thriving language, and for those students who would rather focus on other subjects (and forgo the chance at working in the Finnish government), mandatory classes in Swedish become a chore much like how mandatory French instruction is for many students in Canada. Finnish students (and their parents) sometimes question the purpose of adhering to Swedish nowadays despite the historical and political reasons. As mentioned previously Northern Saami is not mandatory in Finland although it can be of administrative/professional use in far northern Finland because of the right of a citizen there to get government services in Northern Saami.

On top of this situation in Finland is the truth that English is widely spoken throughout Fennoscandinavia and at sufficient levels to enable basic communication (and even in business transactions) within the community when shared knowledge of the majority language (i.e. Finnish) or the minority ones (i.e. Swedish, Saamic languages) fails to do the job. Finns who are willing to take a chance on working abroad would rather focus on improving their English, French, Spanish, Russian, Mandarin or whatever other foreign language they think that they'll need in their future.
1 person has voted this message useful

Gunshy
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3911 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: French

Message 11 of 17
04 February 2014 at 4:04pm | IP Logged 
I've been tempted to learn Irish (or any other Celtic language as a matter of fact), but one thing that puts me off is the nationalism involved. Do you think a language at threat from another could survive without a common "enemy" (e.g. the Irish trying to pull away from the British)? I've even been run out of an Irish pub for speaking English, and that just reinforces my (however untrue) stereotype of Irish speakers; they dislike the English!

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5056 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 12 of 17
05 February 2014 at 1:25am | IP Logged 
There seems to be a consensus developing, I got this tweet today which further elaborates on what we non-linguists have been discussing:

In Alor, the death of a language

Jakarta Post wrote:
On the island of Alor in East Nusa Tenggara, a language is dying — slowly. The popular image of the last, white-bearded speaker taking a mother tongue with him to the grave is a myth. Languages go out with a whimper. ... Indonesia is home to one-10th of the world’s languages, making it the most linguistically diverse nation after Papua New Guinea. Of the archipelago’s 706 identified tongues, nearly half are threatened or dying, according to the authoritative database ethnologue.com.

For the last year and a half, linguist Nick Williams has been documenting Kula, an endangered language with 5,000 speakers in Alor. Kula is still used for daily communication, but it’s losing users, especially among the young. If the trend continues, it will soon become moribund, with just the elderly still speaking it. By then, it will be too late. ...“The problem is that languages don’t get attention when they are threatened, usually only when they reach moribund status,” said Williams during a recent interview in Jakarta. ...Williams is an interactional linguist, a new school that examines how the structure of a language emerges out of everyday social interaction. Whereas most of 20th century linguistics relied on transcribing and dissecting monologue, he focuses on daily conversation and the language’s functional use. “When you look at a language in conversation, you get a more authentic idea of how the grammar works,” he said.

The structure of a language also may reflect features of the place in which it’s spoken or its local geography. The Kula-speaking community lives in a mountainous area, and a large part of daily life is moving up and down hills. Thus, while Indonesian only has two verbs to indicate elevational movement — naik (to ascend) and turun (to descend) — Kula has several. Place is usually described in terms of elevation: A table in a room will not be “next to” the wall, it will be “upslope” from the wall. ...He said that generally the Kula speakers he worked with were proud of their language, but not that motivated to preserve it. “The challenge is to get people interested. It’s hard to get them to see the urgency.”

And should they? Languages are dynamic and constantly evolve and decay. Would it matter if a tongue spoken by a few thousand people on a small eastern island disappeared? Yes, a great deal, says Williams. Since talking is the most basic social activity, language is the main vehicle of culture, and thus identity. Kula, with its nuanced elevational distinctions for instance, gives its speakers a sense of place in the world. ...Though quiet, the death of these languages will have immense repercussions on their cultures. “Entire oral literatures will be lost, along with knowledge about traditional medicine, plant and animal classifications and how to build certain things,” McKinnon said.

This process of assimilation is happening across the archipelago. According to McKinnon several linguists “have found convincing evidence that even Indonesia’s largest local languages are threatened by a shift to Indonesian”. Even Javanese, the country’s most spoken language after Bahasa Indonesia, is losing users as fewer parents teach it to their children.

"Parents assume that raising their children in their local language will somehow prevent them from learning more economically beneficial languages, like Indonesian and English,” said McKinnon. “This simply is not true. Children can become fluent in several languages. Throughout the history of the Indonesian archipelago, multilingualism has been the rule rather than the exception.” ...He suggested a good place to start would be having elementary school in rural areas taught in the mother tongue. Hawaiian and Maori in New Zealand have been successfully preserved this way — but both with robust state support.

“It’s a massive effort. You need to standardize the language, you need educational materials in the language, you need a grammar. Most mother tongues don’t have those things,” he said.

