Diglot
Germany
Joined 5115 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 9 of 23
10 February 2014 at 12:29am | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:
What's unusual in щ? It's not more unusual than ш. Щ is exactly the same as French ch in chi and chu, for example.

While щ is indeed often pronounced like ш, there are also words in which it's realized as two consonants in a row [ɕɕ], which many foreigners might find difficult to pronounce. If you don't believe me, ask any of your friends who doesn't speak Russian to pronounce, for example, Хрущёв (Khrushchev) [xruˈɕɕof].
I also cannot think offhand of another Western European language where one letter corresponds to a sequence of two identical consonants.

Марк wrote:
Palatalized and non-palatalized consonants create a very big problem for any learners of Russian.

I certainly didn't want to downplay the complexity of Russian phonology in general and palatalization in particular. I just mentioned palatalization, because it's a well-known problem that many foreigners have.

Марк wrote:
You'll mostly still be understood if you mispronounce Arabic R too.

Maybe, but only if there's only one rolling R in a word and only if the context is unambiguous.

Марк wrote:
There must be a lot of native Arabic speakers who cannot pronounce the alveolar trill either and they are somehow understood.

I have yet to encounter a native Arabic speaker who cannot pronounce a rolling R. AFAIK, Arab children who cannot pronounce a rolling R are sent to speech therapists.

Марк wrote:
A significant part of native Russian speakers pronounce г as [ɣ], so the example is irrelevant.

In that case [ɣ] is an allophone of [g] in Russian, however in Arabic [g] (which is only spoken in Egypt) and [ɣ] are phonemes. I.e. you replace this sound in a word you get a completely different meaning. It's the same case with [r] and [ɣ].

For example:

بغى [baɣɑː] to seek, desire, covet
برى [barɑː] to trim, shape, sharpen

Марк wrote:
Any pronunciation is manageable because native speakers manage to speak effortlessly.

Of course, native speakers speak their native languages effortlessly. That's not the point. What I meant by "manageable" is a phonemic inventory that doesn't use consonant types completely alien to Western European languages. Russian does contain a couple of difficult consonant clusters, but it doesn't have, for example, pharyngeal consonants.

Edited by Doitsujin on 10 February 2014 at 12:29am

1 person has voted this message useful

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 10 of 23
10 February 2014 at 8:46am | IP Logged 
Doitsujin wrote:
Марк wrote:
What's unusual in щ? It's not more unusual than ш. Щ is
exactly the same as French ch in chi and chu, for example.

While щ is indeed often pronounced like ш,

Never (the only exception I can recall is помощник).
Doitsujin wrote:
there are also
words in which it's realized as two consonants in a row [ɕɕ], which many foreigners
might find difficult to pronounce. If you don't believe me, ask any of your friends who
doesn't speak Russian to pronounce, for example, Хрущёв (Khrushchev) [xruˈɕɕof].
I also cannot think offhand of another Western European language where one letter
corresponds to a sequence of two identical consonants.

It's a long consonant, not two identical consonants. щ is lengthened only in certain
positions and the lengthening is not phonemic. Хрущёв is usually pronounced with a
short щ, so it's not a problem at all. Whether щ is long or short in Russian is a minor
detail of pronunciation; I don't know why foreigners like to focus on that.
Doitsujin wrote:

I have yet to encounter a native Arabic speaker who cannot pronounce a rolling R.
AFAIK, Arab children who cannot pronounce a rolling R are sent to speech therapists.

Russian children who cannot pronounce a rolling R are often sent to speech therapists
too, yet there are plenty of people who cannot pronounce it.
Doitsujin wrote:

In that case [ɣ] is an allophone of
[g] in Russian, however in Arabic [g] (which is only spoken in Egypt) and [ɣ] are
phonemes. I.e. you replace this sound
in a word you get a completely different meaning. It's the same case with [r]
and [ɣ].

For example:

بغى [baɣɑː] to seek, desire, covet
برى [barɑː] to trim, shape, sharpen

год [ɣot] year
рот [rot] mouth
Doitsujin wrote:
What I meant by "manageable" is a phonemic inventory that doesn't use
consonant types completely alien to Western European languages. Russian does contain a
couple of difficult consonant clusters, but it doesn't have, for example, pharyngeal
consonants.

