Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5962 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 9
07 February 2014 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
What words do you use to test how good a dictionary is in terms of coverage and quality ? My quick check words are,

Spanish: Obraje – Timberyard\Sawmill. Oddly this word in in my small VOX monolingual dictionary, but not my more substantial RAE monolingual dictionary.
French: Hourdis – Pre-fabricated hollow slabs. I’ve only found this word in the large Petit Robert, even though it showed up in a B2 rated article.

1 person has voted this message useful

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4547 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 2 of 9
07 February 2014 at 6:42pm | IP Logged 
I do look up certain words to test the usefulness of a dictionary, but I have a different
strategy- instead of relatively obscure words I generally look for a very common word
likely to have multiple translations, like "put" or "even."

Dictionaries that simply list a number of common translations without giving me any
guidance as to their usage are no use to me. Dictionaries that clearly delineate the
usage of the various translations, as well as regional preferences, and on top of that
include idioms and expressions, are fantastic.

That's just personal preference, of course. I would rather a dictionary have extensive
notes on usage than extensive entries.
11 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6514 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 3 of 9
07 February 2014 at 8:25pm | IP Logged 
I share osoymar's taste in dictionaries, but the ideal situation is to have a midsize dictionary which still is handy for daily use and a reserve mega monster dictionary for the really hard stuff.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6967 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 4 of 9
07 February 2014 at 9:06pm | IP Logged 
For any bilingual dictionary of a Slavonic language, I look for hints about inflection, case governance and information about prosody in the headword (latter applicable to languages with mobile stress), in addition to the quality and quantity of example sentences.

I usually pick as the representative words the reflexes of *čitati "to read" and *kъniga "book" to see how nouns/adjectives and verbs respectively are treated.

"Good" examples using the Polish-English section of a dictionary are the following:

- czytać impf. (pf. przeczytać) (-am, -asz) "to read" - c. na głos "to read aloud", c. książkę "to read a book" etc.

- książka f. (gen sg. książki, nom pl. książki) "book" czytać/pisać książkę "to read/write a book" etc.

(the case governance comes out in the example sentences with książkę being accusative, so it's not always necessary for me to have the case governance made that explicit).

If this were a Russian-English, Ukrainian-English or BCMS/SC-English dictionary, I would look for markings that indicate stress placement, in addition to inflectional hints.

It's not about the words themselves but the quality of the entries, as well as the overall size/coverage of the dictionary (all else equal, I expect a bilingual dictionary boasting 100,000 entries to have more obscure entries or low-frequency items than one with 20,000 entries).
3 persons have voted this message useful

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4613 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 5 of 9
07 February 2014 at 11:42pm | IP Logged 
My adult beginner friendly Collins Easy Learning German Dictionary is starting to show
its limitations in less than a year of evening classes. I'm finding myself having to be
creative in my choice of English in order to find the correct German word.

It's been very helpful for getting to know about the peculiarities of a German dictionary
and for easy strong verb conjugation checks but it'll be heading to Oxfam before the end
of term and a Langenscheidt's compact dictionary being ordered instead.

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5371 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 6 of 9
08 February 2014 at 2:59am | IP Logged 
Off topic question. I've noticed German dictionaries never repeat the headword in the text: if it appears unchanged, they just use the initial and full stop, and if it's a variation on the haedword, they use a squiggly dash plus the suffix etc. Obviously it saves space, but I find it quite annoying to read, especially as it is unnecessary with an e-dictionary. I suppose I shall get used to it.

Anyway, I don't recall that English or French dictionaries do that, but do they do it in other countries?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 9
08 February 2014 at 6:29am | IP Logged 
Yes, it's done like that in Russia. I kinda have a feeling that the Russian and German lexicographical traditions are quite similar.

yantai_scot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4613 days ago

157 posts - 214 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German

Message 8 of 9
09 February 2014 at 12:14am | IP Logged 
Ooh. I quite like it with the just the letter changes. Nice and straightforward. Good to
hear that Russian is the same.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version