Language Learning Forum : Members profiles Post Reply
41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 25 of 41
19 February 2014 at 2:02pm | IP Logged 
You don't have to learn two standards of Portuguese. It's enough to learn one and be familiar with the other. Brazilians live and work in Portugal every day. Portuguese people live and work every day in Brazil. Learn either variety and make an effort to be familiar with the other and you'll be able to enjoy the benefits of knowing a language.

It's wonderful to be young and eager, full of energy and desire to learn. This is an ingredient that no course or system can give you. As usual, Serpent has given good advice for your situation. I would add that doing is more important than talking about doing. Lately, I have been influenced by the philosophy of no goals

Leo Babauta of zenhabits wrote:
...What I’ve learned is that goals get a lot of credit for having us stick to projects, but they mask what really motivates us to stay with something:

Commitment. If I commit to doing something to other people (say a business partner, a workout partner, or my blog readers), I’m much more likely to stick to it. This is true whether I set a goal for this commitment or not.
    Having a strong Why. If I really care about a project, it’s because there’s a very strong reason for me to do it. I think it’ll help a lot of people in an important way, for example. Or it will benefit people I care a lot about. Or it will change my life in a meaningful way. If I feel like quitting a project, I’ll check in with my Why and rarely will I quit if the reason is strong enough.

So yes, I’ll quit projects sometimes, but that’s usually because I’m not very committed to them or didn’t have a very strong Why in the first place. This doesn’t happen too often anymore, because I don’t usually take on a project these days unless I have both of these factors locked into place.

What I’ve learned is that Goals are great, but we think they are what motivate us when they aren’t. When we take away the goals, we can dig deeper into learning about ourselves and how we work. source

I agree with this philosophy. If I had followed it when I was younger I might have accomplished a lot more today- possibly something to consider as you undertake this journey.

Welcome to the forum and good luck in your studies.

Edited by iguanamon on 19 February 2014 at 3:27pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 26 of 41
19 February 2014 at 3:01pm | IP Logged 
FashionPolyglot wrote:

I might learn 15 languages, like what the thread title states.

Of course. Whatever you want. Have you read Casanova's famous book "The 15 extraordinary women I will have a amorous relationship with in the far far future"? It brought him worldwide fame as an admired hero of love, almost immediately, despite the fact that the author was a shy, nondescript person with a rural background and virtually no experience.

2 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 27 of 41
19 February 2014 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
lingoleng, I think we all get your point: FashionPolyglot is full of youthful enthusiasm, and it's much better to spend time studying a one's first language than planning one's fifteenth language. And this is absolutely true: real work is the most important thing, by far.

But youthful enthusiasm is perfectly normal in the young. I had all kinds of crazy dreams when I was 12, and some of them were undoubtedly ridiculous. Somewhere along the way, I learned that I had to take things one step at time, and do the actual work, and figure out how to turn a big dream into a few smaller, hard-won, but still respectable achievements.

But at age 12, or 15, or even 18, people dream big. And that's a good thing: If you can't have youthful dreams at those ages, when can you? I know that your sarcasm and harsh words towards FashionPolyglot are well intentioned, and that you actually have a good point buried under your apparent hostility, and lots of other people in this thread have already said the same thing in various ways. But it seems like you're getting really bothered by FashionPolyglot's enthusiasm.

FashionPolyglot has the right to be young, and enthusiastic, and to dream dreams that are beyond the reach of a mere mortal like me. One of two things will happen: Either FashionPolyglot will turn out to be the next Iversen or Arguelles, and actually learn all those languages, or like a great many people, FashionPolyglot will dive into one language, discover the challenges and delights of language learning, and reshape any plans over the coming years. But youth is the time when all paths are possible, and we try out different dreams.

So please don't take upon yourself the responsibility for single-handedly killing FashionPolyglot's youthful enthusiasm. Warn about the dangers of debt, if you wish, or the sheer life-eating effort of being good at that many languages. But please try to dial back the sarcasm, and give this thread a break for a bit. FashionPolyglot, like everybody else on HTLAL, has the right to courtesy.

FashionPolyglot, have you decided which language you want to learn next? Can we help you find some good starting points? Have you considered starting a log, and posting weekly updates? Lots of people here would enjoy following your journey, and we'd be happy to help you find resources and provide encouragement through the hard bits.

It's fun to plan, but as iguanamon suggests, the first step is actually diving into a language. It's a whole lot of fun, and we can help you get started. If you don't have even the foggiest idea where to start, check out the Learner FAQ, and see if any of the suggestions appeal to you. Then feel free to ask us questions. :-) We can help you figure out the next step towards your goals.
8 persons have voted this message useful

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 28 of 41
19 February 2014 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
If there's anything I can help you with in starting to learn Portuguese, let me know. I'm happy to help you get started if I can.
4 persons have voted this message useful

FashionPolyglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3724 days ago

39 posts - 73 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Portuguese

Message 29 of 41
20 February 2014 at 12:04am | IP Logged 
@Iguanamon

Thank you! Good luck to you too on your language studies!

I understand that Portuguese & Brazilians understand each other fine. It's not that I need to learn both types of
Portuguese, it's that I WANT to.

I don't like even the tiniest amount of miscommunication, and I believe that if I learn to speak European & Brazilian
Portuguese, it will help me out with knowing the differences.

The differences include:

In Brazil, they say Oi for hello/hi. In Portugal, they say Ola for hello/hi.
In Brazil, "dog" is pronounced "Cachorro". In Portugal, "dog" is pronounced Cao.

