FashionPolyglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3723 days ago

39 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 1 of 41
08 February 2014 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Hello everyone! My name is Simon Blanco, AKA, "The Fashion Polyglot". I came across this site while watching the
video explaining the "FLR Technique" (Foreign Language Road-Running Technique). The Polyglot's name is
"laoshu505000", also known as Moses McCormick.

He isn't the only Polyglot I am subscribed to on Youtube. You guys might have heard the names "Benny Lewis", "Luca
Lampariello", "Steve Kaufman", "Loki", "Susanna", "Idahosa Ness", "David Mansaray", "Richard Simcott", "Emanuele
Marini", "Professor Arguelles", "Donovan" from "The Mezzofanti Guild", "LearnArabicWithMaha" & of course the
Prodigy Teenage Polyglot "Timothy Doner".

I might have named all the famous polyglots on the list, as you can see on top. Oh, there's also Ziad Fazah, but I
really don't like that guy.

Anyway, I absolutely love learning languages! It is what I am most passionate about besides Fashion, which is my
2nd favorite thing ever.

I haven't always had a passion for languages. In fact, I only started growing an interest on learning new languages
just last year, 2013. Here's my story:

I was born in the Philippines in March 9, 1994. My family consists of my Mom & Dad & my 3 brothers (2 older & 1
younger). At the time, my family & I lived with my Grandparents (Mother's Side), as well as my cousins. My parents &
Grandparents taught me how to speak Tagalog (The Philippines Main Language). Unfortunately, they didn't teach me
how to speak English (Which is the Philippines 2nd Language).

It's not until I entered Kindergarten (In German, "Kindergarten" means "Children's Garden") that my teachers taught
me how to speak English. In the Philippines, you have to speak English in school, so that is how I got my English
practice (Though not yet fluent at the time). At home, I don't speak much English as I would have to communicate to
my family speaking Tagalog.

Anyway, I only had a year of English education in the Philippines, as My family & I would move to the USA in the year
2000/2001 (Not quite sure).

What I find great about America is that I finally can practice more of my English! I fell in love with English so much,
that I would speak English over Tagalog, and I would eventually forget how to speak Tagalog.

The more I grew up, the less I liked the Filipino language, & the more fluent I became with English. I can still
understand some Tagalog though, & I can still speak a couple words. People say that if u forget the language of your
native tongue, that you don't forget all of it, & once you learn it again, it will be a lot easier.

Fast forward to 2013, I found out that my 2nd oldest brother is learning Korean. I remember having watched a
couple of Laoshu Level Up videos with my brother. It was those moments where I started taking an interest in
Language Learning. I just enjoy watching people showing all smiles as a foreigner is able to speak a language that
isn't theirs.

I believe that speaking other Languages can bring people together. I believe that in order to gain connections
around the globe in the most heartfelt way, is to learn how to speak someone else's language.

Nelson Mandela once said, "If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to
him in his language, that goes to his heart". I absolutely believe in what he said and I love his quote dearly.

Back to the story.

After finding out about my brother's Korean language adventures. I wanted to start a language adventure of my
own. I thought to myself, "What Languages do I want to learn"? & "How many languages should I learn"? After doing
a lot of thinking, this is what I came up with:

The Polyglot List (Languages I want to learn):

1. English
2. Arabic
3. Egyptian Arabic
4. Tagalog
5. Spanish (Spain)
6. Spanish (Latin America)
7. Portuguese
8. Brazilian Portuguese
9. Hungarian
10. French
11. German
12. Italian
13. Hindi
14. Hebrew
15. Farsi/Persian

I know that is a lot of languages I plan on learning. Obviously I won't become fluent in all 15 until I probably reach
my retirement age (65). But I do plan on being able to speak at a conversational level with the other 14 languages by
age 30. Not only do I want to learn 14 other languages, but I want to also maintain them (so I don't forget). I want to
travel to countries where people speak those languages. I also want to travel to other countries where I don't
necessarily want to learn the language, but to travel to those countries to appreciate their culture.

Here's a list of the countries I want to travel to spend 500 days:

1. USA - English
2. Brazil - Brazilian Portuguese
3. Portugal - Portuguese
4. Spain - Castilian Spanish
5. Mexico - Latin American Spanish
6. Egypt - Egyptian Arabic & Arabic
7. Iran - Farsi/Persian
8. India - Hindi
9. Israel/Palestine - Hebrew & Arabic
10. France - French
11. Germany - German
12. Italy - Italian
13. Philippines - Tagalog
14. Hungary - Hungarian

There are reasons as to why I want to learn these 15 languages, & why I didn't want to learn Korean, even though
that language is what started my Language Passion.

