Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 2 of 12
09 February 2014 at 3:11pm | IP Logged 
Maybe that particular map is correct, but I'm skeptical about the general quality of information given on that website. I checked the post on Cambodian... it claims that "Linguistially it is related to Lao, Thai, Vietnamese, Min and some other languages of the area. All these languages as well as others such as Munda in India are grouped in the Min-Vietnamese language family." According to other, reliable, sources, Thai is a member of the Tai-Kadai language family and not Austronesian as claimed here. Furthermore, the video clip linked in as an example of spoken Khmer is actually a Thai documentary on a disputed temple right on the border between the two countries. I wouldn't trust this website at all.

EDIT: Ah, I see that you are the owner of that website and want to advertise your blog here. I think you should research the topics you write about a bit more carefully. You shouldn't write about Cambodian if you can't even distinguish it from Thai, and you shouldn't make linguistic claims which contradict well-established theories without providing evidence.

Edited by Bakunin on 09 February 2014 at 4:13pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4459 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 3 of 12
09 February 2014 at 3:56pm | IP Logged 
FranceCulture had a slightly more detailed map, including numbers for "frequent" and "occasional" speakers: link (scroll down the page to see)

I printed a copy and brought it to my French Meetup. Ended up being a nice discussion-starter.

Edited by tastyonions on 09 February 2014 at 3:58pm

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 5 of 12
09 February 2014 at 4:21pm | IP Logged 
mitsos wrote:
Bakunin wrote:
...not Austronesian as claimed here...

You got it all wrong -the word that is used here in not Austronesian but Austroasiatic
aka South Asian!

Do I? You wrote that Thai is member of the Min-Vietnamese language family. Any evidence? And what about that video clip in Thai which you claim to be an example of spoken Khmer?

EDIT: I see that you're editing your post on Cambodian, changing "related" to "influenced by" etc. Good. Remove the video in Thai and replace it by something in Khmer, and your post is good to go.

Edited by Bakunin on 09 February 2014 at 4:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4924 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 

Message 8 of 12
09 February 2014 at 4:34pm | IP Logged 
Austroasiatic, Austronesian, doesn't matter. Tai-Kadai languages are neither of the two, they're unrelated. Here's what wikipedia has to say about Austroasiatic languages: "Austroasiatic languages have a disjunct distribution across India, Bangladesh and Southeast Asia, separated by regions where other languages are spoken. They appear to be the autochthonous languages of Southeast Asia, with the neighboring Indic, Tai, Dravidian, Austronesian, and Tibeto-Burman languages being the result of later migrations (Sidwell & Blench, 2011)."

Anyway, I'm not going to waste my time arguing with you. I think I've made my point.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version