Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 1 of 7
02 February 2014 at 10:33pm | IP Logged 
I like to read paper books. It seems like box sets of books do not exist in Spanish. All of the series I want to read in Spanish have box sets in English, but not in Spanish. By "box set" I mean when you order one item on Amazon and you get six or seven books in the series... like Harry Potter, for example. Is there such a thing? Where can I get box sets of book series in Spanish? The only ones I seem to be able to find are the Narnia series which comes in one giant book and the Fifty Shades of Grey (which does not really interest me right now).

Related note, is there a place where I can buy a bunch of Spanish novels online for cheap instead of paying the darn $4 shipping and handling every time on Amazon?
1 person has voted this message useful

dbag
United Kingdom
Joined 4833 days ago

605 posts - 1046 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 2 of 7
02 February 2014 at 10:41pm | IP Logged 
You could try the caurteto El cementerio de los libros olvidados by Carlos Ruis Zafon. I don't know if it comes in a box set though, but I have read half of the first book La Sombra del Viento and it is fantastic. The whole series seems to be very highly acclaimed, and you have the advantage that it is a native Spanish language series and not a translation.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 7016 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 3 of 7
02 February 2014 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
James29 wrote:
Related note, is there a place where I can buy a bunch of Spanish novels online for
cheap instead of paying the darn $4 shipping and handling every time on Amazon?

I've had good luck with Amazon Super Saver shipping. If you by $25 worth of appropriate merchandise, and
usually books qualify, you can get free shipping. It may take an extra day or two, but with the normal Amazon
discount, no sales tax, and no shipping, it makes book buying affordable.

BAnna
Triglot
United States
Joined 4433 days ago

409 posts - 616 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish
Studies: Russian, Turkish

Message 4 of 7
03 February 2014 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
The Book Depository

has free shipping and prices comparable to Amazon for new books.

Maybe your local library (or interlibrary loan) might be an option?
Or maybe a good used bookstore near your home?

Edited by BAnna on 03 February 2014 at 2:05am

3 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4820 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 5 of 7
03 February 2014 at 2:53am | IP Logged 
Of course you can! bookdepository is a fine choice with free shipping. and deastore.com has a wide selection in several languages with free delivery as well.

I think you are right that stacking the book series into boxes is probably the most common in the anglosphere. And translated books tend to be a bit more expensive than the originals. But you can still get a fair price for many.

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5676 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 6 of 7
03 February 2014 at 5:19am | IP Logged 
I would recommend checking out the online used shops, like alibris or AbeBooks. On alibris you can also search by language in the advanced search options, not so sure about AbeBooks. There have to be other used book sites out there, too. A quick search at alibris for Isabel Allende brings up quite a few used titles for 99 cents + shipping. You might want to check out your local thrift stores, too. While not always at the top of my reading list, i have found some interesting Spanish books in thrift stores.

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5186 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 7 of 7
04 February 2014 at 12:21am | IP Logged 
Wow, thanks for the suggestions. I will do some more research. My problem seems to be that I can find the books for $0.99 or even $0.01 on Amazon but I can only buy one book at a time so I need to add the shipping charges to each book. I'd like to buy a bunch of books for a dollar each and only pay one shipping charge. Also, the super saver shipping for orders over $25 only works if it is a book shipped by Amazon and not a different seller selling through Amazon.

I'm going to do some searching and may post some more questions later. Thanks again!

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version