13 messages over 2 pages: 1
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6392 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 9 of 13
11 February 2014 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
You don't have to do it by hand, you could type them. Or just repeat without writing down. Be sure to choose something that's genuinely fun.
It's also a useful test - if after enough repeats you're capable of that, you need to focus on understanding more without the rewinding, subtitles etc.

oh and try lyricstraining.com =)

Edited by Serpent on 11 February 2014 at 8:33am

2 persons have voted this message useful

cod2
Groupie
United Kingdom
Joined 4349 days ago

48 posts - 69 votes 

Message 10 of 13
11 February 2014 at 10:34am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
You don't have to do it by hand, you could type them. Or just repeat without writing down. Be sure to choose something that's genuinely fun.
It's also a useful test - if after enough repeats you're capable of that, you need to focus on understanding more without the rewinding, subtitles etc.

oh and try lyricstraining.com =)

I like the idea of repeating.
1 person has voted this message useful

Kerisa
United Kingdom
xuexichinese.com/
Joined 3754 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Studies: Mandarin

Message 11 of 13
12 February 2014 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
When I started learning Chinese I used to watch films/TV with subtitles, infact I wouldn't watch one without them. I found that to be damaging in regards to my listening comprehension. I would simply read the subtitles, finish the moive and pay no attention to what was being said. I stopped using subtitles and started trying to figure out what they were saying on my own. Everytime I came across unfamiliar words that were vital to understanding the storyline I would look them up in the dictionary, others I'd let go by until I heard them again. I would write down interesting idioms/phrases/words etc, ask my friends about them and write down the information in my jorunal.

I used to use Byki for this purpose, it is full of words I have heard in movies or words people have used in conversation. I am now using memrise, I think I might like planting my vocabulary. Do you make flashcards with your vocabulary or just write them down in a list?

What I did and still do now is immerse myself in the language, I rarely watch English TV nowadays. Even if I do not understand all the words in a program, I watch so many of them that I am bound to come across those words again, and by that time I would probably have learnt it by other means(if not then I look it up).

Regards
2 persons have voted this message useful

DinaAlia
Pentaglot
Norway
Joined 3727 days ago

24 posts - 49 votes
Speaks: Swedish, Danish, Norwegian*, English, French
Studies: Greek, Latin, Arabic (Egyptian), German, Spanish, Russian, Arabic (Written), Icelandic
Studies: Modern Hebrew

Message 12 of 13
24 February 2014 at 4:41pm | IP Logged 
I learned Pitman's Shorthand specifically in order to make myself pay more attention to the sound of words.
1 person has voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4961 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 13 of 13
24 February 2014 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
I employ different techniques according to my level at that language.

1. I watch my first film or episode with subtitles in English (or in a language i
master).
2. Then I start with subtitles in the target language, but I copy/paste them at Google
Translator so I can check the meaning of obscure words in real time. I did this a lot
with Norwegian: I'd get the subtitles in the left and their GT translation in the
right, with a small player window playing the episode with no subtitles. After some
hours I notice I need the translation less and less.
3. Next step is to use the subtitles in the video screen itself. I pause for some
essential words and look them up (sometimes I have to type in a sentence for the sake
of context). This is the stage when unfortunately I tend to focus too much on text and
less on speech for the sake of spotting unknown words, so I have to reminded myself I'm
doing a listening activity.
4. When it starts to get too repetitive, I just decide not to look words up or to do it
even less often. Then it's time to drop subtitles.
5. I like my first materials with subtitles to be dubbed ones, and series. That's what
I did with French. After a few episodes I was familiarized with the speech, the tone,
the speed of the main characters. Since it was dubbed, it was also clearer than normal
native speech.
6. When the dubbing material starts to get too easy, it's time to proceed to native
material without subtitles (I mean, as the main source. You can always alternate one
native material alongside your setting of dubbed series). You may find it much harder
than the dubbed series and you'll feel that you've been delluded and overestimating
yourself before, but don't give up. After some hours the totally native material will
start to get transparent, too. You'll see a noticeable, traceable progress and that can
be pretty much motivating. I just went through this in French. At my first native films
I had to resort to subtitles when I really wanted to get it all, but now I can
understand even comedies and laugh altogether (when it's actually funny, should I say).

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version