Reasons to learn Tagalog:

Well, Tagalog is truly my first Native Tongue, not English. I forgot my Tagalog when I moved to America. I want to
relearn it because I realized that Tagalog didn't sound too bad to the ear after all. It would be a disgrace to other
Filipinos if I didn't speak their language. By relearning Tagalog, I would appreciate more of my own culture &
heritage.

Reasons to learn Portuguese:

Well if you haven't already guessed by my name, I also love fashion. My favorite Youtube Beauty Guru is Bethany
Mota (MacBarbie07). She is Portuguese. Also, in Portugal, Fashion is taken seriously. Wearing more fashionable
clothes, according to the Portuguese, is to show social class. In a way, that helped Bethany Mota become one of the
most popular Youtube Beauty Gurus. I want to meet her one day & speak Portuguese to her family (She doesn't
speak Portuguese though).

Reasons to learn Brazilian Portuguese:

If I already want to learn Portuguese, why learn Brazilian dialect? Well it makes sense to learn Brazilian Portuguese
because it would be easier to learn it when you have European Portuguese experience. Another reason as to why I
want to learn Brazilian Portuguese is because some of my favorite Victoria's Secret Models speak it. Alessandra
Ambrosio, Gisele Bundchen & Adriana Lima.

Reasons to learn Hungarian:

My favorite Victoria's Secret Model of all time is Hungarian. Barbara Palvin. Also, I played Medieval 2 Total War back
in the day and Hungary was my favorite faction to play. I like languages that challenges me. I've heard people say
that "Hungarian is the Chinese Language of Europe". I believe that Hungarian & the Chinese Languages are both
superiorly hard, but I wouldn't word it that way.

Reasons to Learn French:

French was originally my favorite language ever, and I was once asked a question, "If you could only learn one
language, what language would it be"? My response was "French". French isn't my favorite language anymore. Not
that French isn't interesting, it is. The reason why I don't like it as much anymore, is because French isn't as
beautiful as people make it to be. It can sound really bad if the person doesn't have the right accent. I don't want to
discourage anyone from learning French. I found it to be a very interesting language with rich history & culture.
Also, France has the 2nd greatest Fashion City in the world (Paris), giving me another reason to learn French.

Reasons to Learn Italian:

I love the sound of the Italian accent. I love Italian Food & Culture. I believe the Italians are the best when it comes to
fashion taste. After all, they have the #1 Fashion City in the world (Milan). Also, one of my favorite Polyglots is from
Italy, Luca Lampariello. Maha of "LearnArabicWithMaha" also speaks Italian and she lives there too.

Reasons to Learn German:

German is one of those languages that I always seem to "fake speak". I don't know why I do that, I just really like the
sound of Deutsch.

Reasons to learn Castilian & Latin American Spanish:

I love the flow of the language. Spanish is one of the fastest speaking languages. Every time I listen to a
conversation in Spanish, the speakers almost always talk too fast. Spanish is also super important for me to learn as
there is a drastic increase of the Hispanic populace coming & being born to the US.

Reasons to learn Hindi:

I always had appreciated Indian Culture, Food, & it's rich history. Another reason to learn Hindi is because I always
wanted to watch Bollywood movies without captions. I want the full Indian movie experience.

Reasons to learn Farsi/Persian:

I want to learn Farsi because I believe it is a beautiful language. It is Tim Doner's favorite language and he said that
Persian Poetry is the best. I want to be able to read Persian Poetry someday. Tim Doner is my favorite Polyglot
because he was able to learn 20+ languages in his teens. It only makes sense for me to learn his favorite language.

Reasons to learn Arabic:

I had always been interested on learning Arabic since September 11, 2001. Ever since that horrible day on US soil,
Arabs have always been judged by our fellow Americans. I believe that learning this language can help me
understand Arabs & their Culture. I want to one day visit the Middle East to show to Americans that Arabs are
awesome people.

Reasons to learn Egyptian Arabic:

Since I'm learning Arabic, I have to learn a dialect, and I choose the Egyptian dialect. Egyptian Arabic is the most
spoken and understood dialect of them all. Many Arabs can understand & speak Egyptian Arabic, even though they
don't live in Egypt. Egyptian Media is big in the Arab world, and I would love to watch Egyptian movies & listen to
Egyptian music.

Reasons to learn Hebrew:

I want to learn Hebrew because it is closely related to Arabic. It would be easier to learn Hebrew after I finish Arabic.
Another reason why I want to learn Hebrew is because Maha speaks it. I want to meet her someday & be able to
speak Hebrew, Arabic, & Italian with her.

That's about it. If you have any questions you want to ask me, please do so. You can add me on Skype if you like. I
will accept your friend requests & any conversation requests.

Thanks for letting me be part of this Language Learning Community! :)
6 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3924 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 2 of 41
08 February 2014 at 12:21pm | IP Logged 
Good luck on your journey!

