Germany
radiant-flux.net
Joined 4315 days ago

1546 posts - 3200 votes 
Studies: German

Message 41 of 81
04 February 2014 at 10:05pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

But rather than being distracted by that spurious example, let's take something closer to learning a language:
learning to play a musical instrument. What is the best age to start learning the violin? 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, etc.?
I'm not a music teacher, but I do observe that all professional musicians start very early. Can people who start at age
40 do well on the violin? Certainly, but I think most people would say that it is best to start at 5.

But that's somewhat different too. There is good evidence from the study of skill acquisition that starting earlier is advantageous for future professional musicians precisely because number of hours of practice is the critical variable in determining performance.

But perhaps that's setting the bar too high? The studies with musicians are looking at a very select and competitive group of people, who must study for decades to get to the top of their profession (tens of thousands of hours).

C2 language performance may actually require far less hours than a group of musicians. If it takes 10-20 years of study to get to C2 (I think probably less) then starting at 20 or 30 or 40 or even 50 years old seems quite OK.

Anyway I don't get the impression we have any substantive points of disagreement.

Edited by patrickwilken on 04 February 2014 at 10:07pm

1 person has voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5212 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 42 of 81
04 February 2014 at 11:52pm | IP Logged 
I agree that there isn't substantial disagreement. And remember, I don't believe in the critical period hypothesis. I
do believe in starting early, whatever the skill, because the learning conditions are often much better than later in
life

Edited by s_allard on 04 February 2014 at 11:53pm

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4404 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 43 of 81
05 February 2014 at 12:06am | IP Logged 
Sure, I'm not going to argue against starting early. No time like the present as they say. But I still think you
can master a language in later life.

The football (soccer) legend Pele knew no English until he joined New York Cosmos in his mid-30s. Now he
conducts speeches and gives formal presentations in English. And he's a guy who had little formal education.

Anyone can do it, if they have the will.
2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6691 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 44 of 81
05 February 2014 at 12:25am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
But rather than being distracted by that spurious example, let's take something closer to learning a language:
learning to play a musical instrument. What is the best age to start learning the violin? 5, 10, 15, 20, 25, etc.?
I'm not a music teacher, but I do observe that all professional musicians start very early. Can people who start at age 40 do well on the violin? Certainly, but I think most people would say that it is best to start at 5.

After two years on the instrument (at 30 years of age) I probably was the lousiest violin player in the local orchestra from the day I joined until the day I left (but hey, someone had to fill that spot too!). However, I've played in other musical constellations where I've surpassed experienced/advanced members in no-time (despite playing a new instrument), and where people who joined at the same time remained on square one for years. I've played with far too many people where the amount of years were of minor importance.

shk00design
Triglot
Canada
Joined 4226 days ago

747 posts - 1123 votes 
Speaks: Cantonese*, English, Mandarin
Studies: French

Message 45 of 81
05 February 2014 at 5:09am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
[QUOTE=s_allard]But rather than being distracted by that spurious example, let's take
something closer to learning a language:
I'm not a music teacher, but I do observe that all professional musicians start very early. Can people who start at
age 40 do well on the violin? Certainly, but I think most people would say that it is best to start at 5.

Personally I picked up playing the violin not at age 5 but more like 15 during my high school years. The main
advantage for starting early is that you can easily train your hand muscles to reach for awkward positions. I picked
up playing keyboard piano even later at age 35. To be a concert pianist they recommend that you start early
for the same reason to train your hands to become stronger so you can play loud passages with impact. Besides that
there is a more practical issue to consider: time. When you are young you simply give up the time you would be
watching TV or play video games to practice music. However, in high school your homework starts piling up and
some may have taken up a P/T job to gain work experience or to pay for personal expenses. The # hours per week
you can practice decrease substantially. However...

