Mork the Fiddle
United States
Joined 3780 days ago

86 posts - 159 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Norwegian, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 9 of 16
07 February 2014 at 8:54pm | IP Logged 
Audio of Ancient Greek so seldom appears on the Internet, relatively speaking, that Mango for Ancient Greek attracted me because of that particular feature. Barely through Lesson 4 of Chapter 1, I can give you no extensive evaluation yet.

Ancient Greek consists of four chapters that cover snippets of the Iliad, Herodotus and the Crito. Each lesson consists of around 50 parts of less than a minute's duration and teaches a little vocabulary and a grammatical point or two.

The format is basically listen and repeat and then repeat without listening. A real male voice, pleasant enough, reads the Greek using stress not pitch and in a way that sounds natural.

As for results, although not a beginner, or rather a perpetual beginner, I can now recite the first two lines of the Iliad. I could not do that before I started the Mango app. As I say, I am through only Lesson 4 of Chapter 1, but I do not anticipate learning much vocabulary or grammar using this approach.

The lessons are free through my local library. From what I can gather, libraries in the USA and Canada can give you free access to the program, but I do not know how many libraries participate.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4911 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 10 of 16
09 February 2014 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
I have used Mango extensively for both French and German and I also used their courses in Ancient and Koine Greek.

I have always liked their courses personally (although I wasn't too fond of the accents in Greek, but that is neither here nor there), and I always recommend that people who have free access at least give it a try. The mobile app is particularly nice because you can use it offline on your cellphone whenever you have an extra couple of minutes to study.

Since you've already tried a lesson I suppose you don't need me to explain what it's all about, but if you have any specific question feel free to ask.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3818 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 11 of 16
10 February 2014 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for everyone's feedback. I don't really have a whole lot of time to be going to
the library to use it. I may pass this one up. I was really looking for a supplement to
Easy French since I want to start with that language. I'm very nervous about French
since a lot of the letters are silent and the pronunciation is kinda intimidating.
1 person has voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4720 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 12 of 16
11 February 2014 at 8:22am | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig wrote:
I was really looking for a supplement to
Easy French since I want to start with that language. I'm very nervous about French
since a lot of the letters are silent and the pronunciation is kinda intimidating.

I'm not familiar with Easy French, but I can relate to the nervousness about pronouncing French. The best thing you could do would be to work with something that has lots of text and audio. Assimil is a good choice for this reason. Pimsleur French also has reading lessons, but I found them to be far too dull.

t1234
Diglot
South Africa
Joined 3949 days ago

38 posts - 83 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Turkish, Polish

Message 13 of 16
11 February 2014 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
Tollpatchig wrote:
I'm very nervous about French since a lot of the letters are silent and the pronunciation is kinda intimidating.

Try the Introduction to French Phonology course at FSI.
It's also free.

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4479 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 14 of 16
11 February 2014 at 2:37pm | IP Logged 
The Mango Site is a mess,
I can't even find a way to buy the Malayalam course,
it redirects me to ''check your local library'' :(

Edited by Medulin on 11 February 2014 at 2:37pm

DaisyMaisy
United States
Joined 5191 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 15 of 16
12 February 2014 at 5:55am | IP Logged 
my library has it, and you can access it via your home computer with your library password, which is handy. I took a look at the Spanish one a while back and it was fairly basic although I didn't go too far with it. Now I want to look at it for Ancient Greek, sounds fun anyway!

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4911 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 16 of 16
13 February 2014 at 12:17am | IP Logged 
You don't need to go to the library, you just need an internet connection.

Medulin wrote:
The Mango Site is a mess,
I can't even find a way to buy the Malayalam course,
it redirects me to ''check your local library'' :(

I have heard that some courses are only available for libraries, but since I've never tired to purchase one I can't say for certain.

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version