I very recently started learning Tagalog. It's a very complex language! The more I learn, the more I appreciate its
music.
1 person has voted this message useful

FashionPolyglot
Joined 3723 days ago

39 posts - 73 votes 

Message 3 of 41
08 February 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Good luck on your journey!

I very recently started learning Tagalog. It's a very complex language! The more I learn, the more I appreciate its
music.

Thanks! Many foreign Tagalog learners say that the language is complex. I would disagree. Tagalog is phonetic,
most words & phrases are pronounced the way it's spelled. It's also not hard to acquire the accent. Just practice
Tagalog on a daily basis and you'll find it's not too hard after all.

I noticed that you learned Spanish as well. Spanish rule on Philippine land influenced the Tagalog language, so you
will find a bunch of Spanish loan words.

Since your from Canada, can you please tell what the differences are between Canadian French & French?

And since I'm learning French, is there any way I can choose what accent I want? For example, can I speak French
with the Quebec or African accent?

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6216 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 41
09 February 2014 at 4:03am | IP Logged 
Seeing your introduction reminds me of my teenage years... good luck with your
languages.. I'm also very interested in Hindi, Arabic and Spanish. :)

FashionPolyglot
Joined 3723 days ago

39 posts - 73 votes 

Message 5 of 41
09 February 2014 at 7:11am | IP Logged 
Jiwon wrote:
Seeing your introduction reminds me of my teenage years... good luck with your

Thanks! Yes, those 3 languages you mentioned are definitely interesting. My 2nd oldest brother is actually an
intermediate level Korean speaker & is interested in learning Japanese. I like Asian Languages myself, though I don't
want to learn to speak it. Indo-European & Semitic languages is what I'm passionate about.

There's a famous Korean Comedian that speaks fluent Arabic. His name is Wonho Chung. Have you heard of him?

About my introduction. What makes it remind you of your teenage years?

Jiwon
Triglot
Korea, South
Joined 6216 days ago

1417 posts - 1500 votes 
Speaks: EnglishC2, Korean*, GermanC1
Studies: Hindi, Spanish
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 41
09 February 2014 at 10:41am | IP Logged 
FashionPolyglot wrote:
Jiwon wrote:
Seeing your introduction reminds me of my
teenage years... good luck with your

Thanks! Yes, those 3 languages you mentioned are definitely interesting. My 2nd oldest
brother is actually an
intermediate level Korean speaker & is interested in learning Japanese. I like Asian
Languages myself, though I don't
want to learn to speak it. Indo-European & Semitic languages is what I'm passionate
about.

There's a famous Korean Comedian that speaks fluent Arabic. His name is Wonho Chung.
Have you heard of him?

About my introduction. What makes it remind you of your teenage years?

Nope never heard of him..

Because back in my teens, I had as much enthusiasm as you have for language learning.
I believed that I would learn at least ten languages before I die, but I have since
then changed my ideas about learning languages and decided to stick to a few that I can
speak very well, with others that I only want to converse in.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5100 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 7 of 41
09 February 2014 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
FashionPolyglot wrote:
There's a famous Korean Comedian that speaks fluent Arabic. His name is Wonho Chung. Have you heard of him?

Won Ho Chung is ethnic Korean, but he was born in Saudi Arabic and raised in Jordan. He's known in the Middle East, but not in Korea.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3924 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 8 of 41
09 February 2014 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
FashionPolyglot wrote:

Thanks! Many foreign Tagalog learners say that the language is complex. I would disagree. Tagalog is phonetic,
most words & phrases are pronounced the way it's spelled. It's also not hard to acquire the accent. Just practice
Tagalog on a daily basis and you'll find it's not too hard after all.

I noticed that you learned Spanish as well. Spanish rule on Philippine land influenced the Tagalog language, so
you
will find a bunch of Spanish loan words.

Since your from Canada, can you please tell what the differences are between Canadian French & French?

And since I'm learning French, is there any way I can choose what accent I want? For example, can I speak French
with the Quebec or African accent?

I love how so many Filipinos think that their language is the easiest one! It's a refreshing change from people
going on and on about how *complex* their native tongue is. ;) I'm fine with Tagalog pronunciation, spelling and
even vocabulary. No problem there - it's just a question of learning and practicing. It's the grammar and flexible
word order that are proving to be a bit of a beast! Of course, I haven't really dug into learning yet, so maybe it
will all be clear when I start really focusing on Tagalog in the spring.

Canadian French is French. We can communicate without difficulty with a French-speaker from any other country.
But there are, of course, lots of differences: vocabulary, pronunciation, a tendency to "eat" words. People who
learn standard French as a second language and then watch TV from Quebec (not the news, but something with
"real people" like interviews or game shows) find it very difficult to understand at first - there's definitely a
transition period. You can learn to speak with any accent, but it all depends on exposure. What are you
watching/listening to and who are you talking to? In large part, that's what will determine your accent.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: 2 3 4 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version