Learning to play an instrument like a piano isn't about learning Classical music and going through conservatory level
exams. I've come across many people who aren't trained in Classical music. Some don't even now how to read
notations on paper. In front of a piano they can play many tunes with the right hand playing a melody and the left
playing chords for accompaniment and improvising by adding their own thing along the way. Not everybody has to
end up in a concert hall playing a Beethoven or Tchaikovsky concerto or even be in an orchestra. You can also get
into Jazz, folk tunes or Pop music. Some people learned enough to play hymns in their local churches. You don't
have to be playing even Chopin to pick up piano as a hobby.

Regarding learning languages, I came across videos on YouTube by Steve Kaufmann the polyglot. He started
acquiring languages later in life. Younger people tend to pick up local accents more easily but there is not a lot of
evidence that show older adults cannot learn. Like Steve mentioned the lack of time is a major concern (taking your
kids to school and extracurricular activities, shopping for the family, work, etc).

Can people learn music at an older age? Depends on the type of music and how far they want to go, also how well
they train their ears to pick up melodies... not reading notations like a person reading text off a piece of paper when
giving a speech. What about languages? Moses McCormick didn't pick up all the half-dozen languages he claimed to
be able to speak at age 5. He basically taught himself later in life.

Edited by shk00design on 05 February 2014 at 5:33am

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5212 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 46 of 81
05 February 2014 at 6:08am | IP Logged 
I hope that nobody believes that I said that adults cannot learn languages well. I don't even think we have to
discuss that point here at HTLAL. What seems to be a point of contention is the importance of early exposure to a
foreign language. I see three positions:

1. There is no neurological or cognitive foundation for the belief that there is a "window of opportune language
learning" from age 5 to 15. Therefore, adults can learn as well as children. Learning between 20 and 30 is no
different from ages 5 to 15. The only advantage of starting early is to have a head start in terms of cumulative
hours.

2. There exists a critical period of neurological activity for language acquisition, especially phonology, between
ages 5 and 15. After that period, language acquisition becomes more difficult.

3. Although it may not founded in biology or neurology, the childhood period of 5-15 lends itself particularly
well to language learning because the learning conditions for language are optimal.

For very different reasons, everybody can agree that it is best to learn at an early age. I ask the same question as
before: Is there anybody here who believes that it is better to start a language at a later age rather than earlier?

As for all those musicians who took up the instrument late in life, I wonder how many regret not having started
earlier. As for polyglots like Steve Kaufman, listen to him talking about his learning of French and Chinese,
among his best languages. He learned them when he was young, not necessarily as a child. As for Moses
McCormick, he should be congratulated of course, but one has to admit that his level of proficiency in the
languages I'm familiar with leaves a lot to be desired.

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5212 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 

Message 47 of 81
05 February 2014 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
To come back to the OP and the subject of the lack of research, I think we could turn the question around and ask
why there is so little research coming from the publishers of all these self-learning methods. We've never heard of
anything about the science behind Assimil, Fluenz, Transparent, Michel Thomas, etc. The only one that seems to
have some scientific credentials is the Pimsleur method associated with the late Paul Pimsleur. Despite his
reputations as a revolutionary in the field of self-learning, the only publication I could find was a recent reprint of
his 160 page book How to learn an foreign language.

Rosetta Stone seems to employ a team of real linguists but I'm not sure what they do exactly. Do any of these firms
do any kind of real research into the effectiveness of their products?

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 48 of 81
05 February 2014 at 7:04am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
After two years on the instrument (at 30 years of age) I probably was the lousiest violin player in the local orchestra from the day I joined until the day I left (but hey, someone had to fill that spot too!). However, I've played in other musical constellations where I've surpassed experienced/advanced members in no-time (despite playing a new instrument), and where people who joined at the same time remained on square one for years. I've played with far too many people where the amount of years were of minor importance.

This goes for performance in the workplace as well. I've worked with people who said, "I've been doing [professional title] for 20 years", and I think to myself, I was better at doing that after 1 year of study than you are now.

What's the difference?
1) Apptitude
2) Application

Apptitude is a harder needle to move on the dial, but Application just means pushing yourself to learn things you wouldn't otherwise pickup "doing the job".

In language learning, I think the same things come into play.

This discussion contains 81 messages over 11 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9 10 11  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version