Ultimately, the role linguists can play is limited. “At the end of the day what keeps a language alive is people speaking it with their children,” said McKinnon. “We can’t force the community,” said Yanti. “They need to decide for themselves.”

This is the current state of Ladino today. Since the expulsion from Spain in 1492 and the subsequent development of the language known as Judeo-Spanish/Ladino, the language hasn't had it's own country. The Ottomans allowed the Sephardic community to retain their language, educate their children in Ladino and print newspapers and books in it. Before WW II Salonika, Greece had a majority Ladino-speaking population. Now, what's left of the community after the Holocaust practically eliminated the Sephardic Jews of the Balkans and Eastern Europe, after immigration has left only about 20,000 speakers in Turkey, has spread to many countries besides Israel. In Israel, Hebrew is the dominant language. The remaining Ladino-speakers are elderly. The language is dying while it still lives.

I will be able to read and understand a large part of this language but I'm not really going to speak it well because I won't have the same opportunity to interact with it as I do with my other languages. I am afraid that we "neo-speakers" won't be able to master the idioms with the play on words that exist between the foreign borrowings and Spanish vocabulary. Haitian Creole has a paucity of literature in comparison to Ladino but there are 10 million HC speakers with their own country. HC is not dying.

So is my learning Ladino helping to preserve the language or is it merely an homage? I mean, I'm not even Jewish. I'm beginning to think it is probably more of the latter than the former. It's the children and grandchildren of the Sephardim who are best able to preserve their ancestral tongue and with it, their cultural heritage. Maybe, my "homage" to Ladino may help to show some of them that their language and culture has value and is worthy of being preserved.

Edited by iguanamon on 05 February 2014 at 1:55am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3839 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 13 of 17
05 February 2014 at 1:37am | IP Logged 
As I've only been learning Irish for about 4 months now (but have had a fascination with the language for far longer than that) I can't really offer any expertise on the state of the language...I have never been to Ireland, and probably won't be able to go for some time. But I must say, it seems like I've heard this before. I remember an Irish friend of the family years ago tellng me that "Gaelic is dead" (it seems that Irish people who don't want anything to do with the Irish language call it 'Gaelic'). In fact, in my copy of Ó Siadhail's Learning Irish (published in 1980), it specifically states that the "fate of the language will be decided by the end of this century". Well, here we are, 14 years into the new century and well, I don't know...On the one hand, I'm sure Irish is in dire straits, as are (lamentably) the rest of the Celtic languages. Will it really vanish within a generation or two? I don't know. Certainly, I have no intention of giving it up, but since I'm not Irish it isn't really my fight, is it? All I know is that Irish is a beautiful language that I enjoy studying and I will keep on studying it. By 2050, I'll be 65 and will probably have enough time on my hands to devote to speaking a "useless", "dead" language.

lecavaleur
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4571 days ago

146 posts - 295 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 14 of 17
11 February 2014 at 11:35pm | IP Logged 
emk wrote:

Yes, this is a very real thing in Canada, too. Because there are situations where French speakers have a
right to French services, and where English speakers have a right to English services, it creates lots of
jobs
where speaking both languages is a major advantage. So anglophone parents quickly snatch up all
the spaces available in French immersion schools, even outside of Quebec.

I realize a lot of the literature on the net reinforces the image you are reporting here, but I call it into
question and have been doing so for a number of years. Having lived as a French-speaker in Canada
outside Québec, and as an English-speaker in Québec, and with an obvious penchant for matters of
language, my observations have led me to quite a different conclusion.

1. On the quality of the French instruction at so-called immersion schools.

a. Outside Québec: It is true that spots in French-immersion programs outside Québec are coveted.
Parents are eager to procure their children any possible advantage. They imagine that their kids will be
perfectly bilingual when they come out. The children in such programs do acquire a limited ability in
French, but it is important that people realize that these children do not come out of these programs
perfectly bilingual, switching effortlessly from one language to the other. Their French is heavily anglicized
and very heavily accented. They do not have the fluidity and natural spontaneity that bilingualism
presupposes because they do not really live in a French-speaking environment. Their grammar is most
often quite poor. Very often, the teachers in these programs are not Francophones themselves. The
children speak to each other in English almost always. What's worse is that their mistakes have been
tolerated for so long and reinforced so much by their peers that they are hard to get rid of if and when
they ever integrate a real Francophone society.

b. On French-Immersion schools inside Québec: The imperative of acquiring excellent French that many
Anglophone parents in Québec now feel does effectively have them enrolling their kids in the limited
number of spots in French-immersion schools in the province, schools where no Francophone children
attend. Those who don't get a spot fall back on the English public school system. The great irony in this is
that any Anglophone parent in Québec can, at any time, place his or her child in the public French system
which is the common, universal system in Québec available to everyone without restriction. This is
something the vast majority of them refuse to even consider, not because they are afraid of losing English
the way Francophones outside of Québec are scared of losing French. English is in an extremely
comfortable position.