As you noticed, these examples above are missing diacritics (I think that's what you call them. The symbols on the
letters), but you get the point.

Language websites & resources differentiate between European & Brazilian Portuguese for a reason. They are
differentiated by "Flags", and if you see the Brazilian flag, you know it's Brazilian Portuguese. Same applies if a
language website or book shows the Portuguese flag.

You may advise me to learn only one form of Spanish, and if I had to choose between learning Castilian or Latin
American, I would learn Latin American Spanish. But if you ask me the same question with the Portuguese language,
I would not be able to choose.

I hope I gave you a good reason as to "Why" I'm learning learn both forms of Portuguese.

And thanks again for offering to help me! :)
1 person has voted this message useful

FashionPolyglot
Joined 3724 days ago

39 posts - 73 votes 

Message 30 of 41
20 February 2014 at 1:26am | IP Logged 
@emk

I would greatly appreciate any form of help from you, or anyone else. The more help I can get, the better. :)

Here's what I think about some of the things that you've said:

Quote by emk:

One of two things will happen: Either FashionPolyglot will turn out to be the next Iversen or Arguelles, and actually
learn all those languages, or like a great many people, FashionPolyglot will dive into one language, discover the
challenges and delights of language learning, and reshape any plans over the coming years.

Either way, it's a victory for me. The only way I can lose is if I, "Give up", or "Not try at all", and that's not going to
happen. I might become the next Iversen or Arguelles, but they have learnt so many languages, that they haven't
spent a lot of time being "Engulfed to the culture of a language".

The best language learning experience is when you actually get to explore the culture of a country. I feel that
Iversen & Arguelles, and many other polyglots, spend too much time learning languages at a "Linguistic", or
"Technical" point of view. I'm not saying polyglots/linguists are boring, is that they should "Show more enthusiasm".

And to show enthusiasm with your language learning, you have to travel & enjoy foreign entertainment. Explore the
culture of any country, try out their many delicacies, listen to beautiful foreign music, watch foreign movies &
television, try out the countries' magnificent clothes and so on.

My older brother whose learning Korean & Japanese, has said, "What's the point of learning a language if you're not
engulfing yourself with it's culture"?

Learning Korean without having listened to K-Pop. Or learning Japanese without having seen any Anime. I think that
sounds ridiculous.

I want the best of both worlds. I don't want to be like those other polyglots/linguists. I want to be different. I want to
be unique. I want to show enthusiasm when learning languages. I want to actually be fluent in a language, and not
stop "After 3 months", only to achieve intermediate B1 or B2 level. I want C1 or C2 fluency as much as possible. I
want to engulf myself with the culture of a language. I want to travel to many different countries someday. I want to
try out different food, fashion, movies, music & Tv in foreign languages/countries. I want to be able to talk about
any deep, meaningful conversations to any native speakers, and not just small talk. I don't want to just impress
native speakers, I want "A Way of Life". A life dedicating myself to language culture, and not just the language
themselves.

Imagine, being able to go to malls like Moses McCormick (Laoshu), and actually have an interest in fashion & be able
to converse about it. I don't want to be like Moses McCormick, and show off my language skills, only to stop & think
about "What should I say", or "How can I pronounce this word". I don't want to be embarrassed while on the spot. I
want to feel confident towards who I'm speaking to. I don't want to just have the ability to talk about "Language" in a
foreign language. I want to have conversations about "Fashion", while I'm at the mall. I can be giving both men &
women, fashion advice, and be able to talk about "What's your favorite style of clothing", or, "Who's your favorite
model" in another person's language.

Being able to talk about ANY topic during conversation, is my "Ultimate Goal". I want to learn as many languages as I
can, like polyglots do, but at the same time, I want to become fluent at my target languages. I don't want to rush my
goals. My goals are simple. Learn one language at a time and enjoy myself speaking it. Once I feel that I've become
fluent in a language, I will move on to the next language and do the same thing. Achieving C1 or C2 level fluency at
a language, and immersing myself with language culture.

Quote by emk:

FashionPolyglot, have you decided which language you want to learn next? Can we help you find some good starting
points? Have you considered starting a log, and posting weekly updates? Lots of people here would enjoy following
your journey, and we'd be happy to help you find resources and provide encouragement through the hard bits.

I will answer your questions one at a time.

emk: What language do you want to learn next?

Me: I'm currently challenging myself to learn Brazilian Portuguese.

emk: Can we help you find some good starting points?

Me: Yes of course! :) I can sure use some useful tips and resources right now.

emk: Have you considered starting a log, and posting weekly updates?

Me: I have considered starting a log. You'll know when I make one.

FashionPolyglot
Joined 3724 days ago

39 posts - 73 votes 

Message 31 of 41
20 February 2014 at 1:31am | IP Logged 
lingoleng wrote:
Of course. Whatever you want. Have you read Casanova's famous book "The 15 extraordinary
women I will have a amorous relationship with in the far far future"? It brought him worldwide fame as an admired
hero of love, almost immediately, despite the fact that the author was a shy, nondescript person with a rural
background and virtually no experience.

I haven't read the book.
2 persons have voted this message useful

lingoleng
Germany
Joined 5079 days ago

605 posts - 1290 votes 

Message 32 of 41
20 February 2014 at 2:35am | IP Logged 
FashionPolyglot wrote:

I haven't read the book.

Good luck on your way, anyway. Your last answers have made things clearer than I could have asp ired to.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version