Diglot
United States
Joined 3747 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish

Message 1 of 23
07 February 2014 at 3:14pm | IP Logged 
Hey guys,

I am in Spain and i want to increase my vocabulary as much as possible. What I'm doing is reading articles from a
variety of interest from elpais.com, putting words I don't know in a word document, and adding them to anki. I
figure if i can put 625 a day in an aki, and if i can retaining 80%, i will get 500 words a day more or less. I have a
really good memory, and i know I can do it, but what do you guys think?
2 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 2 of 23
07 February 2014 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
My first thought on reading this was "knock yourself out!". I went back over your older posts and found your background in Spanish here: Overcoming the plateau. Still, it's a bit unclear exactly where you are in Spanish, what you can and can't do with the language. If you would elaborate on that a bit more it would be helpful in giving you better advice. I'm going to assume that you have reached at least intermediate, if not a higher level.

Just like throwing money at learning a language doesn't work, neither will throwing words at it. You were given good advice in the first thread you posted, but apparently it doesn't appeal to you. I don't think you will reach the promised land by throwing 625 words a day at your brain and trying to have them incorporate into your Spanish.

Since you are in Spain right now, avoid English like the plague! Stop hanging out with other English-speakers. Stop interacting with English media as much as possible. Start making Spanish-speaking friends. Start reading extensively and a lot, in Spanish. Put yourself in situations where you will be using the language as much as possible. Volunteer with a local theater group or some other cause that interests you and make yourself a part of the local Spanish-speaking community. If you have spare time at home, get off the English-language internet and start watching Spanish TV. Find a telenovela to watch and write a review of what you've seen and heard in Spanish and check it against the posted review of the episode. Bottom line, it's time to engage the language not memorize it and keep using the same methods that got you where you are now.

Use anki if you want but don't make it your main focus. Put it to work for you in the context of interacting with Spanish. If you want to do this plan you've laid out, I doubt if it will work as well as you may think to improve your Spanish, no matter how great your memory is. I believe your time and effort could be put to better use elsewhere in interacting with Spanish.

Sorry for sounding harsh and not supportive of your idea, but you asked for advice and I'm giving you my honest opinion about what I think. Go back and re-read your first thread. There's some good advice there.

Edited by iguanamon on 07 February 2014 at 4:22pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6704 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 23
07 February 2014 at 4:16pm | IP Logged 
For how long do you plan to add 625 words a day? Are you aware that the words you retain will still show up someday?
1 person has voted this message useful

theoanderson3
Diglot
United States
Joined 3747 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes

Message 4 of 23
07 February 2014 at 4:19pm | IP Logged 
Thanks for the advice. I definitely agree with what you said, but I think it could only help me not hurt me by reading
articles online even if i retain a minimal amount.

Also, just for the time i'm here.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 5 of 23
07 February 2014 at 4:30pm | IP Logged 
If you are only in Spain for a short time, don't waste that time sitting in front of your
computer and slaving away at Anki. If you're bound and determined to do that, which it looks like you are, at least wait until you get home. Spain is right there, outside your door- go forth and speak Spanish. Try to make some friends. Anki can wait til you get home.

Edited by iguanamon on 07 February 2014 at 4:38pm

8 persons have voted this message useful

theoanderson3
Diglot
United States
Joined 3747 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes

Message 6 of 23
07 February 2014 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
If you are only in Spain for a short time, don't waste that time sitting in front of your
computer and slaving away at Anki. If you're bound and determined to do that, which it looks like you are, at least
wait until you get home. Spain is right there, outside your door- go forth and speak Spanish. Try to make some
friends. Anki can wait til you get home.

my only problem with that advice is that i feel like i can only understand so much...yeah you can pick up some
words from natives, but what about the rest?

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Joined 5057 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 

Message 7 of 23
07 February 2014 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
You can do Anki and other study at home. Don't blow this opportunity in the TL country. Get a copy of a printed paper,or look online, for free lectures to attend or a play to go and see. Find a good bar for hanging out. Go to a bookstore and talk with the staff asking for recommendations. It just seems to me that you are wasting a chance that many people here would give their eyeteeth to have.

Edited by iguanamon on 07 February 2014 at 4:39pm

theoanderson3
Diglot
United States
Joined 3747 days ago

13 posts - 15 votes

Message 8 of 23
07 February 2014 at 4:40pm | IP Logged 
iguanamon wrote:
You can do Anki and other study at home. Don't blow this opportunity in the TL country. Get
a copy of a printed paper,or look online, for free lectures to attend or a play to go and see. Find a good bar for
hanging out. Go to a bookstore and talk with the staff asking for recommendations. It just seems to me that you are
wasting a chance that many people here would give their eyeteeth to have.

ok i understand, but what about the books, newspapers with words i dont know? just keep them in a word
document with the translations?

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version