81 messages over 11 pages: 1 2 3 46 7 ... 5 ... 10 11 Next >>
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5009 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 33 of 81
04 February 2014 at 8:46pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
If we want to talk about the data for a critical period we should look at all the data, not the first study, and ignore the non-replications that follow. That's not how science works.

I agree, of course. And if it doesn't exist, then yippy. I have no strong opinion on it; I'm relying on what little I've gleaned from popularizers, and my sense is that the majority of linguists are pro-critical period.

Regardless, I'm not equipped to actually discuss the literature now. I defer to actual linguists.
1 person has voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5009 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 34 of 81
04 February 2014 at 8:52pm | IP Logged 
An interesting online source discussing critical period research.

http://www.lotpublications.nl/publish/articles/001314/bookpa rt.pdf
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5211 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 35 of 81
04 February 2014 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
patrickwilken wrote:
s_allard wrote:

Isn't this what I've been saying? Start young, at least relatively, in complete immersion and, I surmise, strong
motivation and plenty of interaction with natives. It will work.

At the same time, how many HTLALers can claim to have learned to speak like like a native at an adult age?

But you seem to keep shifting the goal posts. At one point you say people have to be <15-years-old to acquire
native skills, then you agree with EMK that adults (postdocs are >15 years-old generally) can learn a language if
immersed, and now are are again suggesting that adults (>18 years old) can't learn to speak like a native.

I am sorry if I am misunderstanding you, but I am bit confused as to the exact claim.

My writing may be a bit confused. But let me first quote myself:

"The whole debate on the critical period hypothesis centers specifically on the acquisition of phonology."

I have explicitly referred to the fact that adults, under the right circumstances, can attain high levels of
proficiency. Native-like phonology is very rare but certainly possible. I would think that working two hours a
day on pronunciation for a year with the help of a dialect coach should do the job.

On the other hand, for spontaneous acquisition of general proficiency and native-like phonology, it is best to
start at the youngest possible age.

Edited by s_allard on 04 February 2014 at 9:00pm

1 person has voted this message useful

patrickwilken
Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4314 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 36 of 81
04 February 2014 at 9:10pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

"The whole debate on the critical period hypothesis centers specifically on the acquisition of phonology."

I have explicitly referred to the fact that adults, under the right circumstances, can attain high levels of
proficiency. Native-like phonology is very rare but certainly possible. I would think that working two hours a
day on pronunciation for a year with the help of a dialect coach should do the job.

On the other hand, for spontaneous acquisition of general proficiency and native-like phonology, it is best to
start at the youngest possible age.

I guess I don't really know what 'spontaneous' means in this context. Are we really arguing about the semantics of "spontaneous" in the case of EMKs postdocs? And is "spontaneous" so different in children? Certainly children benefit in language learning from going to school, so their learning is not that spontaneous.

And frankly while I wish I had started many things at a young age (e.g, a long term savings account), but that doesn't mean that if I start saving money at age 50 I accrue interest any slower rate than if I started at 10 - it's the years of saving that matter, not the age of onset. I always get the impression you are suggesting I would get a better interest rate if I started saving as a child, which I find hard to accept.

Edited by patrickwilken on 04 February 2014 at 9:14pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5211 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 37 of 81
04 February 2014 at 9:22pm | IP Logged 
C'mon, let's be serious for a moment. Actually, the saving account analogy is not that bad. It's not the interest rate
that is in dispute, it's the accumulated savings. We all know that starting to save at age 10 will produce better
results at age 60 than starting at 50.

But rather than being distracted by that spurious example, let's take something closer to learning a language:
learning to play a musical instrument. What is the best age to start learning the violin? 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, etc.?
I'm not a music teacher, but I do observe that all professional musicians start very early. Can people who start at age
40 do well on the violin? Certainly, but I think most people would say that it is best to start at 5.

Edited by s_allard on 04 February 2014 at 9:22pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5009 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 38 of 81
04 February 2014 at 9:26pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
C'mon, let's be serious for a moment. Actually, the saving account analogy is not that bad. It's not the interest rate
that is in dispute, it's the accumulated savings. We all know that starting to save at age 10 will produce better
results at age 60 than starting at 50.

If that's all you're arguing, this is completely uninteresting. Of course one who studies 50 years will be better than one who studies 10 years.

The question is whether one learns faster (or not at all) at certain ages. You would compare, in theory, people who've studied from ages 10-15 to people who've studied from ages, say, 30-35. If, controlling for other variables, the first group learns faster, then something interesting is going on. If not, then woe to the critical period.

Of course it's more complicated than that, but this is the essence as I understand it.
4 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 39 of 81
04 February 2014 at 9:42pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

But rather than being distracted by that spurious example, let's take something closer to learning a language:
learning to play a musical instrument. What is the best age to start learning the violin? 5, 10, 15, 20, 25,
etc.?

I'm not a music teacher, but I do observe that all professional musicians start very early. Can people who
start at age 40 do well on the violin? Certainly, but I think most people would say that it is best to start at 5.

There are many examples of rock musicians who started in their late teens, which is young adulthood, and
even a couple who began in their 20s. Learning an instrument is an active choice and I think the total hours
and committment shown outweigh the age at which one commences. As a child or teenager, you generally
have far more time on your hands than working adults with home responsibilities. Even university students -
who have adult brains - can probably find more time for learning pursuits than people of similar age who work
long hours or have kids.

The polyglot Steve Kaufmann insists that he was a better language learner at 60 than at 16, because he
knows the conditions that work for him.

A friend of mine, aged 52, has recently started learning Spanish. As far as I know, he's never studied
languages independently before, but he seems keen and is already raving about Michel Thomas. But he did
remark that "you can't learn at my age as well as you can when you're young"

Given that he's only in the early stages and that language learning involves a steep curve, he can't possibly
know from experience if age is a major factor. But he as obviously latched on to this idea and I wonder if it will
work against him. If you keep telling yourself that you can't learn effectively beyond a certain age then you
may well start to believe it. When the difficult times come, and they will, maybe it's tempting to fall back on
"you see, at my age.....

Meanwhile kids and young people just bash on. They don't like being told what to do and think at the best of
times.

Edited by beano on 04 February 2014 at 9:51pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5009 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 

Message 40 of 81
04 February 2014 at 9:44pm | IP Logged 
But again, that's all anecdote. Anecdotes are fun, but the irony of citing them as evidence in a thread that called for actual research is acute.

And nobody is saying there won't be exceptions. Statements like "I know a guy who learned Chinese and he doesn't have an accent and he's 53" may be true, but they're not relevant.

Edited by ScottScheule on 04 February 2014 at 9:48pm

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version