Why consonant, not vowel types? Russian doesn't have any odd consonants, but it has
many slight differences, which are hard to perceive and produce for foreigners.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5129 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 23
10 February 2014 at 10:39am | IP Logged 
I am not familiar with Hindi, but between Russian and Arabic, I would definitely say that Arabic is harder. That does not mean that Russian is easy, just that it is not as hard as Arabic. And actually French is not that easy to learn to pronounce well either if you speak a Germanic language. As a Norwegian, pronouncing German is a walk in the park, it is not even something we really think about. French is a whole different ball game. And given all the horrible French pronunciation I have heard, I would guess that we are not the only ones to struggle with it.

In Russian there are no sounds I cannot say at all - even though there are a couple I still struggle a little with with. In Arabic there were several that took me weeks to learn how to pronounce. I remember my teacher saying that I should not be miserable about it, that it was particularly difficult because I was a girl, that Arabic sounds were easier to learn for men. Yes. Cause that really helped. What was I supposed to do, take a sex change operation?
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 23
11 February 2014 at 6:10pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Basically, I'm not good at recognizing when I am doing voiced vs unvoiced, if I
am doing it at all. I can tell the difference with /b] and /p], [t] and [d], [k] and
[g], but not [x] and [ɣ] (velar) / [χ] and [ʁ] (uvular).

For the latter pairs it is much harder. However [χ] and [ʁ] aren't voiced/unvoiced -
one is a fricative and the other an approximant. For me they sound very different,
because one of them is g/ch to me and the other is r (in the Dutch dialect of my area).
[x] and [ɣ] (velar) are historically the phonemes for ch and g in the Netherlands, but
in the west they have hardened and merged to a uvular sound. The distinction between
[x] and [ɣ] is hard for me to hear too and I come from a place where some people make
this distinction and some don't (and very often voiceless/voiced merges in Dutch).

As for the pronunciation directives of the different languages - all languages have
their subtleties and I never find pronunciation straightforward for any language,
whichever one it is. Russian palatalization vs iotation is tough, but there are not
enough minimal pairs for me to bother with that difference more than ш/щ bothers me. (I
find щ easier). As much as Mark likes to complain about palatalization in Russian, I
could do the same for foreigners who cannot pronounce the diphthongs in Dutch
correctly, or mix up h and g and ch (especially Slavic people who don't distinguish
between h and ch and g, which are three different sounds in Dutch!!!!), or Anglophones
who somehow seem to hear that coda -r in Dutch in some dialects becomes an English r,
and thus mistakenly assume that all r's are like that (no, never). Or the subtleties of
how "v" is pronounced in Dutch, and that it is not the same as "w", and that w is not
English w but halfway between (and actually w historically is closer to Russian В).

Once you get into any language you will find all of these little things, but they are
not impossible to pronounce, however hard to master. The real trouble is that people do
not pay enough attention to phonology (one thing in which I agree with Mark), and that
suprasegmental pronunciation is entirely ignored in language teaching.

My biggest problem in pronouncing is not with the individual phonemes usually, but how
they roll together. When I pronounce Romanian, you can hear me stress-time it and go
Faaată (mistakenly lengthening the a due to the ă ending which is a schwa and thus
mispronouncing it).
3 persons have voted this message useful

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5023 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 13 of 23
11 February 2014 at 7:40pm | IP Logged 
Some of you seem to be concentrating on spelling and its difficulty which is a different question from the difficulty of the phonology.

I know this isn't terribly helpful, but in my view the three languages mentioned are comparable in terms of their phonological difficulty for an English speaker. Harder than Spanish, French or German, not as hard as a tonal or click language.

Марк
Russian Federation
Joined 4851 days ago

2096 posts - 2972 votes 
Speaks: Russian*

Message 14 of 23
11 February 2014 at 8:39pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

Russian palatalization vs iotation is tough, but there are not
enough minimal pairs for me to bother with that difference more than ш/щ bothers me. (I
find щ easier).