The so-called English minority of Québec is the only provincial linguistic minority in Canada that actually
succeeds in assimilating newcomers. The immense attractive force of English as well as it's stature as the
first language of the North American continent and lingua franca of the world have guaranteed
Anglophones in Québec a linguistic comfort unrivalled among linguistic "minorities" (though I obviously
object to that terminology). The reason they refuse to have their children integrate the French system,
even if it would guarantee their bilingualism, is because of a long-standing grudge, the fear that their kids
might come to actually think of themselves as Québécois instead of Canadian, and that they might come
to see the Anglo-Quebecker victimhood narrative for what it really is: bullshit.

2. Availability of services and linguistic rights as a guarantee of language viability.

In my three years living and working in Southern Ontario, I will admit that my bilingualism procured me
just about every job I ever had there. There are a certain number of positions in both the private and
public sectors requiring or preferring French-English bilingual candidates, and the very limited pool of
acceptable candidates tips the balance in the favor of real bilinguals (and even a few fake ones).

The downside of the situation is that these positions are low-level. They are usually in customer service.
Even the government positions (which are much rarer) are low-level outside of Ottawa. The common
language of work remains English. The language of the social ladder remains English. French occupies a
marginal position as the language one uses to communicate with Québec clients, basically. In the Federal
bureaucracy in Ottawa, and everywhere except Québec (and sometimes even in Québec), English is the
common language of communication and work, as most Anglophone employees are incapable of working
in French, the Francophone employees are expected to conform to that working culture.

As for the availability of French services outside Québec (and perhaps the most heavily Francophone areas
of New Brunswick), these have in no way halted the disintegration of French communities and the
dilapidation of the language's viability. I have accessed such services (and still must, from time to time)
and I am inevitably confronted with someone whose French is quite poor (and yet whose English is
flawless). The statistics have shown steady assimilation rates year after year (linguistic transfers from
French to English). Those stats can be accessed by anyone and speak for themselves.

The further one moves away from the Québec border, the worse the situation for French becomes. It has,
in such communities, been demoted to a heritage language with limited usefulness. English has replaced it
as the language of reference for the youth, and their respective abilities in these to languages shows it
(flawless English, ravaged and incomplete French).

The future of French in Canada, outside Québec has not been secured or even stabilized by these
otherwise laudable (I guess?) efforts. That is clear and that's all I'm saying. The better strategy would have
been to not embark on the French eradication campaign in the first place, then the "revival" would be
unnecessary. But alas...

To bring the conclusion back to Irish. I think incentivizing its mastery is a good thing, but it's an ancillary
measure at best. It won't halt the disappearance of the language if there aren't real measures taken...
the kind of measures that are difficult for people, and hence the kind of measures that probably won't take
place.

Edited by lecavaleur on 11 February 2014 at 11:38pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4622 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 15 of 17
16 February 2014 at 4:56pm | IP Logged 
It is rather interesting to contrast one aspect of Irish versus Welsh:

Ireland was, and Wales still is a part of the United Kingdom, which is unarguably
dominated by England/London.

Clearly it didn't help the cause of either language that the countries in which they
were spoken were ruled by the English, who, at least to some extent, actively
suppressed those languages for many years.

However, Ireland (leaving aside Northern Ireland) has been self-governing for many
years, and completely independent for a bit less.

But the fortunes of Irish didn't miraculously recover after self-rule/independence,
even if the language was "officially" supported.

The fortunes of Welsh did recover/have recovered, partly through nationalistic-style
politics, and perhaps a certain amount of pragmatic self-interest on the part of
"London", who perhaps feared that if they didn't support the language (or allow support
for it) tnen they'd have a more serious rebellion on their hands. (The story of S4C -
the Welsh language TV channel is a case in point).

Wales has had some measure of devolution for quite a few years now, which stops quite a
bit short of independence, and is probably never likely to achieve independence in the
foreseeable future.

I'm not sure if the Welsh Government/Assembly has had a positive influence, on the
whole, on the language. One might have expected it to, hoped that it would, but I think
actually more progress was made before the Assembly came into being. And if census
results are to be believed, Welsh is actually falling back now. There is certainly no
room for complacency.

Scotland, on the other hand, may well achieve independence, but the state of Scottish
Gaelic is far worse (I believe) even than Irish, and I doubt if independence would
help.

The English can be blamed for a lot (I speak as primarily an Englishman), but in the
present day at least, I don't think it's the English who are primarily responsible for
the problems in the Irish, Scottish, and Welsh languages.

Thor1987
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4528 days ago

65 posts - 84 votes 
Studies: German

Message 16 of 17
18 February 2014 at 1:00am | IP Logged 
It's really interesting considering the amount of people in irish diaspora. Between the
two gaelics there's easily 50 million people that can consider the languages as a
heritage language.

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version