Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Is Hungarian easy for a Finnish speaker?

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3782 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 
Speaks: Hungarian*, English, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 17 of 22
04 February 2014 at 8:13pm | IP Logged 
Chung wrote:
Nitpicking here but it's pata and elma in Finnish and Turkish respectively. There is alma in Azeri, Kazakh and Tatar among others and so that's all still close enough

Sorry, I am trying to recall my secondary school grammar lessons.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3782 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 

Message 18 of 22
04 February 2014 at 8:17pm | IP Logged 
We have to keep in mind that Hungarian was influenced not by Oguz Turkic languages such as modern Anatolian Turkish, but by mostly Kipchak and Oghur Turkic languages, so no wonder Kazakh is a closer match than Turkish.

Edited by Hungringo on 04 February 2014 at 8:18pm

FuroraCeltica
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 6659 days ago

1187 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, French

Message 19 of 22
07 February 2014 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Hungringo wrote:
I am Hungarian and for me Finnish is extremely difficult. The relationship between Hungarian and Finnish is not like between Swedish and English rather like between Swedish and Greek.

Transparency between Finnish and Hungarian is basically zero.

Thank you for saying this, I have heard similarly that Hungarian and Finnish are technically related but not enough to be of practical use for learners seeking a 'discount'. However I heard Estonia and Finnish are pretty close, can anyone confirm?

Edited by FuroraCeltica on 07 February 2014 at 8:39pm

Hungringo
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 3782 days ago

168 posts - 329 votes 

Message 20 of 22
07 February 2014 at 9:12pm | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
Hungringo wrote:
I am Hungarian and for me Finnish is extremely difficult. The relationship between Hungarian and Finnish is not like between Swedish and English rather like between Swedish and Greek.

Thank you for saying this, I have heard similarly that Hungarian and Finnish are technically related but not enough to be of practical use for learners seeking a 'discount'. However I heard Estonia and Finnish are pretty close, can anyone confirm?

Finnish and Estonian are definitely much closer although I am not familiar enough with either, especially not with Estonian, to judge the level of transparency between them. I do know that Estonians pick up Finnish very quickly and many watch Finnish TV programs.

Verikukko
Diglot
Finland
Joined 3767 days ago

8 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: Korean

Message 21 of 22
08 February 2014 at 11:19am | IP Logged 
FuroraCeltica wrote:
Hungringo wrote:
I am Hungarian and for me Finnish is
extremely difficult. The relationship between Hungarian and Finnish is not like between
Swedish and English rather like between Swedish and Greek.

Thank you for saying this, I have heard similarly that Hungarian and Finnish are
technically related but not enough to be of practical use for learners seeking a
'discount'. However I heard Estonia and Finnish are pretty close, can anyone confirm?

The vocabulary is extremely similar. I don't technically know a word of Estonian, but
if I watched an Estonian TV show I would understand over 50% of it. Also, Finnish
tourists who go to Estonia literally speak Finnish there, instead of English,
and the Estonians speak back in Estonian and both parties usually understand each
other.

Edited by Verikukko on 08 February 2014 at 11:20am

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6950 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 22 of 22
08 February 2014 at 6:58pm | IP Logged 
Estonian and Finnish are similar, but the intelligibility seems to be asymmetric and dependent on the person involved. Based on my experience the divergence and resultant (un)intelligibility is rather like German and Dutch.

See the following for some more commentary.

Finnish & Estonian
Estonian/Finnish/Hungarian "cheat sheet"
Finno-Ugric Profile

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version