Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3802 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 1 of 16
06 February 2014 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
I've recently discovered the Mango Languages program. I did both the German and Greek
(wanted to try it in a random language I know nothing about) free Lesson One demos in my
Browser. It's hardly enough to figure out if it's worth the price $176 for all three
journeys. I was wondering if anyone else has used it.
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4483 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 2 of 16
06 February 2014 at 5:02pm | IP Logged 
Mango has a big marketing push to get into public libraries in the US, so definitely
don't buy anything until you're sure you can't get it for free from the local library.

That said, no, I haven't used it, but I've investigated it and I'm extremely skeptical.
Their marketing materials repeat ad nauseam that the library patrons love it, it's fun,
it's the most popularly requested item, etc., and not a single word about the actual
program itself. I've spoken to one of the librarians who originally let me know about
these products, and she confirmed that she has seen no anecdotal evidence from anywhere
of someone actually learning any meaningful amount from a mango program.

It also seems that the most popular programs are used for one of two purposes, almost
exclusively: 1) immigrants learning English. No idea how effective this is, but when
you live in the US, it's impossible to say "this program taught me English" without
noting the million other sources of English. 2) Parents wanting to give their children
language enrichment (which I translate as: useless school languages classes, but
without the school).

I repeat that I have not actually used the products, so I cannot speak from experience.
And since these are a free resource, I would love to hear that my impressions are way
off. But I sincerely doubt that they'd be worth bothering with, and I definitely
wouldn't pay for them.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3802 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 3 of 16
06 February 2014 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:

That said, no, I haven't used it, but I've investigated it and I'm extremely skeptical.
Their marketing materials repeat ad nauseam that the library patrons love it, it's fun,
it's the most popularly requested item, etc., and not a single word about the actual
program itself. I've spoken to one of the librarians who originally let me know about
these products, and she confirmed that she has seen no anecdotal evidence from anywhere
of someone actually learning any meaningful amount from a mango program.

Reading over the summary of what you learn with the package of all three levels and
participating in the demos it seems like a very beautiful phrase book. However you do
get some grammar explanation and a chance to record yourself saying these phrases. Also
the words are color coded so you can identify their English equivalents (and I suppose
so you can learn word order through osmosis). I feel it's more geared towards travelers
but it seems overpriced just for you to be able to get around in a foreign land.
Perhaps someone on here has done all three journeys.

I have to say, I've never seen any ads on the Internet or TV for this program. I just
found it by Googling language learning software. If they're mostly in the libraries
then that's prolly why I'm just not hearing of it. I haven't been in a library in
years.

Edited by Tollpatchig on 06 February 2014 at 5:20pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 16
06 February 2014 at 5:25pm | IP Logged 
I had a look at it when it was fairly new (it must have been at least five years ago, say, in 2008). I can't say why I didn't keep using it, but for what it's worth, I still remember the phrase "I'm learning Chinese at a website called Mango Languages." in Chinese (我在一个叫芒果语言的网站学汉语。). It seems as if it's available through some libraries in Sweden.

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4483 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 5 of 16
06 February 2014 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
This is what I was
remembering. You can watch a series of testimonials here. At the main mango languages
page, it looks like they've built the site up a good bit in the 6-9 months or so since I
last visited, so I expect they're growing their business pretty well.

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3802 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 

Message 6 of 16
06 February 2014 at 5:49pm | IP Logged 
I didn't realize the course was that old. Hmmm...still I think that I'm going to
purchase a language program I want it to be pretty intensive and one where I can also
dabble in other languages since I know for a fact that I want to learn a third. I may
look more at Assimil. It claims it can get you to B1 or B2 I think and I'm at like a
A2.5. I've done the "advanced" German demo for Babbel and that was way too easy.

I've never done a language learning software so I really want to try one out. It's hard
to find one that I feel comfortable spending money on and that will work with Linux.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4804 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 7 of 16
06 February 2014 at 11:39pm | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig, I'm afraid you won't find a single exemple of language learning software which would be a full course and leading to B1 or B2. In ten years from now, perhaps. But not now. Most companies trying this are only trying to make a shiny and easily advertisable toy and they don't care their custommers will give up with the usual "I don't have brain for languages" attitude.

But what you can find is a variety of tools whic make a great job at one or two things!

Anki is probably the most popular srs around and I am quite sure there is a linux version as well. There are online in browser tools such as the courses at the Deutsche Welle website. I don't think any can be a full course but they make an excellent supplement to anything. There are either podcasts but they made a few interactive digital courses which aren't bad at all. There is the Germanpod101 which is basically a lot of good quality audio with text. There is Duolingo and other tools.

3 persons have voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5170 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French

Message 8 of 16
07 February 2014 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Mango is a decent course for absolute beginners. It is very basic. I did a review here.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version