161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 9 of 10
11 February 2014 at 2:41am | IP Logged 
shk00design wrote:
Throughout the day you'd try to think only in your target
language. And everyday people would record things in
their day planner, write notes of various kinds. You basically stop making notes
in English or your native
language and do it intentionally in your target language.

There are all sorts of electronic devices around you with menu settings. If your target
language is available, you'd
select that language. You can even change the background image on your computer to show
text in your target
language. Are these significant? May be in the long run...

Thinking in German would be the best thing ever! I can do that, but my thoughts rarely
ever manifest themselves in German without me purposely doing it, but it happens
sometimes. Changing languages settings helps a lot more than people would think. I
learned a lot of words just by navigating my browser in German.
2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4085 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 10 of 10
11 February 2014 at 3:41am | IP Logged 
Forcing oneself to think at all times in the language (or several target languages) is
very useful. The mind is the source of what ends up being written and spoken, so
changing the mind to another language changes the source. One method to force oneself
that I use is to prohibit myself from thinking further unless it is a language not
English. In other words, I tell myself that I am prohibited from thinking at all unless
I proceed in a non-English language. The body will eventually adapt, even if it sounds
harsh on oneself.

Also, reading news only in a target language with this method can be used as well--i.e.
prohibit oneself from reading or watching the news unless the news is not in English;
no German newspaper, then no news at all. Or trying to research information, if not in
German, then no information at all. In effect, it is like punishing oneself, but it
forces one to stop relying on one's native language and switch dependance upon the
target language.
6 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version