The problem is not minimal pairs. The problem is that they are not associated with each
other in Russian minds. That's like [v] and [w] in English: there are few minimal pairs
but if you pronounce "wery vell", you sound wrong to a native English speaker. If you
pronounce soft and hard consonants correctly and replace consonants + yod with soft
consonants, that's OK. BUT if you think that soft consonants are [Cj] and pronounce
them in such a way (as many textbooks teach), you get a terrible accent. That's why I'm
so angry at textbooks of Russian. So, saying пяный instead of пьяный is much better
than saying пьят instead of пять.
tarvos wrote:
As much as Mark likes to complain about palatalization in Russian,
I don't complain about that. I complain about the way it's explained in
textbooks and about statements like "You can pronounce Russian as it is spelt (this "as
it is spelt" has nothing to do with the way Russians pronounce something "as it is
spelt") and be understood" "If you aren't a perfectionist, you don't need to work at
your prnonunciation, you will be understood anyway" and other stuff like that. For some
reason it is Russian which deserves such an attitude. Hard and soft consonants is a
thing which creates significant problems for speakers of all the languages, not just
some languages.
tarvos wrote:
or mix up h and g and ch (especially Slavic people who don't
distinguish between h and ch and g, which are three different sounds in Dutch!!!!)

You said ch and g merged in some Dutch dialects too. [x] and [γ] are completely
different sounds for Russians and for speakers of other Slavic languages too. Several
Slavic languages have voiced h which is opposed to [x].

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4502 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 15 of 23
11 February 2014 at 9:28pm | IP Logged 
Марк wrote:

The problem is not minimal pairs. The problem is that they are not associated with each
other in Russian minds. That's like [v] and [w] in English: there are few minimal pairs
but if you pronounce "wery vell", you sound wrong to a native English speaker. If you
pronounce soft and hard consonants correctly and replace consonants + yod with soft
consonants, that's OK. BUT if you think that soft consonants are [Cj] and pronounce
them in such a way (as many textbooks teach), you get a terrible accent. That's why I'm
so angry at textbooks of Russian. So, saying пяный instead of пьяный is much better
than saying пьят instead of пять.

And somehow, we have all survived... The thing I am trying to get at, though, is that h
and /x/ are the same for Russian speakers, but /h/ and /x/ are different for Dutch
speakers, and we merge /x/ and /χ/. For Dutch speakers, there is literally no way to
understand soft signs because even the sound /sh/ doesn't exist in Dutch and is
analysed as an allophone of s+j (and written as such).

Therefore I understand that soft/hard consonants are a problematic concept to most
foreigners, particularly to Dutch people. HOWEVER, the question of this thread was how
it relates to the pronunciation of Hindi or Arabic, and in that sense, Arabic and Hindi
both have pronunciation problems which are equally problematic when compared to
Russian.

Russian phonology is poorly explained in English textbook manuals, but so is Arabic
phonology, Spanish phonology, French phonology and so on. Pronunciation is simply never
or poorly taught in courses and textbooks and that is what gives us such problematic
accents.

Quote:
You said ch and g merged in some Dutch dialects too. [x] and [γ] are completely
different sounds for Russians and for speakers of other Slavic languages too. Several
Slavic languages have voiced h which is opposed to [x].

Correct. In common speech in the west, both often default to χ - you will hear it in
the Hague and Rotterdam for example. In Amsterdam they usually merge voiced/voiceless
anyway, and it goes for all consonant pairs except k/t/p (but since Dutch lacks the
voiced equivalent of k it is effectively the same thing).

However, in standard Dutch (but it's a utopia because NOBODY speaks standard Dutch
anyway) [x] and [γ] are separate.

It is true that Czech has h as opposed to ch. Russian, Polish and Serbo-Croatian
however don't and form the major part of immigrants to the Netherlands when it comes to
Slavic languages. I can easily tell whether someone is Slavic or not by the way they
pronounce h, g, and ch.

Edited by tarvos on 11 February 2014 at 9:35pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4639 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 16 of 23
11 February 2014 at 11:53pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
It is true that Czech has h as opposed to ch. Russian, Polish and Serbo-Croatian however don't

Fun fact: The Silesian dialects of Polish do have the [h] vs. [x] opposition, but unfortunately they're the only ones. Speakers from Warsaw don't even hear the difference, just like Russians.

This discussion contains 23 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version